who learns about there sport from the internet

Ackley

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned most of what I know from my father and a grumpy old *** who does come on here from time to time - both were accomplished shots and fieldcraft is/was thier day to day job.

The internet is a reference - nothing more as you have no idea if it is effective and accurate - whereas when you can physically watch something being done and see it's results over years of observing.

The net as I said is a reference - nothing more, you may pick up info on specifics but it will never compare to actually having a grumpuy old *** next to you saying do this or that, the odd thing is i am now the grumpy old *** in my sons eyes.... :hmm::lol:

this thread was nothing more than an cheap shot at Harsner by someone on an ego trip.

If the OP cut out the arrogant bull and the insults he may actually have something worthwhile to offer, but in his current form his credibility is laughable - even with his little fan club trying to prop him up. :rolleyes:

most on PW - I think - use it as a place to chat - but it's not really the centre of the universe and if it stopped tomorrow it would be sad - but not the end of the world, I used it to get opinions when I got back into shooting after a long break, and to be honest some of the info I got was junk! and the "old ***" who I spend most of my time shooting with told me so - if only i'd listened i wouldn't now have a Ghillie suit that has been used about 10 times! :lol:

Regards,

Gixer

I did chuckle at something in the sales section by said member at more than the sportsman are flogging them at, Cheap shots wise could have had a field day with that :lol:

A fantastic example of praying on the newbies that know no better....this is why the internet can't always be trusted..... :good:

Where are all these grumpy old men with 50 years of shooting experience and country lore behind them that every one keeps mentioning? Round here the last one stubbed out his Woodbine and turned up his toes about 30 years ago and now his house has an Audi outside and some decking where his chickens used to be.

If Norfolk has too many we'll swap you a few for some Londoners.

Where are all these grumpy old men with 50 years of shooting experience and country lore behind them that every one keeps mentioning? Round here the last one stubbed out his Woodbine and turned up his toes about 30 years ago and now his house has an Audi outside and some decking where his chickens used to be.

If Norfolk has too many we'll swap you a few for some Londoners.

There's still plenty of characters round here mate!! And long may it remain the case :good: :good:

I did chuckle at something in the sales section by said member at more than the sportsman are flogging them at, Cheap shots wise could have had a field day with that :lol:

The Sportsman sell tatty old playhouses fit for nothing but the skip or the fire for ridiculous money?

Cheap-shot-tastic :lol:

As a member of the deer fund I'm on the stand at most of the gamefares and meet some real interest old boys who have a tale or two, when you have been around awhile you have come across many situations so much experience gained which is priceless. Mind you the odd tale must have been fueled by a plate of magic mushrooms. As for the internet, also a brilliant source of info, I have found it great for reloading and rifle bedding, especially youtube, but just like anything you ahave to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I learned most of what I know from my father and a grumpy old *** who does come on here from time to time - both were accomplished shots and fieldcraft is/was thier day to day job.

The internet is a reference - nothing more as you have no idea if it is effective and accurate - whereas when you can physically watch something being done and see it's results over years of observing.

The net as I said is a reference - nothing more, you may pick up info on specifics but it will never compare to actually having a grumpuy old *** next to you saying do this or that, the odd thing is i am now the grumpy old *** in my sons eyes.... :hmm::lol:

this thread was nothing more than an cheap shot at Harsner by someone on an ego trip.

If the OP cut out the arrogant bull and the insults he may actually have something worthwhile to offer, but in his current form his credibility is laughable - even with his little fan club trying to prop him up. :rolleyes:

most on PW - I think - use it as a place to chat - but it's not really the centre of the universe and if it stopped tomorrow it would be sad - but not the end of the world, I used it to get opinions when I got back into shooting after a long break, and to be honest some of the info I got was junk! and the "old ***" who I spend most of my time shooting with told me so - if only i'd listened i wouldn't now have a Ghillie suit that has been used about 10 times! :lol:

Regards,

Gixer

far from an ego trip old boy,just prooving a point that well take information from the net,ang going by the commnets I was right

The Sportsman sell tatty old playhouses fit for nothing but the skip or the fire for ridiculous money?

Cheap-shot-tastic :lol:

is that the best you can come up with a kids play house I sold,which went to a very happy family who children were over the moon with it,it actually sold on e bay for a lot more than what i wanted for it,

well me old duck if you had taken the time to do your homework the sportsman where selling "OLD unwanted nightforce scopes with un wanted reticules cheap" and NOT the NP2 DD which is still £1700

so you would have made yourself look really silly,by the way the scope sold within 2 hours

please if your trying to have a go at me at least come with something that will stand up

theres a good lad

far from an ego trip old boy,just prooving a point that well take information from the net,ang going by the commnets I was right

This is one of those "sorting the wheat from the chaff" comments isn't it? I'll go with chaff!

You original post was little more than a badly disguised pop at Harnser, to what end I have no idea but most of use are smart enough to see it for what it was I suspect.

well me old duck if you had taken the time to do your homework the sportsman where selling "OLD unwanted nightforce scopes with un wanted reticules cheap" and NOT the NP2 DD which is still £1700

so you would have made yourself look really silly,by the way the scope sold within 2 hours

please if your trying to have a go at me at least come with something that will stand up

theres a good lad

now theres a good fellow it wasn't the over priced scope you sold its your 2nd hand Lapua .243 brass at £85 versus their £81 quid or so. I was going to suggest on your sale thread you ought to shop about more than referring to midway prices but then I guess you didn't buy from midway.

Edited by al4x

There's still plenty of characters round here mate!! And long may it remain the case :good: :good:

I sincerely hope it does. I wouldn't wish on you what we've got down here. There's hardly a soul here who knows a thing about the countryside beyond what they've seen on Springwatch.

Most of the council houses in the next village used to have fowls in the back garden and beansticks in the front. Now they've got single mother's in them and discarded Argos packaging blowing round derelict gardens.

a lot of them grumpy old men went out not for sport, but to put food in the families mouths. :yes:

And a lot of those didn't have guns.

When I was 16 I worked on a farm on a YTS. They put me with an old boy who did odd jobs about the place and pre-mixy used to snare rabbits as part of his living. He'd set a couple of hundred wires and work them into the night. By the time he'd set his last one he'd go back to the first checking and resetting.

He taught me to lay a hedge and plant trees. He never went into a supermarket in his life, but kept a great flock of chickens and grew pretty much all his vegetables, including by some scorcery, cauliflours like footballs. He died in 1986 and that was the last time I heard dialect spoken in the place where I was born.

Growing up with such people was priceless. Knowledge passed on quite literally hand to hand is beyond value and something the internet cannot get remotely close to. Those old boys provided continuity. Without them we've got a theme park.

Cherish them Norfolk, they're extinct down here.

now theres a good fellow it wasn't the over priced scope you sold its your 2nd hand Lapua .243 brass at £85 versus their £81 quid or so. I was going to suggest on your sale thread you ought to shop about more than referring to midway prices but then I guess you didn't buy from midway.

its getting a habit showing how wrong you are,the brass if you care to read correctly is brand new,and yes midway is £120,now if you want to shop around feel free

and as to the scope being overpriced I think a £700 saving is pretty good,its amazing every nightforce you see seems to be solod for the same price

again if you wish to chase me around matey at least do your homework,inseatd of making yourself look very very silly

Not really that grumpy M.M. but I don't suffer fools gladly .

Harnser .

well at least we have something in common

Edited by Ackley

:hmm: Pick up some tips from time to time but do i learn off the net :no:

I learn by spending time in the field trying new things :P

Also i find the longer your on here the less you can be ***** with some people and sit back and watch , then you become bored of that and fade away as many of the older posters have ;)

But then again i no Nothing :/

Harnser don't fade away like the rest mate :good: