Nuisance Dog

andy_s

My next door neighbour's dog keeps getting in my garden through a privet hedge. Everytime I block a hole up, even though it is my neighbours hedge, it finds another way through. Yesterday I got home from work and found that a parcel left at the back door had been ripped to pieces and the hat inside destroyed. I told the woman next door to send her husband to see me when he gets in but have not heard from him yet. My Mrs is waiting for £150 worth of dresses to be delivered today though. I have left a note on the door saying "please don't leave any parcels" but I'm after suggestions of what I can do to stop the dog getting in my garden or wanting to come in the garden. I don't want to build a fence as we're only renting the house and probably won't be there long term. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Rant over.

.........Andy.

Go round to your neighbour, tell them what their dog is doing as ask them to replace the hat it destroyed.

They should do that and prevent the dog from entering your property, either by them erecting a fence or keeping the dog from their garden - it should be their responsibility.

Failing that, an electric fence is probably a good approach - but try to resolve it first.

I've tried to speak to the neighbours and the bloke "seems" reasonable but the woman is a faul mouthed, rough looking slag who doesn't help matters. And if I kick up too much fuss, I don't trust them or the kids not to do something to either the house or our cars. The invisible electric fence idea sounds decent though, I'll look into that. Thanks.

Why does it have to be invisible? Buy a cheap fencer unit and run a double strand wire ( same as anti fox wire on a release pen) along the hedge. I'd even put a warning label on it and let the neighbours know it was there. That in my opinion is not being unreasonable or overly aggressive. If you've tried dialogue and got now where time for an alternative approach to protecting your property

I can get some chain link fencing and posts for free but there is a path of concrete paving slabs along the boarder on out side so wouldn't really be able to fix the posts down to these as I would imagine any fixing into paving slabs will simply crack the slab. The neighbours have young kids, well they have loads of kids but some are young, so might not be happy with electric fencing.

get some chickens, when the dog comes in the garden and has a go at the chickens shoot the dog for livestock worrying. Then eat the chickens for sunday roast :good:

If you cant get any sense from talking to them i would run a cheap electric fence around the edge of your garden and send them the bill.

Both houses are privately rented unfortunately. I don't really want to get the law involved as I think it would probably cause more harm than good. "Getting rid" of the dog has crossed my mond. I think though either it would come back on us or they'd just get another dog to replace it. I think maybe moving some paving slabs and using metaposts to secure a chain link fence may be my only option. I've never had an issue with any neighbours before but it's unbelievable how much something so small can make you seriously consider moving.

If its a small dog then a low fence will probably do it if the same landlord owns both then contact the landlord and explain the issue with the fence/hedge and next doors dog (are they allowed a dog under terms of the lease?) see what they say the landlord may replace the hedge with a fence?

I wouldn't bother going after them for the destruction of the hat, whoever delivered it shouldn't have just left it, I would claim from them.

It could just as easily been stolen.

Rather than enter into a large construction project, why not string some 3ft chicken wire fencing along the hedge.

If you support it every 2ft it should keep a dog out.

I am assuming the hedge will stop the dog jumping over the fence.

I've tried to speak to the neighbours and the bloke "seems" reasonable but the woman is a faul mouthed, rough looking slag who doesn't help matters. And if I kick up too much fuss, I don't trust them or the kids not to do something to either the house or our cars. The invisible electric fence idea sounds decent though, I'll look into that. Thanks.

How do you know that the feral woman didn't chew the hat?

Greymaster, it really wouln't surprise me if it was her. Probably clucking for her next fix.

Cranfield, yeah I think we are going to claim against Royal Mail. I thought about stringing a line along the hedge to fix chicken wire to. Line along the floor then another 3ft up, my only issue is that if the dog climbs through the hedge from his side he may end up stuck between the hedge and my chicken wire which will ultimately end up with someone pulling it down to get the dog out.

as already been said , some cheap-ish chicken or similar mesh and a few wooden stakes would do the job , an hours work at the most.

cant blame the dog for roaming , but you can go round to the neighbour and have it out with them . tell them next time it enters you'll be taking it to the rspca as a stray.

if its just a few gaps the pound shop sells chicken wire rolls £1 each , not much on them but ok for gap blocking

I can get rolls of chicken wire from work for free but I'm not sure I can knock posts in. There is a path that runs along the hedge on our side so I don't think I can get any posts between the path and the hedge. I can't remebre now if it's paving stones or a concrete path but I think it's slabs. If it's concrete I could bolt posts down, providing the concrete's think enough.

Firstly, are you certain that the dog destroyed your parcel. Seems kinda strange for a dog to go off its own territory and destroy a parcel and leave it there. Is it a puppy perhaps.

All this talk of electric fencing would escalate this where it would all end in tears. I am a reasonable sort but I can assure you that if my neighbour put up an electric fence and I had young children who got shocked. I think reason would go out the window, whether my dog was straying or not!

The invisible electric fencing mentioned is expensive and unsuitable for this scenario. It also requires the dog to wear an expensive "correction collar" which "corrects" the dog as it passes over the wire.

You have to go round and speak to the man of the house. He has probably not come round to see you as he knows he/they are at fault.

If he is not reasonable, tell him next time dog comes into your garden, you will take it in and phone the dog warden to come pick it up as a stray dog.

I personally would use chicken wire, reinforce the hedge, and be thankful you only rent next to that lot!

Edited by bobthedug

Bobthegug, yeah I do think it's a pup. We've only lived there about 10 weeks and they've only been in their house a couple of weeks more. I have noticed it's bigger than when we first moved in so I assume it's only young. I see the dog in the garden all the time as it get's in from their side but can't manage to get it's way back over from ours and I've had to let it out countless times. I agree with you on the electric fence situation, it would cause more harm than good. I have decided I am going to try and know some steel angle posts in or round bar as ports in between our path and the hedge and fix either chicken wire or chain link to the posts. Hopefully this should stop the dog getting in but I won't hold my breath.

What's your landlord say? Surely if the hedge is the neighbours it means it's on there land so can't you suggest your landlord secures his/your garden that way you shouldn't have to sort it. Failing that get a super soaker and squirt the dog every time it comes in or hose it down to deter it, couple of crow scarers might make it think twice too!