springer or cocker?

kxkirk

With WGD on this one.Had dozens of springer but for the last 12+ years have only had cockers. Just love the little things just want to please you.But as to which one is best a good springer will take some beating.Having said that i'll stick to my cockers they are lovely to shoot over and IMO a bit easier to train. :good: Good luck on your choice.

My past springers have been so much easier all round than my present cocker. Maybe he's a one off, but I would say based on my experience with 3 cockers and 2 springers that the cockers are more for the experienced handler with the ability to give huge amounts of time and mental stimulation. In short, not a novice handlers dog. Just my findings.

Edited by turbo33

My past springers have been so much easier all round than my present cocker. Maybe he's a one off, but I would say based on my experience with 3 cockers and 2 springers that the cockers are more for the experienced handler with the ability to give huge amounts of time and mental stimulation. In short, not a novice handlers dog. Just my findings.

I've also heard Springers are more forgiving of beginner trainer mistakes. As a beginner trainer who makes lots of mistakes, I'm glad I got one.

I know an experienced trainer who has had many Cockers himself. He just seems to have a magic touch with all dogs and even he has been known to refer to them as the Devil's Spawn.

Total agree turbo,

cockers are head strong little f00ckers that you have to ask to do something, if you tell them then they sulk big time.

Spanners you just tell them like you would a lab.lmao.

love my cockers to bits, they work their hearts out for me and then come home into the house as pets and play with the kids all week.

Spocker, yer might work, you might get the better one, but you might also get the ****.

Total agree turbo,

cockers are head strong little f00ckers that you have to ask to do something, if you tell them then they sulk big time.

Spanners you just tell them like you would a lab.lmao.

Spocker, yer might work, you might get the better one, but you might also get the ****.

Bang on Activii, And they don't accept criticism :lol: :lol:

FWIW I don't think you can generalise the characteristics of cockers any more than you can springers or any other breed.

The cocker gene pool is expanding but a handful of very popular sires in recent years has led to a lot of cockers having very similar characteristics, but not all.

Research the breeding of the dog you decide on and you've more chance of getting a dog that suits you.

Not sure where the head strong bit comes from. :hmm: The cockers iv'e had and helped train which is a lot,have been all ok. Only thing most people get trouble with is sitting and staying,and getting them to handle back.A top handler who has made up loads of FTCH dogs told me when i started to go into cocker to get on the handling back asap.Which was the best advice i had. In my opinion they are soft dogs to train never need to shout at them. Like wise with springers some are soft some you can be a little harder on.

No two dogs train the same every one is different that is why a lot come unstuck if they've only had 1 or 2 dogs.

I have only ever bought pups with top trial blood in them though.In my springer days Gwibernant,Badgercourt,Gorsty,Cortman,type a few Rytex also.Also had loads of labs.

Cockers i have had FTCH danderw Druids litter brother,Druid,Rackatear,Jeffersons,Goldstar,Scimiter,Dai Bach,and lots more pups and have all been cracking dogs.

Just pick a type that you like and get on and train it. :good:

Not sure where the head strong bit comes from. :hmm: The cockers iv'e had and helped train which is a lot,have been all ok. Only thing most people get trouble with is sitting and staying,and getting them to handle back.A top handler who has made up loads of FTCH dogs told me when i started to go into cocker to get on the handling back asap.Which was the best advice i had. In my opinion they are soft dogs to train never need to shout at them. Like wise with springers some are soft some you can be a little harder on.

No two dogs train the same every one is different that is why a lot come unstuck if they've only had 1 or 2 dogs.

I have only ever bought pups with top trial blood in them though.In my springer days Gwibernant,Badgercourt,Gorsty,Cortman,type a few Rytex also.Also had loads of labs.

Cockers i have had FTCH danderw Druids litter brother,Druid,Rackatear,Jeffersons,Goldstar,Scimiter,Dai Bach,and lots more pups and have all been cracking dogs.

Just pick a type that you like and get on and train it. :good:

:good: :good: top advice. Some of the UK trial bred springer stuff is really soft at the moment whereas I got one over from NI a couple of years back - complete headcase and a pig headed sod, great on her day though :lol:

Thanks WGD, Lot of people get the wrong advice or listen to the wrong people, :lol: The times iv'e heard the don't start training till 8 or 9 months old saying. All the easy stuff should be done asap.When i have had a litter of pups they all will retrieve ball by 8 weeks old.Only thrown a few yards or so i just sit on my doorstep playing with them.By the time they are 8 months should be on the whistle hupping and turning and retrieving pretty good.By the time they are 9 or so months ready for the rabbit pen.

Lot easier to teach them asap than when 9 months + Only time 9+ months on is if its in for training.

But making sure the first 4 months is playing time. But that is my opinion and it works for me :D

Thanks WGD, Lot of people get the wrong advice or listen to the wrong people, :lol: The times iv'e heard the don't start training till 8 or 9 months old saying. All the easy stuff should be done asap.When i have had a litter of pups they all will retrieve ball by 8 weeks old.Only thrown a few yards or so i just sit on my doorstep playing with them.By the time they are 8 months should be on the whistle hupping and turning and retrieving pretty good.By the time they are 9 or so months ready for the rabbit pen.

Lot easier to teach them asap than when 9 months + Only time 9+ months on is if its in for training.

But making sure the first 4 months is playing time. But that is my opinion and it works for me :D

very good post

I've got both, and love both. For a novice? Couldn't tell you to be honest like everyone says it depends what dog you pick out the litter! My young springer is a complete nutcase :lol:. You'll never know which will be softer/harder. Not sure about cockers getting hung up on going back :hmm:??? If you train it right to begin with and don't cut corners there's no reason why you should struggle with it. I would say do a bit of homework, go and look for a bitch you like the look of in the field, cocker or springer, and find out if she's having a litter....then go from there. Good dogs are worth waiting for :good:

I think the quarry and the ground should have a bearing. I have seen a springer or two that can carry a Canada goose - i doubt there is any cocker that can do that effectively. Cockers often struggle with a big hare, especially on difficult ground. Springers can often stuggle with tighter places though like very thick rhodies (though there are some springers that look awfully like cockers in size). If i was after a spanner and i am not i might be tempted by a good Sprocker personally

If i was after a spanner and i am not i might be tempted by a good Sprocker personally

Now that I just don't get. Why? Size seems to be your reason for differentiating between the breeds, and by researching breeding you can have a large cocker (size of a small springer) or a small springer (size of a large cocker) so why mix and match?

Edited by WGD