incident envolveing fac

bignoel

i would like to hear your opinion on this one . a chap down my way some time ago had a argument with his girlfriend .he beat her then tied her to a chair held her for 3 days while he burnd her with his fags .he received 18mths jail and lost his firearms .10 years on he reaplied for his firearms and received them back 12 mths later he was caught for stalking his new girlfriend .but he sent a letter telling her if she thought the police could stop him seeing her he would shoot them aswell .no charges were brought forward but he lost his firearms again 18mths later he now has his firearms back again surely this isnt right is it :hmm:

Strange set up. Man over here lost his Guns cause he was using rabbits to give dogs a kill to make them race, tried 3 years later to get them back and was told not a chance and more or less not to bother trying again. Not saying what he did was ok but at least it wasn't violence against another person.

I dont think you have all the accurate information,I would assume that the stringent firearm controls that are in place,this type of person would be classed as unsuitable.

I am sure a quick call to the firearms dept, with the persons details would address the situation :good:

I certainly wouldn't like to know that the person has access to firearms and has the mental capacity to stub cigarette stubs out,on a girl :good:

I find it a little bit hard to believe. I know the police constantly mess up (Thomas Hamilton, Michael Ryan, Derrick Bird and Michael Atherton spring to mind), I don't know if I should believe this or not.

If what you say is true then I think you should be speaking to your firearms department and doing your best to ensure that he loses his certificates as it sounds like he's a dangerous person. But I'm not sure if I believe it or not.

i would like to hear your opinion on this one . a chap down my way some time ago had a argument with his girlfriend .he beat her then tied her to a chair held her for 3 days while he burnd her with his fags .he received 18mths jail and lost his firearms .10 years on he reaplied for his firearms and received them back 12 mths later he was caught for stalking his new girlfriend .but he sent a letter telling her if she thought the police could stop him seeing her he would shoot them aswell .no charges were brought forward but he lost his firearms again 18mths later he now has his firearms back again surely this isnt right is it :hmm:

References?

J.

dont believe it fella, not for a minute :hmm:

I was lead to believe that if you commited an offence which "could" give you a sentence of upto 5 yrs it was an automatic life time firearms ban with the offences you have mentioned they all carry a sentence like that. :hmm:

Unless something has changed you must be sentenced to 3 years or more for a life ban, not could be! :good:

Edited by Dekers

I was lead to believe that if you commited an offence which "could" give you a sentence of upto 5 yrs it was an automatic life time firearms ban with the offences you have mentioned they all carry a sentence like that. :hmm:

Unless something has changed you must be sentenced to 3 years or more for a life ban, not could be! :good:

I think you're right Dekers. I got done for posession of explosives when I was 18 - actually 19 by the time it had gone through court. I didn't get a huge sentence but in the wrong circumstances I'd say you'd get well over 3 or even 5 years for it.

It's time sentenced that counts not maximum allowable for the offence in question. :good:

Edited by njc110381

You still have a right to have your prohibition overturned by appeal to the Crown court if you ae a prohibited person.

Section 21 is a very blunt instrument. It is there to prevent unsuitable people gaining access to firearms but the metre fac that you have ben sentenced to be locked up means that you are unsuitsable. A person who gets three years for kicking the daylights out of someone in a drunken fight after haing a string of similar convictions is prohibited for life from posessing firears and so is someone who gets the same sentence for defrauding the taxman.

They two offences are not remotely similar and, I would suggest, do not compre as to whether a person is fit to be entrusted with a firearm or not.

J.

It may well be a blunt instrument but the sentence has at least some indication of the severity of the offence as considered via evidence heard by a judge (and I believe the clerks sat below his bench) if a sentence was likely to exeed 6 months I think?