work in australia

gemini52

Working on a kitchen today and was chatting to the lady,she was telling me her grandson had taken a year out to do some travelling,thailand,new zealand,and had been in australia for the last four months,he has something to do with accountancy,he was telling her the ammount of jobs available are amazing,not just in his field but in general,so i ask the question what are we lacking in this country,maybe the fact we let every man and his dog in,and the dregs from europe. :no:

I know of at least four people who've moved lock stock and barrel to Oz,

Only to find themselves back in Britain considerably poorer just a few months later and having to start from scratch.

Usual excuses have been, Cost of Living, having to work, Kids go school 2yrs longer, Missing family/friends.

All the same Im very envious, You gotta give it the best shot you can, but can you really do that in 2 or 3 months.

I know of at least four people who've moved lock stock and barrel to Oz,

Only to find themselves back in Britain considerably poorer just a few months later and having to start from scratch.

Usual excuses have been, Cost of Living, having to work, Kids go school 2yrs longer, Missing family/friends.

All the same Im very envious, You gotta give it the best shot you can, but can you really do that in 2 or 3 months.

not in two/three months you cant, seen them come and go here, all to easey to fall back into the "comfort zone" of what was, if you intend to give it a go a word of advise is to commit to two years minimum before going home, you need to see a difference as to why you left, it wont happen in the short term.

and to those that want to go fir it, remember the ones you left behind bellowing in your ear " see you in three months when it all falls apart, make em eat their words, i did for sure, now i go back and try to offer the ssame breaks to guys willing to bring themselves, their skills, the families and the right attitude to make a difference, nine from my trips last year are here and settled in nicely, and do take into consideration that when i bring guys in i go full out making the transition as easy as possible, i have a package in place to all that includes housing, doctors, dentists, realtor, banking, a vehicle schooling, and of course the local pub for a social network, all are integrated into this family, wouldn't be much of a boss otherwise would i, basicaly I DO give a ****E,,,,, looking for more this year..

Martin.

My son is in Australia. Has had a few jobs and when one finishes for whatever reason he finds another within days. I am envious but it is a good excuse to go for hols. Was there just before Christmas and will be there in 6 weeks time. Just trying to figure out how I can get time to go again before the year is out.

Working on a kitchen today and was chatting to the lady,she was telling me her grandson had taken a year out to do some travelling,thailand,new zealand,and had been in australia for the last four months,he has something to do with accountancy,he was telling her the ammount of jobs available are amazing,not just in his field but in general,so i ask the question what are we lacking in this country,maybe the fact we let every man and his dog in,and the dregs from europe. :no:

gemini52.

If you decide to go .....Can I have your Maxus?

If it were closer I'd love to work there for a few years. I feel a real affiliation with the Aussies and Kiwis. A sound bunch. The family farm in NZ, always been too scared to visit in case I get torn between two nations.

EDIT: That and I'm **** scared of flying

Edited by ack-ack

I spent a year travelling round Australia with the Mrs 12 years ago and I reckon it took me nearly half that time to tune in to the place. If someone had asked during the first 6 months whether I'd like to stay there I'd have said No way. But after a few months the penny dropped, we fell in to the way of things and didn't want to leave. We even stopped worrying about the wildlife.

But we were on holiday enjoying ourselves. If we'd settled there with all the stresses, strains and frustrations of everyday life thrown in and kids as well I can see how it would have taken many times longer to get used to the place.

That's the trouble with emigrating, you're not on holiday. Perhaps people think Australia being English speaking and given its history will feel just like home with nicer weather. It isn't as simple as that. Particularly north of Brisbane, it feels as much Asian as European. There will be a culture shock which a lot of people aren't prepared for and never get past.

We didn't make it to NZ but we found Kiwis restful company in Aus, quieter calmer and more restrained than the locals. Aussies, bless them, are not low key.

Edited by Gimlet

Its funny over the years the number of people who go but come back. Mind you thats true of lots of other places too. Spain probably being the best example. I think a lot of people go abroad because they are unhappy and the move doesn't cure it.

I like America, go over there regularly but there is no way I would ever want to live there. I'd die of boredom, its just so quiet.

I think a lot of people go abroad because they are unhappy and the move doesn't cure it.

How very true. But better to try and come back than lie on your death bed wondering what might have been.

The bit I like most about Aus is where it says in the Atlas 'Population per square mile, 7.'

Mate of mine left. He's gone to New Zealand he been on about for years, he said the country felt like home to him. As family is a bit on the odd side.

If I had the money behind me, i think it would have to be canda for me. Her in doors would like New Zealand more.

Although according fill in forms of the internet i have the points for both Canda, Oz and New Zealand.

How very true. But better to try and come back than lie on your death bed wondering what might have been.

The bit I like most about Aus is where it says in the Atlas 'Population per square mile, 7.'

Yes but every one of those seven is an Australian who hates poms If you have a thick skin its fine. If you take the pommy bashing to heart it will get to you

Edited by Vince Green

Yes but every one of those seven is an Australian who hates poms If you have a thick skin its fine. If you take the pommy bashing to heart it will get to you

They manage to hide it quite well when they're pulling our pints whilst they 'do Europe' though :lol:

Can't say I found that, though the reception varies state to state. Very Pom friendly in Perth, less so in Sydney. But then, as any Darwinite will tell you, everyone in Sydney is a poof, so what do they know. The rare genuine resentment invariably came from youngsters who'd never been anywhere. We've all got a few of them. Most Aussies, particularly the older ones, were charming. Very rude about Poms of course. The secret is to insult them straight back. You can be as rude as you like if you're witty with it. Give as good as you get and they love you for it. Its sulking they can't take. I can live with that.

Do take into consideration that when i bring guys in i go full out making the transition as easy as possible, i have a package in place to all that includes housing, doctors, dentists, realtor, banking, a vehicle schooling, and of course the local pub for a social network, all are integrated into this family, wouldn't be much of a boss otherwise would i, basicaly I DO give a ****E,,,,, looking for more this year..

Blimey- you sound like a man on a recruitment drive!