wildfowling essentials.

lister1

Tide tables- 100% essential to have some idea of what the tide will be doing

Neoprene chest waders - not because you will be wading waist deep water, but because they will keep you clean, warm and dry, if you are comfortable you will shoot better.

Hat - whatever you like

Jacket - does not matter too much what type but natural colours, loose fitting and waterproof are all good starting points

Wading stick - useful in the pitch black for detecting gullies as well as for wading of course

Dog- some folk get away without one but not having one will limit your shooting on alot of marshes.

Mobile phone - safety equipment

Small torch - the LED are great, I use mine very infrequently but useful to have and an important piece of safety equipement

Binoculars - will not put many more duck in the bag but I enjoy using mine

Duck call / goose call - on the right day both can make the difference between taking something home or not.

Edited by scolopax

I'm starting out wildfowling this year and was wondering what gear I need to get started.

I don't mean gun and carts but more gloves or waders and also some recommend brands of essential gear.

a tide tabble book for the area your shooting

you will need a good waterproof jacket ,have a look around for a good quality one you will need it, also look for one that's going to suite the environment you will be shooting in .......

chest waders again of good quality the last thing you want is to change your kit every season ....it can be a expensive way of doing it ....

don't go over board on decoys have a look on ebay for some second hand ones...... :good:

Edited by washwildfowler

Cheers guys, sounds good. I think I may have most items needed.

I seem to remember some good waders advertised in one of my magazines.

Where do you get tide tables from?

i will get you a tide book before the season starts , just one other thing to remember when your shooting slwc marshes any wind with northly in will run faster and will make higher ....

I see, so keeping a eye on the wind is a good idea.

Trying to get some pennies scraped together for the slwc membership.

So looking at the essentials, safety and warmth is key.

In my first season and part of my second season wildfowling I used some PVC waders £9.99 from Lidl.

I have now "pushed the boat out" and bought some of these off fleebay http://www.amazon.co.uk/BISON-NEOPRENE-CHEST-WADERS-CLEATED/dp/B005EBPEEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334260714&sr=8-2

Safety is the main thing to concentrate on in my opinion :good:

If you are going to be new to Wildfowling you will need a few bits and bobs as mentioned above. The MOST important thing is a GOOD GUIDE. Find one of these and you will need to add the other bits. If you dont get a good guide you will need a phone, the number for the air sea rescue and coastguard. flares, rubber ring, arm bands. :good:

All of the above is great advice and in particular find a good mentor who knows you marsh, will keep you SAFE and happy to help you enjoy your wildfowling!

Most clubs these days will have some sort of probationary membership induction scheme and the last thing I think thats worth learning is how to use a compass to identify the safe routes on / off the marsh in the dark and FOG.

Enjoy ..... :good:

atb

I'm starting out wildfowling this year and was wondering what gear I need to get started.

I don't mean gun and carts but more gloves or waders and also some recommend brands of essential gear.

On top of all that advice....let some one know where you are going and a rough time you will be back!!

TEH

There's some good suggested kit on here and I have little to add. I think it is important that you buy the best you can afford clothing wise. If you are dry and warm you'll be far more successful than if your cold and wet but sat in front of a spread of quality decoys.

the two things i never leave home without (apart from gun, shells and hound) is a headlamp/torch and something to sit on. i have never been able to kneel on my knees for getting pins an needles and i also find i shoot better sitting on my box as opposed to lying in the mud.

I got myself a samsung B2100 phone, waterprrof plus as a built in torch, this is what i take when wildfowling, just in case, i think i am still on my first £10 PAYG sim :good:

I cant keep my feet warm no matter what but i have wool socks with a neoprene sock over the top...

Gloves neoprene fine in wet weather but rubbish when its cold, Fleece great when its cold but rubbish when its raining :lol:

Hat essential keeps you lovely and warm

Safety first thats the main thing and enjoy

the two things i never leave home without (apart from gun, shells and hound) is a headlamp/torch and something to sit on. i have never been able to kneel on my knees for getting pins an needles and i also find i shoot better sitting on my box as opposed to lying in the mud.

Sounds good. I'll be doing that now I'm tapping on a bit ;)

I used a 25 litre plastic drum last season with a couple of metres of blue rope tied to the handle to make carrying/securing it easier. Easy to sit on, didn't really sink too badly into the gloop, floats extremely well and is lightweight. All good. :good:

Next season I'm going to try a 25 litre barrel, purely so I can put a few bits and bobs in it rather than stuffing my pockets full or taking a bag, I'm planning on using some shoulder straps to keep my hands free. :hmm:

Edited by -Mongrel-