YDS gralloch

yds

Due to a thread on another forum I filmed a gralloch last night while I left the client in the box to wait for another buck.

The camera was mounted on my bag and i found it a little awkward to gralloch and keep my arms and hands as well as the deer feet out of the important bits. Anyway its not bad. A quick edit for captions and its done in under 5 minutes, which is slowed down for me. A complete removal of everything and ready to bag and PM the gralloch.

As my "disclaimer" states please do not pull me up about the knife on the floor as i am well aware. I just found a spare few minutes in good light to film myself.

I might do another under better conditions soon.

Regards john YDS.

hope some of you can learn something from this many of my clients are greatly impressed.

Due to a thread on another forum I filmed a gralloch last night while I left the client in the box to wait for another buck.

The camera was mounted on my bag and i found it a little awkward to gralloch and keep my arms and hands as well as the deer feet out of the important bits. Anyway its not bad. A quick edit for captions and its done in under 5 minutes, which is slowed down for me. A complete removal of everything and ready to bag and PM the gralloch.

As my "disclaimer" states please do not pull me up about the knife on the floor as i am well aware. I just found a spare few minutes in good light to film myself.

I might do another under better conditions soon.

Regards john YDS.

hope some of you can learn something from this many of my clients are greatly impressed.

Very neat and quick....top darts :good:

TEH

Good watch. Out of interest, why do you zip tie off the artery at the top? I understand the back end zip tie, as you dont want that stuff spilling out, but i'd presume blood is already all over the inside? do you just try to limit the spillage? Thanks for the tutorial, not that i shoot deer! (yet)

Good watch. Out of interest, why do you zip tie off the artery at the top? I understand the back end zip tie, as you dont want that stuff spilling out, but i'd presume blood is already all over the inside? do you just try to limit the spillage? Thanks for the tutorial, not that i shoot deer! (yet)

not the artery its the osophagus (food pipe) so stops green leaking into the carcass.

That's one of the best gralloch videos I've ever watched and I've seen a few. Well done, I'm impressed! The speed you opened him up was pretty impressive, I'm usually far more nervous when I do that bit but then I recon you've done a few more than I have! It's clear to see you're very experienced in your field of work. :good:

If you get a moment would you perhaps be able to post up a video that talks through the inspection afterwards? I've never been able to find a good one and would love to know if I do it right.

That's one of the best gralloch videos I've ever watched and I've seen a few. Well done, I'm impressed! The speed you opened him up was pretty impressive, I'm usually far more nervous when I do that bit but then I recon you've done a few more than I have! It's clear to see you're very experienced in your field of work. :good:

If you get a moment would you perhaps be able to post up a video that talks through the inspection afterwards? I've never been able to find a good one and would love to know if I do it right.

i think that would be a huge benifit to stalkers its great to look at the best practice guides but totally different to see video footage alot more things make sence,atb wayne

Defo :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

truely awsome to watch john,certainly know your stuff,,brilliant mate and thanks for showing :good: :good:

Thanks, when your doing well over 150 deer a year and have been for 20 odd years you find an easy way.

Its nice to share and a few hints. I'm usually slicker than that but had to do it on a slant for the camera angle. :good:

It works on munties to moose

322.jpg

327.jpg

Edited by yds

Excellent video! Liked the article in Sporting Rifle also. I think it's an outrage you have been attacked on this site for what you post. I shall continue to enjoy it on YouTube and look forward to a more in-depth graloch video when time permits you to do so. :good:

Edited by game_boy

An excellent video John, thanks for taking the time to show your skills and help the less experienced amongst us like myself! I would not have thought of using cable ties, they look so much quicker, easier and cleaner than the way I do it. - I will certainly remember that one in the future.

A top class video that many of us could learn from.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to show us how to do it properly! :good:

That is what I call a sharp knife, wish I could sharpen one as good as that !

The knife is a stainless steel one I picked it for the blade profile and it will keep a good edge even after I have done 3 deer. All i need to do is a few brushes with a good steel and its like a scalpel again.

When i train people for level 2 I see them struggling with their "sharp" knives and give them mine with the warning "be careful you will cut yourself if you put to much effort into it", and guess what they all take at least the end off a latex glove within seconds. :lol:

The knife is a stainless steel one I picked it for the blade profile and it will keep a good edge even after I have done 3 deer. All i need to do is a few brushes with a good steel and its like a scalpel again.

When i train people for level 2 I see them struggling with their "sharp" knives and give them mine with the warning "be careful you will cut yourself if you put to much effort into it", and guess what they all take at least the end off a latex glove within seconds. :lol:

Out of interest what make is the knife , or who sells them ?

What type of knife would you recommend for skinning ?

Thanks , Rob.