letting the police know

swipey

looks like its dont ring up then. :lol:

Nop. I ring when I am in areas where the public are likely to see me. I have a good understanding with them. They have called me up a couple of times to check where I am and no armed response. You are not asking permission, just advising them where abouts and for how long. I was shooting in a town centre doing feral pigeons one morning and had a call back, just to see that I was still there, as someone had been shot in the next street, nothing to do with me but the place was crawling with armed police, they didn't bother with me just got on with their job.

I have absolutely no problem with giving them a call. :yes:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play,

I'm not saying it can't happen it's just not something I've ever heard of, in my force anyway.

Common sense normally does prevail, shame it didn't in your case.

The other thing worth bearing in mind is what the reporting person has said to the call taker, it can be very inaccurate from what I see day to day.

15 people fighting is generally 4 blokes messing around. Scary man has just pointed a shotgun at me and threatened to kill me is more like, sensible person pigeon shooting. Some people eh!!!!!

Nop. I ring when I am in areas where the public are likely to see me. I have a good understanding with them. They have called me up a couple of times to check where I am and no armed response. You are not asking permission, just advising them where abouts and for how long. I was shooting in a town centre doing feral pigeons one morning and had a call back, just to see that I was still there, as someone had been shot in the next street, nothing to do with me but the place was crawling with armed police, they didn't bother with me just got on with their job.

We never bother;tried it once and it turned out to be a major pain in the ****,so we just inform the landowners.

There's a good chance around here that if gunshots are heard in the middle of a field at day or night there'll be a copper involved anyhow!

would you like to see it compulsory then?

Don't be so small minded and take your blinkers off.

Some times a footpath or houses can be near to where we shoot.when a walker or member of public hears the gun shot they can be very vague when they ring the police.

All the police would do is to ring me on my mobile and ask if i was shooting in the vacinity, problem solved.

If we do all we can to stop busy body's and anti's having an excuse to cause us problems. Battle won.

Some times a footpath or houses can be near to where we shoot.when a walker or member of public hears the gun shot they can be very vague when they ring the police.

All the police would do is to ring me on my mobile and ask if i was shooting in the vacinity, problem solved.

If we do all we can to stop busy body's and anti's having an excuse to cause us problems. Battle won.

Not if it was a 999 call they have to respond :yes:

Been there done it and had the local force knocking on there front door to explain i am within the law and could they stop dailing 999 as they have to respond ?

They keep doing it though :rolleyes:

Well the thing is that the reports they get won't be very accurate. As so many people don't know the difference between a SxS and an AK-47, and some don't even know that guns can be used and held legally, the police will never really know what to expect. Lets face it, if people understood enough to tell the police that it's a person in tweeds using a SxS then they aren't likely to be phoning the police in the first place.

The point I'm making is that if there is nothing ostensibly unlawful going on then why go out? We know that public don't know a great deal about firearms and how they may be used but it's down to the police to make a judgement as to whether to come out and not just respond blindly to what ever someone tells them. The public aren't there to demand that the police jump to their every whim.

When someone rings in a report of someone using a shotgun in a field the only two questions which really need to be asked are; 'Is the law being broken?', and; 'Are the public being endangered?'. Simply blindly responding to every report is a waste of time and money and is bordering on the 'because we can' mentality, surely?

Also, can you imagine if someone rang in about seeing a gunman in a field, and it turned out to be Derrick Bird/some other nutter on a rampage, and the police replied 'yes, thank-you, but it's common for people with guns to be shooting in fields' how would that look on them if it then turned out very different? I think they are always likely to investigate, even if to simply cover themselves.

And what if it's not (and the possibility that it will be is very, very, very remote) and someone gets injured or killed elsewhere because the local police were off wasting their time on someone whom they never had any suspicion of doing anything illegal to begin with?

I don't think that any 'nutter' involved shooting we've ever had was first notified to the police as merely being gunshots in a field. The police became aware of Bird because he shot people in the street in broad daylight; Ryan in Hungerford came to police attention when he shot up a garage.

By phoning in and telling them your shooting it should indeed change the level of response you get, instead of an ARU you should get a bobby just checking that it is indeed OK, but I think that they will always send someone.

But that's pointless, surely? The police only check it out to confirm that there is nothing illegal or dangerous going on. If they deem it safe enough to send an unarmed officer then surely it's safe enough not to send anyone???

If it's likely to be something dangerous or illegal then the proper response is the ARU, helicopters, etc?

J.

Not if it was a 999 call they have to respond :yes:

Been there done it and had the local force knocking on there front door to explain i am within the law and could they stop dailing 999 as they have to respond ?

They keep doing it though :rolleyes:

They don't though. People make BS 999 calls all the time and the operators are trained to filter them out by asking more questions of the person phoning in the report. Some peopel ring 999 because a cat is stuck in a tree or because they can't find their house keys - the cops are not duty bound to respond.

As I've said. If someone rings in a report of a person shooting a a field then why does there need to be a police response? Unless the person is actually shooting at someone or in such a manner that is likely to be dangerous then there would seem to be no reason to go out.

J.

dont bother as most have said above if they get a call they still come fine by me they all ways love looking at guns what are better than there's.

best night was yanky99, 3 arvs, dog van ,and a unmarked silver focus st now beat that they love coming out breaks there shifts up best comment from 1 of them was "you no its illegal to lamp with out ringing up " are you sure was the reply lol but most of time they all no me now

Small minded? Have you read the rest of the thread and seen the very valid reasons why some don't agree with you? Only being able to see the world from your own narrow perspective and not at least considering the views of others is the very definition of "small minded" :rolleyes: . Welcome to the site, your first post is a controversial one without the slightest introduction as to who you are and within 5 posts you are insulting established members. I smell troll :yes:

Small minded? Have you read the rest of the thread and seen the very valid reasons why some don't agree with you? Only being able to see the world from your own narrow perspective and not at least considering the views of others is the very definition of "small minded" :rolleyes: . Welcome to the site, your first post is a controversial one without the slightest introduction as to who you are and within 5 posts you are insulting established members. I smell troll :yes:

Are they though? I don't se that they are. They may have a duty to investigate upon the suggestion or suspicion of illegal firearms use but why of anything else? If, for instance, some busy-body decides to phone in a report of a bloke in tweeds shoting a side-by-side at birds in the middle of a field in the countryside then why is there any need to investigate at all? Obviously, if it's a report of a teenager in a hoody leaning out of a car window with a Mac 10 in the centre of Manchester then that's a different matter and would warrant some pretty serious investigating.

The police don't expect to get reports from people about every single car that passes their house because the driver might be uninsured or drunk so why report some bloke with a gun in the very setting you would expect to see a bloke with a gun?

J.

and how do you determine an illegal firearm without physically seeing it?

Because after events where some nutters have gone mental with firearms and killed people , the Police everytime a call about someone with a gun gets called in have to respond. Its a major butt covering exercise. Imagine what would happen if someone reported someone shooting they assumed it to be your Tweed wearing fessie shooter and it was another mad taxi driver or whatever. Every Chief Constable is going to protect his pension. :good:

Because after events where some nutters have gone mental with firearms and killed people , the Police everytime a call about someone with a gun gets called in have to respond. Its a major butt covering exercise. Imagine what would happen if someone reported someone shooting they assumed it to be your Tweed wearing fessie shooter and it was another mad taxi driver or whatever. Every Chief Constable is going to protect his pension. :good:

yep that's the 1 you have hit the nail on the head the only good thing to ringing up is you get a log number when you get stopped soon as you tell them the number they say thanks a lot and trot off but its no hassle i like to see them out better than sitting at services drinking tea lol

Cor what a thread lol

Some first post eh?!

Let's say some mentalist gunman without a cert (or mate with) goes on a killing spree but the police ashume it's Ronny Blogs who rang up to say he was shooing in the area, so they don't send anyone..... Kids and women die, who points the finger where then?

If they came and saw me in any form I'd be happy to chat and give my details. You never know, they might have land ;)

generally if a shooting is in a shopping centre etc they assume its not Ronny Bloggs out shooting rabbits ;)

generally we call in if we are shooting somewhere public but otherwise don't. The farm we are usually on is pretty secure so the police would have to go to the farmhouse to get onto the land and they know when we are out.