Finally found my "Moriarty"???

rallyrus

Over the past 3-4 months I've been losing the odd chicken or guinea fowl to Mr Fox, there are locked away at night (chickens that is) guinea fowl roost in the trees near the chicken houses. It would seem that every single time a bird got left out for whatever reason in the morning it would be gone, usually the birds own fault for not going to roost or going in the chicken house.

I've been out more times than I can remember with the lamp and the shotgun, various times of the night/early morning and I think once I've seen a fox, other end of my field bout 80-100yds, paid no attention to my calls just carried on moving.

I've had a bit of success with the callers in other places so I know I was okish with them (mouth callers) why wasn't I seeing any foxes when clearly they're here?!

The chickens have been untouched the last month ot two until last week when they where left out, in the morning I was minus 5 hens and 1 dead cockeral in the field!! :angry:

I've now got my fac and treated myself to a Foxpro Spitfire after seeing there success when I went out with Stevie & Ian foxing a few weeks back, so thought luck has got to be on my side now

I waited a night or two then thought I'd have a crack at the chicken killer!

I set my self up over looking the field with the spitfire and dead cockeral out, I put the caller on with the chicken distress playing, and kept a close eye with my yukon ranger nv, 15 minutes passed with nothing then out of nowhere a fox running up the field, I kept watching as the fox closed in on the bait, my plan was to light it up and take the shot when it tried to remove the cockerel, it got to about 3-4yds of it then turned and run back down the field!! I changed the call to a squeak and it stopped about 130yds away for 5-10secs then carried on, i'm guessing it must of winded me an got spooked, I didnt turn the lamp on just watched with the nv.

A week or so has passed and I wasn't able to get out again until last night, I set myself up in the same spot, no wind, clear skies and a full moon

I started with mouse/vole squeaks and after 30 mins switched to a different call, tried with the volume low and nothing appeared after about 5-10mins so cranked the volume up and watched.....again with the nv, in no time at all a fox appeared running up the field, as it stopped at the fence line some 25yds from the caller I muted it so as not to spook it but it seemed to loose interest and start heading off down the fence line, I put the caller back on and it turned and come running back, I left the caller on this time, it couldn't get under the fence quick enough!! As soon as it passed the fence line I knew it was in range so put the nv down and took hold of the rifle, I didn't need the lamp on because it was so bright and clear, I waited till it was about 10yds away from the caller and squeezed the trigger. One 17gr CCI TNT sent to the engine room = one dead fox :D

2c98ef4f.jpg

It turned out to be a fat vixen & my first fox taken with a rifle :)

Edited by rallyrus

Over the past 3-4 months I've been losing the odd chicken or guinea fowl to Mr Fox, there are locked away at night (chickens that is) guinea fowl roost in the trees near the chicken houses. It would seem that every single time a bird got left out for whatever reason in the morning it would be gone, usually the birds own fault for not going to roost or going in the chicken house.

I've been out more times than I can remember with the lamp and the shotgun, various times of the night/early morning and I think once I've seen a fox, other end of my field bout 80-100yds, paid no attention to my calls just carried on moving.

I've had a bit of success with the callers in other places so I know I was okish with them (mouth callers) why wasn't I seeing any foxes when clearly they're here?!

The chickens have been untouched the last month ot two until last week when they where left out, in the morning I was minus 5 hens and 1 dead cockeral in the field!! :angry:

I've now got my fac and treated myself to a Foxpro Spitfire after seeing there success when I went out with Stevie & Ian foxing a few weeks back, so thought luck has got to be on my side now

I waited a night or two then thought I'd have a crack at the chicken killer!

I set my self up over looking the field with the spitfire and dead cockeral out, I put the caller on with the chicken distress playing, and kept a close eye with my yukon ranger nv, 15 minutes passed with nothing then out of nowhere a fox running up the field, I kept watching as the fox closed in on the bait, my plan was to light it up and take the shot when it tried to remove the cockerel, it got to about 3-4yds of it then turned and run back down the field!! I changed the call to a squeak and it stopped about 130yds away for 5-10secs then carried on, i'm guessing it must of winded me an got spooked, I didnt turn the lamp on just watched with the nv.

A week or so has passed and I wasn't able to get out again until last night, I set myself up in the same spot, no wind, clear skies and a full moon

I started with mouse/vole squeaks and after 30 mins switched to a different call, tried with the volume low and nothing appeared after about 5-10mins so cranked the volume up and watched.....again with the nv, in no time at all a fox appeared running up the field, as it stopped at the fence line some 25yds from the caller I muted it so as not to spook it but it seemed to loose interest and start heading off down the fence line, I put the caller back on and it turned and come running back, I left the caller on this time, it couldn't get under the fence quick enough!! As soon as it passed the fence line I knew it was in range so put the nv down and took hold of the rifle, I didn't need the lamp on because it was so bright and clear, I waited till it was about 10yds away from the caller and squeezed the trigger. One 17gr CCI TNT sent to the engine room = one dead fox :D

2c98ef4f.jpg

It turned out to be a fat vixen & my first fox taken with a rifle :)

I do like happy endings