storage of rifle bolt

millrace

ok so someone explain this to me i know you have to store the bolt seperately but really why,,lets face it for most of us your rifle is stored in a locked bolt fixed cabinate which also contains shotguns,,,heres my point if the rifle is stolen so are the shotties and lets face it there aint many banks held up with a sawn off rifle...... :rolleyes: so whats the point and if they have brought enough tools to get the cabinate open or off a wall they will open any other storage and get the bolt....

the way i see it most crooks will know if they find a rifle,,theres another safe to be found containing the bolt and in some cases poss some other items of value,,.....so is this really a good thing nowadays???? just cause they are crooks they usually aint stupid.....in and out or wait till ur back and demand to get the other safe that HAS to be there open.....

Edited by millrace

I don't think 'most' crooks would know the first thing about rifles, but if they did or they came specifically for your firearms why would you make it easier for them by having the bolt with the rile? They would have to take a massive risk in taking hostages, and for what? There's no money in knock-off rifles.

There is absolutely no requirement to store the bolts separately. Interestingly, you don't need to store the ammunition separately either, though I think all the police forces insist on it (and sensibly). If you don't believe me, read the HO guidelines.

It tends to be true that criminals don't want rifles, even the HO guidelines say this, though for some reason the police see fit to require tighter storage conditions for section 1, I've never understood why.

I do however agree that anybody breaking into a cabinet is unlikely to be unable to get in a bit further to an ammo/bolt safe so it might all seem slightly pointless, though it could delay them slightly.

There is no legal requirement to store the bolt seperately. I stopped doing it a long time ago after turning up at a shoot with a rifle with no bolt in it.

If it was a legal requirement a lot of semi-autos wouldn't get sold. My old Krico was a pig to get back together.

well now my feo wanted to see the second safe where the bolt would be stored........

Humour him. Tell him they're going in the ammo safe. Its easier than arguing the toss and antagonising the people who set your conditions and grant your variations. It shouldn't have to be that way but it is. At least until they've known you for a few years.

You can take the bolts out if you like but you'll soon get fed up with it. I remove mine if I'm away from the house overnight or if I have to leave a gun in a vehicle.

What more do they want, a seperate safe for the stock and one for the magazine? Perhaps they'd like us to take scopes off for storage as well.

Actually I'll stop there. Don't want to give them ideas.

might be different in NI then??? :look:

Very good point. Didn't spot that.

might be different in NI then??? :look:

Yep,it states on my FAC that, "Where a bolt action rifle is held on certificate,the bolt must be removed and store separately in an approved gun cabinet/safe."

Yet,there's no conditions about keeping my shotgun and cartridges in the same cabinet. :huh:

Yep,it states on my FAC that, "Where a bolt action rifle is held on certificate,the bolt must be removed and store separately in an approved gun cabinet/safe."

Yet,there's no conditions about keeping my shotgun and cartridges in the same cabinet. :huh:

Same here :good: must be different here than rest of the U.K

Rich

Another reason perhaps for taking the bolt out is that you can then de-cock it (in theory) to save undue pressure on the firing spring. I say 'in theory' because whereas I can do that for my CZ rimfires and my Anschutz rimfire target rifle (essential for that one at least), I can't seem to de-cock my CZ .223 bolt. Any suggestions as to why this should be so or how to de-cock it? Is it just that it is very stiff and my hands are not strong enough?

Another reason perhaps for taking the bolt out is that you can then de-cock it (in theory) to save undue pressure on the firing spring. I say 'in theory' because whereas I can do that for my CZ rimfires and my Anschutz rimfire target rifle (essential for that one at least), I can't seem to de-cock my CZ .223 bolt. Any suggestions as to why this should be so or how to de-cock it? Is it just that it is very stiff and my hands are not strong enough?

I 'de-cock' my rifles by squeezing the trigger as I close the bolt( after ensuring the breech is empty of course).Or you can simply press the trigger(dry fire it)of course;again ensuring the breech is empty first.In both instances,the bolts' stay in.

I 'de-cock' my rifles by squeezing the trigger as I close the bolt( after ensuring the breech is empty of course).Or you can simply press the trigger(dry fire it)of course;again ensuring the breech is empty first.In both instances,the bolts' stay in.

That's a good idea - should have thought of it. Thanks. Think I will put a used case in, however, before squeezing the trigger.

If you choose the first method I mentioned there is no 'snap' as you squeeze the trigger,the spring is slowly relaxed.So long as you squeeze the trigger and keep it squeezed while you close the bolt,there is no tension involved at all.If you close the bolt and then squeeze the trigger,then that's a dry fire,either method does your rifle no harm at all.You can put a spent case in if you wish,but there's no need really. :good:

All the FEOs I've ever spoken to--in 30 odd years--couldn't care less whether the bolt was in or out. Personally I store all my rifles with bolts in as the odds of a rifle appealing to a thief looking for weapons to arm criminal activity is tiny--as compared to the annoyance of choosing the wrong bolt for any particular rifle you take out.

Thieves want shotguns and expensive air rifles--stuff that is easy to sell and for which it's relatively easy to obtain ammunition. Section 1 rifles have no attraction or use for an average crim.

It's a condition on your FAC in Northern Ireland. What always made me laugh at the situation was that I had two rifles in the cabinet, a bolt action where the bolt had to be stored separately and a semi auto which didn't.

And unless you can show the FEO where the bolt safe is, FEB won't issue your certificate.