Shooting over a footy pitch

madkarter

Hi all

I've just gained my first permission. I thought "outside the box" and asked the local footy pitch greenkeeper if I can have a go at the pigeons. Luckily there is already a permission in place for the bunnies - so as long as I leave them alone i'm free to let loose on the birds.

Thing is - it's quite near a road and opposite that is quite a public infested river ;-)

Any one else have quite a "public permission" and do you have any tips/advice to share?

i would definitely log in with the police 101 number and state performing pest control in those conditions, i can pretty much guarantee someone will call the police at some point.

Spot on, shooting somewhere like that would be the only time id Call plod in advance :good:

Edited by M.I.A

I've not shot it yet - will do a recce over the next couple of days

The pitch is surrounded by waste ground of at least 50m each side before you get to the road

the only concern is the road - but i'd shoot with my back to that

If it's a fairly quiet day - a Browning Medallist 12g

If it's a busy day - a .22 air rifle

I'm thinking this may turn out in the long run to be my "air rifle" permission

come on NB can't you picture it hide between the goal posts decoys out the front :lol:

to me its a non starter rabbits with an airgun maybe but not pigeons for starters its going to be hard to live up to the general license secondly its going to be such slow going

Its a piece of land 350 metres wide by 250 metres behind a footy pitch

It's used as pitches for kiddies footy in the summer.

Best described as a footy pitch - but used for a variety of purposes

As I said - a guy has rabbit permission on it already...

The reason i asked permission is because I drive by it every day and it's covered in pigeons and gulls

general license aside, I shoot over several pitches as they get hammered by rabbits.

.22lr subs and .177 air

always log in with Police and do a full recce before and during

not the same really as I work at night but same principle.

personally think you will acheive more with air rifle and baited area, not sure what impact you will have on the general population in a relatively built up area though.

shoot 50 and 50 more will be there by morning I imagine

Hi all

I've just gained my first permission. I thought "outside the box" and asked the local footy pitch greenkeeper if I can have a go at the pigeons. Luckily there is already a permission in place for the bunnies - so as long as I leave them alone i'm free to let loose on the birds.

Thing is - it's quite near a road and opposite that is quite a public infested river ;-)

Any one else have quite a "public permission" and do you have any tips/advice to share?

Have you really thought about this? I think not! :hmm:

Personally I think you have the go ahead because no one is daft enough to shoot it…

Also the person who gave you permission is not that clued up as it is bound to attract a call to the police….Ok you might well have permission to shoot it. However, will the few pigeons you shoot/scare do great deal of harm to the grass?

First permission or not, don’t do it…..as it will cause you more grief than a little.

There is the saying “A willing horse will be flogged” :innocent:

TEH

Recce'd it last night. Loadsa bunnies on it (Will be seeking perm from adjacent golf course too) Plenty of cover/distance from the road. Two corners of tree cover, plenty of long grass in the borders. Mainly air rifle to start with, but want to shotty it if I think positioning is ok. Seeking another shotty perm, got one in mind