Water meters

petethegeek

I bet you have a great selection of pens, post it notes, tippex and staples at home too ;):lol:

I might have :yp:

That reminds me I'm leaving in a month so will definitely have to stock up

There's also a work shower but thought that was taking things too far. Wonder what the Mrs would say if I suggested using the water butts and a camping shower in the garden :hmm:

Edited by Dr W

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would NEVER have a water meter installed...in years to come when all they have to do is put the rate up and you will get stung the same way as Gas and Electricity Boards do.

Just don't do it.

Yeah, because they can't put up the rate of standard flat charge water rates can they? :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Think about the differential re usage...no extra charge for using more...unless of course you are on meter.

:yes:

The OP says "we are empty nesters". I read this as a couple with no kids at home who don't use a lot of water and don't need to hammer "free water" just to see a differential saving.

In the same way, I bet they pay road tax on their vehicles but don't choose to drive around aimlessly just to get their moneys worth.

Pete, the deal is on the table to trial the meter, why not give it a go and switch back if necessary? I will wager £100 that you won't go back.

Pete, the deal is on the table to trial the meter, why not give it a go and switch back if necessary? I will wager £100 that you won't go back.

It certainly looks the way to go. I just need to check it will be OK to pop round to Dr W's for a quick shower every now and then.

Edited by petethegeek

...and I wonder what the position would be with a leak your side of the meter?...but you are probably right.

:unsure:

We had an underground leak, 'our side' of the meter, which went for weeks before we found out. It added an extra £300 to the charge we normally pay, but Welsh Water did allow us to only pay half the cost.

To be fair I have got a little obsessive about saving water to the point I'll wait and use the loo at work so I can save on flushes :blush: however you have to remember that as well as the water charge you also get charged again for sewerage so worth reducing comsumption.

Well funny.

I have a mad uncle who is a retired chartered accountant.

He saves his flushes up to save money - yeah, nasty. He ha also been caught going to the bottom of the garden with a watering can to get rain water from a water butt to put in the toilet cistern.

He also re-uses paper kitchen towels and dries them out on the boiler.

You accountants are a very funny bunch.

Well it must have changed a lot, going by responses. In 2002 we had a meter fitted but didn't have to go on it so I thought I'd suck it and see. 5 bed house, me, her and two small kids, average size garden, not particulalrly high water usage, but I suppose the washing machine was on a fair bit, it worked out about twice as much on the meter.

Well funny.

I have a mad uncle who is a retired chartered accountant.

He saves his flushes up to save money - yeah, nasty. He ha also been caught going to the bottom of the garden with a watering can to get rain water from a water butt to put in the toilet cistern.

He also re-uses paper kitchen towels and dries them out on the boiler.

You accountants are a very funny bunch.

Sad isn't it :lol: I reckon if I could find a way of pumping water from the water butts to the cistern I would but too lazy to go and collect.

I'd draw the line at drying out paper towels though.

Edited by Dr W

When we left our old house in 2008 our water rates were £130 per year - Buyer rang us twice to confirm it - we moved to a renter and water was £500 - no wonder she queried our old house rates - first thing we did was have a meter fitted and reduced bill to £250-£300 but we were scrimping - had water butt's everywhere - Now at this place our standing charge was £318 last year so we are keeping to paying standing charge and make sure we get our money's worth - I wash car every day and we drown plant's in garden - :good:

I have though found a flaw in these low flush toilets - we are a bungalow and as such when you flush you haven't got the drop on pipe to get water moving and if like ours the drains were jerry built paper get's stuck in joint (clay pipe) - so every week two buckets of water were poured down to make sure it was clean - Fixed it now though with plastic bends.

Utilities are a right rip off.

Dave

I reckon if I could find a way of pumping water from the water butts to the cisternt.

You can, there are lots of products available on the market for this... You do need separate pipework banded with Grey stripes (for Grey water - or non-potable water, not processed for drinking)

At current water prices it's not really economic to do, but with price rises....... Who knows?

:hmm:

We are with Anglian water and had a water meter fitted compulsarily late last year, anglian water phoned up to ask when they could come round to fit the metre, i said i dont wont one and was told you are getting one whether you want one or not.

I then said that i wanted to stay with my usual water rates(there are 6 in our household) and they said that would be fine so i asked why a water metre then? this was met with silence.

Ian.

Just me and eldest D at home.

Went on various "check water useage" sites, seems I could save around, on average, £150pa AND with the option of reverting within 12 months, so coming on monday morning(4hrs quote, this I gotta see :lol: ) to fit it. I'm with Yorkshire water, so will have to see how it goes. They're sticking up bills by about 8% and paying over £500 on band D now.

A long while back, a shopkeeping friend in the village(Recently changed shop), had a demand for water rates, when she had no water supply, it was for disposing of rainfall into sewerage. Told her not to pay it, can't cut you off :lol: Never heard the result though

• 2 years later...

Bump,

So Southern Water are currently installing a water meter outside my house right now, I have no choice in this.

Am I right in saying that if I end up having to pay more I can ask to go back to un metered as long as it's within a year?

I don't take the **** with water use so can't imagine it's going to be cheaper with a meter.

It makes me chuckle the big drama over water shortage considering the amount of free water that has fallen out of the sky recently. Hosepipe ban soon no doubt, what a joke.

I pay £27.14 a month over 10 months, so thats £271.40 per year

Live on me own so dont know if a meter would save me much?

how do you work it out?

just checked

according to Northumbria water it would save me £7 a month

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/shaun.gif

just saw this again so thought I would update

Mine did reduce from £27 per month to £18 per month,

It was monitored over the year and because I was in so much credit it has now been reduced to just over £5 per month!!

Yes, my water rates are pennies over £5 per month,

Switching to a meter has saved me a small fortune,

Wish I had done it years ago

:shaun:

Can anyone with a meter let me know how many cubic litres they use per month? I've been in my house five years and pay on average 250 to 300 pounds every six months, there's only two of us and I'm really careful with what I use as it seems so expensive. I'm beggining to think my meter might be on the blink!

same here our bill for 6 months last was £400 , that seems a bit high to me , biggest mistake we ever had was having a water meter put in :no:

As per Richard H above. We pay the highest rates by far in the country (South West Water) because of 'Clean Sweep' which is to improve the standard of our coastal waters so all you holiday makers aren't ill after spending the day on our glorious beaches. The meter system is far, far cheaper for us without scrimping.

Actually a few of the places we stayed at when we were in Corwall had water pumped from wells!

Actually a few of the places we stayed at when we were in Corwall had water pumped from wells!

Now thats the way forward - get a borehole £3-4k and all the water you can use for nothing. Add a septic tank or a rush pit (SDS) and your water bill is negligible.

If you have room and can afford it, go for a wind turbine 40 MW type. Buy 40 acres and hobby farm. Make sure you have at least 4 acres of woodland and all you have to pay is your Council Tax. The food you grow will taste better and life will get better all round. At least thats a bit of my dream.

Eventually everyone will be on a meter. Those who aren't will be priced out so will have to get one. I have one and the price is almost fair. Maybe they should double the rates for UN metered and charge me less as they use more.... It's only fair you pay for what you use and seems bizzare some don't have a meter. I don't think it's fair to knowingly let consumers switch back before 12 months etc. Yeah well we're using a **** load and don't wana pay for it so let those with meters pay for ours.