letting the police know

swipey

Judging by your own lack of spelling and grammar skills, I'm not sure you are in a position to criticize others.

where did that one come from :hmm: :hmm: i did not criticize anyone (AS YOU WRONGFULLY STATED) jumping to conclusions again i see ,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: mind you whats new, where your comments are concerned,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only think it's worth doing this if you're going to be shooting in a place likely to cause concern, golf club or near a built up area springs to mind. Common sense?

I'm a copper and we get calls in all the time about gun shots being heard, contrary to what some people on here believe the first response isn't helicopters and armed officers, that is complete ********!! In fact in my 6 years I don't think I've ever heard a recreational shooter facing armed police (Surrey).

Ops1 in the control room will make decisions based on loads of information, not just the sound of a gun shot lol,,,,,

funny, myself and my shooting mate "hawkeye" on here had the helicopter, armed response, beat bobby the lot, we were on a farm shooting pigeon, they had responded to "gunshots" reported by it turned out a trespassing dog walking nosy old cow,all ended amicably, but yes we got the very costly works.

KW

Edited by kdubya

It only takes 2 minutes to ring your local ploice authority and give your details (name,address and mobile number)and let them know when and where you intend to go shooting. The police officer commented by saying ` we wish all shotgun/rifle users did this' which they are right.

It greatly reduces the risk of the armed response and the chopper been called in and being led away in handcuffs, it happens.

Maybe I should do the same for driving as well, another activity for which I am licensed and insured :lol:

Edited by guest1957

Yup! phone 'em and see what difference it makes-

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/400967/Pest_controller_arrested_despite_notifying_police_of_pigeon_cull.html

And why not make it a habit, so that a couple of years down the line the police can then state that it will now become mandatory due to the fact that, “Most shooters already phone up to let us know anyway”.

Yup! Let's make it a bit more officious for ourselves........you know it makes sense.

G.M.

It does not matter if you do let them know. If the police get a call about someone shooting, even if they have a fair idea who it may be, they will normally send someone out anyway. They cant just assume that the guy with the gun is the geezer who called a few hours ago. I regularly get called to shooters , sometimes I'm told that it may be so and so, but the majority of the time its just an everyday shooter like the rest of us. One such call made by a woman in a house next to a huge field...she maintained that shot had been falling into her garden etc....she pointed to me where the shooters were. I strained my eyes accross this vast field and against the far treeline I could just make them out. It must have been at least 800m to them. I tried to explain to this woman that no way could shot be hitting her house from this distance...eventually she conceded that it was the noise that had caused her to call us...

For the permissions that I go lamping on near houses, I went and knocked on the doors of the nearby houses and explained that they may hear bangs and see lights at night. I also left them my number and told them what 4x4 I would be in, and said if they ever have any concerns that they should call me in the first instance.

Not had the police come anywhere near me yet and they all ask me how I'm getting on if they see me during the day.

For the permissions that I go lamping on near houses, I went and knocked on the doors of the nearby houses and explained that they may hear bangs and see lights at night. I also left them my number and told them what 4x4 I would be in, and said if they ever have any concerns that they should call me in the first instance.

Not had the police come anywhere near me yet and they all ask me how I'm getting on if they see me during the day.

Sounds like a very sensible course of action.

funny, myself and my shooting mate "hawkeye" on here had the helicopter, armed response, beat bobby the lot, we were on a farm shooting pigeon, they had responded to "gunshots" reported by it turned out a trespassing dog walking nosy old cow,all ended amicably, but yes we got the very costly works.

KW

Fair play,

I'm not saying it can't happen it's just not something I've ever heard of, in my force anyway.

Common sense normally does prevail, shame it didn't in your case.

The other thing worth bearing in mind is what the reporting person has said to the call taker, it can be very inaccurate from what I see day to day.

15 people fighting is generally 4 blokes messing around. Scary man has just pointed a shotgun at me and threatened to kill me is more like, sensible person pigeon shooting. Some people eh!!!!!

Good idea.....IF the locals are country folk or are not anti-shooting.

If they are of the mindset of the bunny-hugging brigade you may well find that you have shot yourself in the foot, as they will now know what you look like, your phone number and even worse what your motor looks like................ :oops::oops::oops:

G.M.

right frist thing dont waste your time calling the police about going shooting second thing is that its wasting more taxpayer money forw ho ever to type in a computer to say so and so is going to be out with a gun needless to say this wont stop a police officer to come and check on you activate when that get a call about gun shots or person with a gun and third thing is its legal for us to go out and shot with a gun when we wish and want to thats why we pay for fac/sgc and i really dout what we im cambridgeshire will be seeing a police helcopter anytime soon due to its been cut from the police force and is cambs police needs one thay will have to borrow one from a other force

right frist thing dont waste your time calling the police about going shooting second thing is that its wasting more taxpayer money forw ho ever to type in a computer to say so and so is going to be out with a gun needless to say this wont stop a police officer to come and check on you activate when that get a call about gun shots or person with a gun and third thing is its legal for us to go out and shot with a gun when we wish and want to thats why we pay for fac/sgc and i really dout what we im cambridgeshire will be seeing a police helcopter anytime soon due to its been cut from the police force and is cambs police needs one thay will have to borrow one from a other force

Rob, I'm not one to be bothered about the odd typo or grammatical error, but a whole paragraph without a single punctuation mark is very, very hard to read. :( I had to give up half way through which is a shame as I'm sure you've got something interesting to say. Just the odd full stop would make all the difference. :good:

It only takes 2 minutes to ring your local ploice authority and give your details (name,address and mobile number)and let them know when and where you intend to go shooting. The police officer commented by saying ` we wish all shotgun/rifle users did this' which they are right.

It greatly reduces the risk of the armed response and the chopper been called in and being led away in handcuffs, it happens.

There's little point as they are legally bound to go out to reports of firearms (or shotgun) use. Most forces dont have a robust enough coping mechanism plus why would we volunteer ANOTHER level of bureacracy ???????

This is a bit of a difficult one for most people as, I suggest, we all would wish to save public money and generally support the rule of law.

However, until the police as a whole treat shooters fairly and acknowledge there is no need for us to do this but that they, (the police) would appreciate it and respond to the initial complaint intelligently, no-one will want to comply.

I'm happy to save them time but not for them to expect it, nor to be treated like a damn nuisance when I ring up.

I'd willingly support them fully, if firearms advice was largely the same everywhere.

In fact, if they treated us with the respect we (mostly) deserve, I dont think anyone would mind.

My local wildlife officer is personally supportive of shooters and shooting and has become a friend, so I usually call it in for him.

If he wasnt there or hadnt made a significant personal effort - I wouldnt call it in.

There's little point as they are legally bound to go out to reports of firearms (or shotgun) use. Most forces dont have a robust enough coping mechanism plus why would we volunteer ANOTHER level of bureacracy ???????

Is that from actual experience or speaking from your minds eye? My one experience that resulted from a phoned in advice that I was shooting a well overlooked parcel of land was as follows:

Mobile rings: Hello this is Leicester police headquarters, is that MR.G?

"Yes it is"

We have received a call about someone shooting in "the" field, are you still there shooting rabbits sir?

"Yes I am, nearly finished now though"

Would you be able to nip up to the gate to RV with one of our officers please MR.G?

"OK, give me five minutes to make safe my rifles and stow them away please"

Thank you sir.

Two minutes later the mobile rings again:

Hello MR.G?

"Yes"

There will be no need to RV with our officer as we have established you have a Firearms Certificate and since we know it is you who is there the issue has been resolved. Thank you for your understanding and we hope you got plenty of rabbits Sir.

"OK mate - I'm off in about five minutes though.

So the incident got responded to - with a low cost satisfactory result. I only call in the locations I am new to if they are overlooked. Once OH-MY-GOSH locals know someone shoots there fairly regularly they are less likely to be alarmed.

Is that from actual experience or speaking from your minds eye? My one experience that resulted from a phoned in advice that I was shooting a well overlooked parcel of land was as follows:

Mobile rings: Hello this is Leicester police headquarters, is that MR.G?

"Yes it is"

We have received a call about someone shooting in "the" field, are you still there shooting rabbits sir?

"Yes I am, nearly finished now though"

Would you be able to nip up to the gate to RV with one of our officers please MR.G?

"OK, give me five minutes to make safe my rifles and stow them away please"

Thank you sir.

Two minutes later the mobile rings again:

Hello MR.G?

"Yes"

There will be no need to RV with our officer as we have established you have a Firearms Certificate and since we know it is you who is there the issue has been resolved. Thank you for your understanding and we hope you got plenty of rabbits Sir.

"OK mate - I'm off in about five minutes though.

So the incident got responded to - with a low cost satisfactory result. I only call in the locations I am new to if they are overlooked. Once OH-MY-GOSH locals know someone shoots there fairly regularly they are less likely to be alarmed.

Fair point. You'll note I used the word MOST. I have no knowledge of leicester police but I do recall a piece in one of the shooting monthlies about a copper who'd set up some sort of phone in type of arrangement in that area (not sure if it was in his role as plod or not). They are duty bound to investigate reports of firearms and SG use. Investigate, obviously chose to do the right thing in your case. I can just imagine the press reports and public response if it was a less savoury incident involving a licensed gun owner !

Fair point. You'll note I used the word MOST. I have no knowledge of leicester police but I do recall a piece in one of the shooting monthlies about a copper who'd set up some sort of phone in type of arrangement in that area (not sure if it was in his role as plod or not). They are duty bound to investigate reports of firearms and SG use. Investigate, obviously chose to do the right thing in your case. I can just imagine the press reports and public response if it was a less savoury incident involving a licensed gun owner !

Are they though? I don't se that they are. They may have a duty to investigate upon the suggestion or suspicion of illegal firearms use but why of anything else? If, for instance, some busy-body decides to phone in a report of a bloke in tweeds shoting a side-by-side at birds in the middle of a field in the countryside then why is there any need to investigate at all? Obviously, if it's a report of a teenager in a hoody leaning out of a car window with a Mac 10 in the centre of Manchester then that's a different matter and would warrant some pretty serious investigating.

The police don't expect to get reports from people about every single car that passes their house because the driver might be uninsured or drunk so why report some bloke with a gun in the very setting you would expect to see a bloke with a gun?

J.

Are they though? I don't se that they are. They may have a duty to investigate upon the suggestion or suspicion of illegal firearms use but why of anything else? If, for instance, some busy-body decides to phone in a report of a bloke in tweeds shoting a side-by-side at birds in the middle of a field in the countryside then why is there any need to investigate at all? Obviously, if it's a report of a teenager in a hoody leaning out of a car window with a Mac 10 in the centre of Manchester then that's a different matter and would warrant some pretty serious investigating.

The police don't expect to get reports from people about every single car that passes their house because the driver might be uninsured or drunk so why report some bloke with a gun in the very setting you would expect to see a bloke with a gun?

J.

Well the thing is that the reports they get won't be very accurate. As so many people don't know the difference between a SxS and an AK-47, and some don't even know that guns can be used and held legally, the police will never really know what to expect. Lets face it, if people understood enough to tell the police that it's a person in tweeds using a SxS then they aren't likely to be phoning the police in the first place.

As to whether they are 'duty bound' to investigate I'm not sure, but due to what I've put above they probably should investigate even if they've a good idea of who it'll be.

Also, can you imagine if someone rang in about seeing a gunman in a field, and it turned out to be Derrick Bird/some other nutter on a rampage, and the police replied 'yes, thank-you, but it's common for people with guns to be shooting in fields' how would that look on them if it then turned out very different? I think they are always likely to investigate, even if to simply cover themselves.

By phoning in and telling them your shooting it should indeed change the level of response you get, instead of an ARU you should get a bobby just checking that it is indeed OK, but I think that they will always send someone.

Phoning in wouldn't be a major issue for some, but it must not become compulsory, which is the biggest concern, and it needs to be quicker and easier. Many seem to have found that they have to spend far too much time telling them every detail, and so it's just too much trouble. An efficient system could be useful in sensitive areas, but it should never be compulsory.