Hot birds !

elmstone

I have tried a variety of ideas to keep them cool and keep the blowflies off, none of them work perfectly.

Including;

Putting them in damp hessian sacks.

Putting them in dry hessian sacks.

Transferring them to my vehicle (parked in the shade) every hour, or so and putting them under a cover ( after making sure there are no flies in the truck).

Storing them in the shade, under a cammo net.

Something that you can try, although it is a little bulky is ;

Aset of wire screens that will fit into a wire frame to allow air to circulate around the birds. Then , by keeping a bucket of wet burlap sacking that you can lay over the outer frame you basically built a mini fridge. As the water evaporates from the sacking it cools the interior.

I built one of these for inside the bed of the kawasaki mule, and it work fabulous keeping birds cool until hunting was finished and birds delivered to the eviserator.

NTTF

Wet sacks every time. I even add a bag of icecubes or some of those freezer ice packs as it helps cool them rapidly. A shot bird tends to heat up and on a hot day it's not only the flies you've gotta watch, the meat will spoil (turn green) if it stays hot. Sometimes spray the sacks with fly spray 'cause they can 'spit' their eggs through the sacking weave. Why can't they just mop up doggy doos :good:

depeds alot on your sercumstance, if decoying and u have alot of birds large damp hessian sack in the shade will work fine, make sure it stays damp and tie the end up, if your out for a mooch n maybe only have 5 or 6 rabbits etc use a large cooler box n leave it in your car, again depends on how close to your car you are

I once read that you could use elderberry branches to keep the flys off because they hate the smell. i dont no if that is ture but it might help you!

Young Shot

Dunno, that only works when Henry D is holding the other end of the branch.... knock a fly off a dung heap at 20 paces.

I once read that you could use elderberry branches to keep the flys off because they hate the smell. i dont no if that is ture but it might help you!

Young Shot

Dunno, that only works when Henry D is holding the other end of the branch.... knock a fly off a dung heap at 20 paces.

:unsure: ;):yes::good::sly:

Young Shot