Social networking websites and shooting related imagery

Cake444

Hi everybody, hope all is well.

This is probably a strange question, but I really just wanted to get an idea of how others felt.

If you’re on various social networking sights such as Facebook etc... Do you publicise photos of yourself shooting to friends?

The reason I ask is because I use to keep a low profile with regards to shooting across the board but just recently more and more photos of me shooting have appeared on my profile. Mostly all of my good friends know I shoot as it’s always been an interest from an early age.

A friend of mine who shoots also is incredibly secretive. Very few people knows he shoots and he does not even send the word ‘gun’ or ‘shooting’ in text messages! Despite living in the country he carries his gun out the house in the slip, rapped in bin bags and jackets. He has this mindset that he’s being monitored all the time.

In my mind I started to display photos of myself shooting because it’s a hobby and something that I tie in with many parts of my life. The more exposed something is the more normal it becomes.

Anyway, thanks for reading and apologies for blabbing on.

Edited by Cake444

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pictures on my FB profile of me shooting clays. I post other things about shooting. Most of my friends know I shoot. Most take the **** of the thought of me in cammo (no pics though ;) )

I'm with you in that the more exposure to our sport the more it will be accepted.

I also follow PW on FB. Get on it. :good:

lol, I have one friend who likes nickleback :lol:

:yp: he's gone. :yp:

Thanks for that Billy, there's an FB friend of mine who likes the 3rd one down. Will he be offended if I unfriend him :hmm:

I put pictures up...but keep my shooting locations hidden :yp: A few of my friends,(always girls) will write "awww" but tough..if they don't like it, they can defriend me or not click on it. Some also ask questions with regs to why I shot a fox ect...so I give a wee explanation about farmers livestock ect. Quite a lot of my friends shoot/fish ect anyway

:lol: something like 7 friends like nickleback...bad times!

I accidentally shared a photo of me posing, gun in hand, and eight Canada Geese lined up on my facebook. I had tried to email it to myself so I could post it on PW.

I was unaware that this photo was now on my page for everyone to see and didnt log into my account for a few days.

I was shocked when I saw the photo there, but to my surprise I had recieced nearly sixty 'likes' and a ton of comments.

All the comments were good with questions like 'can you eat them?" and 'keep one for me next time' The only negative comment was from a fellow band member who is a veggie and his wife is Canadian...but even that was light hearted.

Edited by hedd-wyn

I do put shooting pic on FB if

its my hobby/ sport/passion

no point being secret about this.

if you are asheme of what You are doing start playing chess or something.

Not a wise idea to be posting pics of youself with guns over here in northern ireland.

my guess is , i offend far more people with my honest open views about the world and people than i do with a couple of geese i had in my hand . facebook just is just a tool for people to express themselves . so fair play to anyone posting anything legal . its a good marketing tool for companys too , mine included.

got 6 mates on fb and we all post every thing we shoot i will never hide be scared of what i do im not sneaking around for NO 1

ITS MY HOBBY all legal simples every who no"s me knows i have guns and kill stuff if they don't like it delete me i don't want them as friends