gun transportation question

hello shooting folk,

I find myself in a quandary with regard to the transporting of a shotgun on a motorcycle ,i have a pair of Investarms <20/410 combo and 12/12> both folders that go nicely in a ratbag <rat catcher bag> lashed to the side however this is not the issue. my problem was with my Mossberg 500 ATP pump, I love shooting it be it clays vermin or whatever but carrying it on the bike is... well was... a problem. A short time ago I came by a shotgun mollie scabbard which functionally seems perfect securing firmly in place and clipping through the trigger guard holding the gun in. The thing is looking at the rig it just seems illegal to me having part sticking out ,I know that by the letter of the law a gun dont have to be covered but its extremely advisable to have it so, in transit there will be a trigger lock in place and it will be under my charge at all times with FAC on my person ect ... I include a photo and ask your opinions... legal or not ???

cheers shooting types your impetus is always gratefully accepted )=]}~post-20426-0-72225600-1339960090.jpg

As others have said, I don't think it's illegal. It's illegal to have an loaded shotgun in a public place without lawful excuse - the law doesn't say anything about it being covered or not. As (I hope) it's unloaded and you're taking it to wherever you're going to use it, you have a lawful excuse.

HOWEVER..... Deep down I suspect you know it's a daft thing to do, which will attract all sorts of unwanted attention. Why on earth wouldn't you use a full slip and cover it completely? ???

Edited by Blunderbuss

of course theres a bag over the stock that i connect to the straps ,my issue is that the 500 wont take down in any significant way and iv found riding with a bag across my back problematic to say the least... the question is more driven to the side mounting on a bike

yes blunderbuss thers a bag... look at my chain guard ,do u think id cake my gun in that b4 i even got to the shoot?

Fair enough, but I can't understand this line in your opening post then: "The thing is looking at the rig it just seems illegal to me having part sticking out", why would you say that if you intended to cover it up all along? And why didn't you photograph it with the full cover on. That would have saved a lot of confusion :yes:

Nice bike by the way :good:

the gun is covered its not on show like that i just threw it in to take the pic so i could ask the question. theres a draw string nylon boot bag over the protrusion

the question is can a gun be carried on a bike rather than on me on a bike... i seen many firearms on quads ect but thus far never on a bike

the gun is covered its not on show like that i just threw it in to take the pic so i could ask the question. theres a draw string nylon boot bag over the protrusion

the question is can a gun be carried on a bike rather than on me on a bike... i seen many firearms on quads ect but thus far never on a bike

Then re-take the picture, and show how you intend to carry it.

As long as the gun is secured to the bike (ie wont fall off or spin around sideways) it will be fine.

Yes, it will be perfectly legal and as it will be completely covered no one will suspect it's a gun. I regularly carry a rifle/shotgun out and about on my quad in such a manner without anyone ever giving it a second look.

chris & charlie thank you ... i understand that on forums straight answers are not always forth coming and the trolling of some ppl is more aimed at pulling a post apart rather than giving an answer or opinion so again thanks and soon as *** i will take a pic as it will look in transit

Mate if the "trolling" comment was meant for me, you're well wide of the mark. Read your first post again, it gives the distinct impression that you were fully intending to ride around with your gun on display. You made no mention in the first post about covering the stock up, in fact you said "it just seems illegal to me having part sticking out", which makes no sense if you weren't intending to do it.

My comments were prompted by the photograph and wording of your OP. Read it again and you will see they were justified. You've now clarified what you actually meant, :good: So there isn't a problem. Please don't call me a troll :no:

its only ever a problem if something goes wrong.

legally you just need to prevent un-licensed people gaining access, i reckon you would be fine as long as you aren't riding through slow moving traffic like that.

i saw someone the other day on the A5 in bedfordshire on a bike with a gunslip over his back.

i always fancied one of those ex-army harley davidson 350's with the rifle slip on the back, might fit my little single barrel 12g in it

Harley%20Davidson%20MT%20350E%20Army%20Bike.jpg

of course theres a bag over the stock that i connect to the straps ,my issue is that the 500 wont take down in any significant way and iv found riding with a bag across my back problematic to say the least... the question is more driven to the side mounting on a bike

You can slip the barrel off decently easy which will save you 20" in length or so. At that point I'd throw it in a tall backpack.

Thanks,

Rick

hello shooting folk,

I find myself in a quandary with regard to the transporting of a shotgun on a motorcycle ,i have a pair of Investarms <20/410 combo and 12/12> both folders that go nicely in a ratbag <rat catcher bag> lashed to the side however this is not the issue. my problem was with my Mossberg 500 ATP pump, I love shooting it be it clays vermin or whatever but carrying it on the bike is... well was... a problem. A short time ago I came by a shotgun mollie scabbard which functionally seems perfect securing firmly in place and clipping through the trigger guard holding the gun in. The thing is looking at the rig it just seems illegal to me having part sticking out ,I know that by the letter of the law a gun dont have to be covered but its extremely advisable to have it so, in transit there will be a trigger lock in place and it will be under my charge at all times with FAC on my person ect ... I include a photo and ask your opinions... legal or not ???

cheers shooting types your impetus is always gratefully accepted )=]}~post-20426-0-72225600-1339960090.jpg

Legal - yes. Advisable.....??????

J.