New rifle arrived

gixer1

My new cabinet addition arrived today a Winchester 9422SLLR, fantastic rifle in really good condition, I got rid of a CZ to buy this and I was worried I'd regret it but definatley not, set up rows or clays today and had a fantastic time breaking them with a couple of friends (whilst receiving cowboy jokes :) )

It proved to be an accurate little blighter even on irons! And isn't noisy even with the lack of moderator...

Very impressed AND it's shorter overall than a 16" CZ without the moderator!

2a6a924f.jpg

And with it's big brother the 9422M....

c11aafbd.jpg

bb544a46.jpg

Edited by gixer1

Looks like a toy gun. Sorry :(

Don't be sorry - I agree! They are tiny, But a lovely looking toy, and it works really well - a joy to shoot free handed without a rest.

:lol: at the tin can alley as I think that's why I wanted it - I had the tin can alley as a kid and loved it :good:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

With the iron sights, what sort of distance can you be accurate to ?

I'm pretty sure I could hit a landrover at 75 yards... :lol:

In all seriousness myself and 2 friends were consistently breaking 3" clays one after the other at 30-35 yards, which isn't a massive distance - but for the first time with this rifle and iron sights and also freestanding for a few shots I'd say it was fine, I think it would pretty much the same story out to 60-70ish with 22LR...

We setup a plastic bucket and it was consistently hitting the same area on the bucket and making the hole bigger so the groups seem ok too... :good:

I should add - oddly I couldn't hit bu**er all with the 22 mag when I tried that with irons... :blink:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Good for you Gixer1, looks like new!

They no toy! They handle just like a little shotgun. Running targets are so natural!

Mine with irons will take rabbit front end shots beyond 50yds, just centering a silhoueted rabbit is in danger at 100yds. Same gun scoped has taken many a witnessed 130yd shot.

I love that mag :good:

U.

Used to shoot a lever action a few years ago (357 magnum) and had some wonderful fun with it .Very good accuracy up to 100 yards with iron sights . easily get a 4 inch group at 100 yards . Jacketed bullets shot better than cast lead bullets and of course easier to clean with the jacketed . Have fun .

Harnser .

must say im a fan i would fancy one myself do a bit of rabbiting with the old iron sights

It very "natural" feeling as you mount the gun if you know what i mean - although as I said I couldn't seem to hit anything accurately when trying the irons on the 22 WMR version - this could have been down to only messing with it for a short time - the same rifle shoots a good group with a scope.

Superb fun and I really do prefer the feel of the rifle to my CZ - which is high praise as it was a cracking little rifle...

Regards,

Gixer

Nice - Wish I still had mine! I got fed up with a scope on mine, and shot a few bunnies with open sights. Kept the range sensible - No more than 20 yards, and was very satisfying to get 'back to basics'.

Lovely wee rifles.

A good friend suggestse a red dot sight which is fairly small and unobtrusive but it just seems a shame to stick anything on the top of it - myself and a couple of friends really were getting confident breaking 3" clays at 30-35 yards - then once they were broken we were hitting the smaller pieces! and some of that was free hand - it was that comfortable to shoot - I would love a go with a 30/30 one or such like....

Do they do any good stalking caliber underlevers? :sly::hmm::lol:

Regards,

Gixer

I owned a Marlin 30/30 underlever some years ago. It was the short barrel version. 16" i think and it was great fun i remember. Nice calibre as well :yes: . Nice rifle you got there in fantastic condition. Enjoy :good:

ATB,

Pat

A good friend suggestse a red dot sight which is fairly small and unobtrusive but it just seems a shame to stick anything on the top of it - myself and a couple of friends really were getting confident breaking 3" clays at 30-35 yards - then once they were broken we were hitting the smaller pieces! and some of that was free hand - it was that comfortable to shoot - I would love a go with a 30/30 one or such like....

Regards,

Gixer

They sure do!

bloodcard019.jpg

Win94 trapper in 30/30.

3030deer.jpg

Another Win94 in 30/30 and a Marlin 336 in 30/30.

U.

We don't get to see many of these types of rifle on here, but if all goes to plan (does it ever) I'll be playing with a hexagonal barrel model 1892 Winchester from about 1900 in .44, and a much more recent Marlin .357 Magnum in a couple of weeks!

We don't get to see many of these types of rifle on here, but if all goes to plan (does it ever) I'll be playing with a hexagonal barrel model 1892 Winchester from about 1900 in .44, and a much more recent Marlin .357 Magnum in a couple of weeks!

Good for you :good:

Leverguns are seen aa a bit of a joke over here.

Not by me!

scotfox005.jpg

scotfox002.jpg

U.

Regards,

Gixer

I scoped my Win 357mag using an odd set of mounts which allows you to still use the open sights by looking through them should you wish.

Picture464Custom.jpg

This is the place which makes them and are available from most gunshops for about £20.

I scoped my Win 357mag using an odd set of mounts which allows you to still use the open sights by looking through them should you wish.

Picture464Custom.jpg

This is the place which makes them and are available from most gunshops for about £20.

Thanks, I have infact got a set of look through mounts (the ones you look under the scope) but haven't tried them on the 22LR yet - just the 22 mag...the reason being where the rear iron sight sits is just under where the Obj en of the scope is and they need to be really high mounts for most scopes to clear.. :good:

Underdog - I find the same thing - people don't seem to have taken to them here which I can't understand as they are such a nice simple little rifle...is it the connection to cowboys or the USA I wonder?

Regards,

Gixer

Makes me laugh, the attitude to our cousins in the "states".

They saved us in the 1st war and the second, and have provided us with countless cartridges to shoot out of rifles of which are the majority. Just where are the British caliber offerings? Very near none.

Our cousins use archery equipment to hunt, for some bizarre reason we think it is wrong!

Our cousins use muzzleloaders to hunt, home office guide lines prevent us allthough no law actually prevents their use! Experts over here say they inhumane, shame they don't watch youtube more often.

Yep, the usual stupid pea sized brain predjudices :rolleyes:

Still got a gixer then?

U.