What Scope .22LR

chalkyw

Hi,

Just been out nailing rabbits, Got a dozen in about an hour and a half, should have had more save for a poxy scope, I'll be honest i was a bit rusty with my own rifle "Embarrasing" i know but i havent put a round through it since 2008 ! I checked the Zero this afternoon and it was bang on so i sat in anticipation and waited for the call from my mate and off we went.

It quicly became apparent that although i think i hate illuminated reticles the fact that i've shot with them the few outings ive been out recently the more i have come rely on their quick aim and shoot in the light whilst rabbiting, as well as the reticle pattern to assist for hold under / over and then + hairs.

My old scope seems poor in comparison and i struggled to pick out the very fine pattern in the field of view, to that end my question is which scope is sufficient to compliment a .22LR for lamping at night ?

Its not a money no object set up as its only for rabbitt so i dont want want to be spending a fortune, any help much apreciated,

Basically, What do you use and how do you get on with it.

Thanks.

Hi

Anything will do but i would recomend an objective lens of around 50mm

as this gathers a lot of light and is a plus for shooting under lamping conditions,

as target aquisition is pretty simple i use a cheap and nasty version but it

does its job and does it well, Rabbit , Fox and even woodcock have fell to it

so dont assume more expense the more kills, dosent work.

Something with a clear view and a large objective will suffice, as u see from my pic (left) thats cheap, £25 of the dreaded flea bay, BUT it has done its job and done it well, side paralax is something to consider as its a lot less hassle to focus ...

Happy Hunting..................

Edited by Quiver

I have been using a Falcon Menace 4.5-18 X 56 for many years and it is a very good scope for the .22LR.

It has an MP20 ret with six mildots hold over, which means I can shoot out to 150yards without adjusting anything.

The newer scops from Falcon have the same ret, only they are all FFP, and you have the illuminated option as well.

I don't think you can ever have too much scope, and a good one will last a lifetime, so as has been said many times buy the best that you can afford.

Hi,

Get something with mildots and preferably a 50mm objective lens. Theres no need to spend hundreds for a 22lr. The Hawke panorama's seem decent and you can illuminate the reticle either red or blue so you have a choice. My mate has one on his Brno 2e and its a cracking scope for the money :good:

ATB,

Pat

Fixed power. I use a Meopta 7x50 which is very clear, crisp and bright. Lovely thin 4a range finding reticule which is very good for rabbit shooting as it is nice and accurate. Can usually find them for about £200 so if you can, go for one of these, they are becoming quote sought after.

I use a cheap 4-16x50 on mine with illuminated cross-hairs (which I hardly use), and I don't see a need for anything fancy. It's parallax adjustable, but that isn't used much and the high magnification isn't used much either.

It has no recoil and is generally used within 100 yards most of the time, the large lens gathers light well so I don't see any point in spending much money on one.

£50 is enough to buy a scope like that that will do the job well.

Fixed power. I use a Meopta 7x50 which is very clear, crisp and bright. Lovely thin 4a range finding reticule which is very good for rabbit shooting as it is nice and accurate. Can usually find them for about £200 so if you can, go for one of these, they are becoming quote sought after.

Hi, i have one of these on a .17 HMR and will be selling this shortly for a .204, i agree that the optics are good and the reticle is as required only without the illumination, i have shot many rabbits without Illuminated reticle so i will rob the glass off the HMR and purchase a little .22 CZ Varmint for it, HW66 up for grabs shortly,

Thanks for the advice guys, failing the Meopta off the HMR i think i will look towards an MTC as they appear to be fairly decent for the .22.

Cheers

I've just stuck a cheap hawke map pro with map6 ret on my .22lr as I want to play about with some long range plinking, it's a 4-16x50 there a good cheap scope. I still prefere my opti-mate 6x44 as an all round scope though, no messing with twiddly bits or illuminated rets which in my opinion serve no real purpose. The opti-mate is almost as good as the docter 6x42 I had its very good in low light and under lamp too, can't really fault it, it'll be going back on my lr as soon as I've done playing with the hawke.

I use a richter optics 3-9x50 ir mil dot,it was £50-£60 off wabbitbosher and I can knock rabbits over all day long at 60-70 yards. I went out last night to a patch where the rabbits are eating off and knocked over 9 in just over half an hour at 70 yards away, really nice scope for the money :good:

I have one of these too. Good no nonsense value for money scope. Does exactly what it says on the tin.