Static caravans???

MM

Is there anything i need to look out for apart from things like site fees? Done a bit of searching, but there is bound to be something ive missed. Its a nearly new van, but i dont want to come unstuck. What questions should i be asking? Oh yeah, and i did ask him how it fishes in the summer :lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are putting VAT on statics either now or very soon.

site fees. how many years before you have to buy a new van. who can you buy a new van from,

hi there having a static ourselves 1st how long is seaon 2 do they except pets some sites have restrictions on wot breeds are excepted caravan insurance water rates gas and elec hope this is helpfull

all sensible stuff, cheers kids. season is closed Jan and Feb. they do allow "well behaved" dogs, but i dont have one, so thats good. any more?

There has been quite a bit on the radio lately about dodgy sites. Can't remember exact details but something like;

They have legal right to vet who you sell your plot lease to. They put off or refuse whoever you try to sell to, leaving you no choice but to sell back to them at big loss. They then sell on to new customer at full price.

We have a "holiday cottage on wheels".

They are cold early season and late season. Since buying ours I have had aftermarket double glazing and heaters put in. We have also chucked out the 4'6" "double" bed and replaced with a 6 foot wide one. If I had my time again I would have paid up for double glazing and gas central heating straight off.

As other have said above, ask about site fees and other rules. I would ask for a copy of the contract to peruse.

I would also ask about electricity amperage and water pressure. We are lucky to have 16 amp electricity but some on our site only have 6 amps :blink: This means they have to turn the lights off if they want the TV on and stuff like that :lol: Electric hoovers and kettles are a no no for them. Weekends without the kids being able to watch TV and play with their electrical devices wont be fun for you!

Our site suffers from low water pressure during peak months. In the busiest week in August you have to run around in the shower to get wet.

Our site is a very quiet one. It has no tourers, no camping, no sub letting and no clubhouse. This makes for a quiet life and no rowdy holiday makers who will upset regulars on the basis that they will never see them again.

If you find one with a jetty and launching facilities you could buy a small boat / canoe / sailing dinghy which will be great for the kids. We have a small rib and jet ski that are great fun in the summer.

Our site is 45 minutes from home. It is far enough away that we feel that we have gone somewhere, but not too far to come home on a whim if it rains or to go down there at the drop of a hat depending on the weather.

Good luck with it Mart. If you want to know any specifics regarding the finances drop me a PM. :good:

My parents had a caravan when we were kids and I still have many happy childhood memories of it. I even met the current Mrs ME there when I was 14! We now have a caravan and spend lots of family time with our kids crabbing, swimming, walking the dog etc. You will love it :good:

Eldest son has one.

It is a condition that the caravan can only be used by a limited number of people - 20 including children. That isn't a lot considering he has three kids. By the time his brother, his wife's sister(plus husband and children), my wife and I, plus our in-laws, are totted up, it leaves no room for anyone else. Close friends can't use it.

It cannot be rented out - which he would not do anyway - but you need to know what your restrictions are.

If you don't take to the site - how much severance before they will let your caravan be moved?

Oh, and the business part of me said that the money we spunked on the caravan could have been a chunky deposit on a holiday flat or rental property somewhere.

If you let your head rule your heart you'll never do it. We have got some great friends on our site, all the kids play out together and everyone looks out for each other. Summer evenings are often 10-15 adults and the same amount of kids, having barbecues and enjoying good company. You wont get that from a holiday flat.

They are cold early season and late season. Since buying ours I have had aftermarket double glazing and heaters put in. We have also chucked out the 4'6" "double" bed and replaced with a 6 foot wide one. If I had my time again I would have paid up for double glazing and gas central heating straight off.

As other have said above, ask about site fees and other rules. I would ask for a copy of the contract to peruse.

I would also ask about electricity amperage and water pressure. We are lucky to have 16 amp electricity but some on our site only have 6 amps :blink: This means they have to turn the lights off if they want the TV on and stuff like that :lol: Electric hoovers and kettles are a no no for them. Weekends without the kids being able to watch TV and play with their electrical devices wont be fun for you!

Our site suffers from low water pressure during peak months. In the busiest week in August you have to run around in the shower to get wet.

Our site is a very quiet one. It has no tourers, no camping, no sub letting and no clubhouse. This makes for a quiet life and no rowdy holiday makers who will upset regulars on the basis that they will never see them again.

If you find one with a jetty and launching facilities you could buy a small boat / canoe / sailing dinghy which will be great for the kids. We have a small rib and jet ski that are great fun in the summer.

Our site is 45 minutes from home. It is far enough away that we feel that we have gone somewhere, but not too far to come home on a whim if it rains or to go down there at the drop of a hat depending on the weather.

Good luck with it Mart. If you want to know any specifics regarding the finances drop me a PM. :good:

My parents had a caravan when we were kids and I still have many happy childhood memories of it. I even met the current Mrs ME there when I was 14! We now have a caravan and spend lots of family time with our kids crabbing, swimming, walking the dog etc. You will love it :good:

It's known as Grabbing :lol:

Oh, and the business part of me said that the money we spunked on the caravan could have been a chunky deposit on a holiday flat or rental property somewhere.

If you let your head rule your heart you'll never do it. We have got some great friends on our site, all the kids play out together and everyone looks out for each other. Summer evenings are often 10-15 adults and the same amount of kids, having barbecues and enjoying good company. You wont get that from a holiday flat.

What he said...

We've had our van for coming up 7 years i think and the kids love it, the dogs love it and i love it!!

The kids and the missus would kill me if i even thought about getting rid!

ME is right about the foreign villa thing, but by the time you add maintenance, messing about and air fares vs ground rent, it ain't much contest.

Plus i've got 3,000 acres of shooting all within a 10 mile radius of the van!

It's known as Grabbing :lol:

You will also need to get used to the ***** jokes from the non caravan owners. :rolleyes:

Everyone that comes to visit us there for a day are surprised what a home from home it is and they all go home having had an enjoyable time! I pity the mugs spending their £800 for a week at Center Parcs or similar!

Edited by ME

The main issue is you pay approx £15000 plus for a caravan, some sites you have to renew within 6 years or so others upto 15 years if your lucky, Then you have site fees,now bear in mind these do not include electricity or gas.

Hidden charges can include maintenance,or groundsman fees,(cutting the grass)

good luck with your choice and read the small print,better still ask existing owners on the site :hmm: their opinions

Thats the main reason i agreed to it :lol: Its not too far away, and i have room for up to 3 cars or a one and a small boat. We have a friend of my daughters who has had a family van there for 17 years, so ive been picking their brains as well. I jsut dont want to dive straight in, and find out ive dropped a clanger. Ive such a list of questions for them, they might not sell me one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its a fine balance between value for money and a site for the great unwashed.

We had one up to about 10 years ago which had reasonable rates. They started relaxing their rules around what could be done around your caravan, how old before they were replaced, scrimped on the site facilities rather than increasing rates.

Result was that the site became full of undesirables. A few petty incidents meant that we put a for sale sign in the window one August Bank Holiday. I went to Cadwell Park to watch BSB and by the time I came back she had sold the van to a family that were more at home with the natives.

I'm not saying that all sites are the same, or that they all attract the dog ends of society. We had some great times there but the cost and the ties to the one place mean that you really have to want to go there.

you need to know do ya like dawgs and how many kids can you keep in 1 and is it safe to have a giro delivered lol seriously my cousin has 1 near oxford he really likes it but its not something i would go for if it had a buy new van every 6 years you may as well buy a small house

Edited by storme37

That is very true, but in the right place a holiday flat will be an investment for the future.