Any good allergies out there?

ack-ack

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seafood especially if mixed with only a small amount of alcohol for me but I never knew until a few years ago when at a very posh wedding - it was a real cringeworthy way of finding out :blush: :blush: :blush:. I'm sure this story will generate a few giggles...

At said wedding was set meal with, yes you've guessed it, prawn cocktail starter, not ever tried them before so get stuck in - really disliked it but wasn't going to be the only one leaving it on our table so forced the rest of it down along with the free couple of glasses of wine (no other significant amount of alcohol - yet). Within 10 mins I felt like I had been on an all day bender - my head started spinning, I felt nauseus, broke out in a cold sweat and starting to shake all over. I just managed to make it to the end of the speeches before stumbling off to the toilets and that's where I stayed for the next 4 or 5 hours, missing all the free booze and entertainment :no: hell I was ill and from both ends too. Finally felt safe enough to emerge for the last hour or so and painted over the faces of most of the guests was look at that drunk what's he doing here spoiling our Ellies wedding (I'd have thought the same of me without knowing what had happened TBH) - thankgod the bride and groom who were close friends knew better of me and did their best to relieve the embarrassement somewhat. By the time the taxi picked us up I was feeling almost normal and of course stone cold sober too - not that I'd have dared touch anything but water the rest of that night - the upset stomach lasted for nearly a week with the service station toilets along the M4 on the drive home the following day taking most of the punishment :lol:

I've been told since that most forgave my "drunkeness" when they realised that most of the wedding album was made up of my photos - the pro photographer (a family member) had apparently screwed up most of the shots - luckily I'd taken my gear and what I had taken before falling ill, mostly informal stuff was just what they were looking for :).

I've since repeated the seafood experiment just to make sure but this time did so in the safety of my own home and parents watching on - they didn't believe me at first - and yep sure enough a few prawns + just one bottle of cider = :eh::sad1::cry1: :wacko: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Oh well lesson learned stay away from seafood - that suits me, it's foul stuff anyway :)

Wow. Quick question, do you get any symptoms if you consume either seafood OR alcohol separately?

For me its Eggs,

Cannot stand the sight, smell or the very thought of eating any form of egg ie fried, poached, boiled etc etc.

Used to murder as a truck driver when every where does 'Set Breakfast' including egg or multiple of eggs.

Someone would come and sit down and start stirring their sloppy fried egg or dipping their sausage in it (oooerrrr that sounds worse)

and I'd be off like a shot and hurling me guts up.

Cant even eat a breakfast if I know theyve put an egg on in error and then taken it off = Its been there :sick:

Snap !! Even when out for a meal, any one in the immediate vicinity with eggs, will cause problems for me, hence we tend to stick to Indian !!

Also Codeine, which causes fairly intense muscle spasms = not a lot of fun!

And apparently, Chloramphenicol, an "older" antibiotic, which used to be used in eye drops...

But, I am Blood group D, have a rare form of MD, and take 40 tablets a day, so par for the course really!!

ATB

Sim

Edited by FarmerSim

Wow. Quick question, do you get any symptoms if you consume either seafood OR alcohol separately?

Yes and no... Alcohol no (not unless it's a large / silly quantity obviously) as for seafood I very rarely ever touch it - especially since that episode and it doesn't ever seem to feature in our home cooking, no ones a particular fan of it, however breaded scampi (real scampi not the monkfish tail pieces-which are fine) will give me stomach ache, indigestion for a few hours and will usually go through me quickly :o but no sweats, shaking, dizziness or vomiting etc it seems to be the combination with alcohol that causes it - what chemical interactions are going on to cause such a extreme reaction I don't know but I just know now to avoid it or feel / be extremely ill for 4 or 5 hours and suffer the runs for several days after that.

Yes and no... Alcohol no (not unless it's a large / silly quantity obviously) as for seafood I very rarely ever touch it - especially since that episode and it doesn't ever seem to feature in our home cooking, no ones a particular fan of it, however breaded scampi (real scampi not the monkfish tail pieces-which are fine) will give me stomach ache, indigestion for a few hours and will usually go through me quickly :o but no sweats, shaking, dizziness or vomiting etc it seems to be the combination with alcohol that causes it - what chemical interactions are going on to cause such a extreme reaction I don't know but I just know now to avoid it or feel / be extremely ill for 4 or 5 hours and suffer the runs for several days after that.

Cheers, interesting.

I've got a severe intolerance / allergy to oysters, but only oysters. However I can't ever recall trying one without a drink at the same time.

Might be too chicken to try though as they do have a very nasty effect on me...

i think the best allergie i have heard of was a guy that worked with us who refused to work with the cosywrap/glass wool insulation because he was allergic to it, when asked what it did to him he replied............ yes you have guessed it, it made him all ITCHY :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers, interesting.

I've got a severe intolerance / allergy to oysters, but only oysters. However I can't ever recall trying one without a drink at the same time.

I don't blame you I'm in a similar boat in that I don't know whether other sea foods will cause it but TBH knowing what could happen I'm not bothered about finding out.

I remember a few lectures back in Uni about drug interactions - though the buzz then was all about drug effectiveness when taken with grapefruit juice (contains saquinivir) but it was clear then that all sorts of weird and unexpected interactions can occur that no amount of drug trials would expose...

More related to alcohol / food interactions I recall a Ray Mears program where the botanist guy Professor Gordon Hillman had a severe reaction to eating rare lab grown but otherwise edible mushrooms then going to the pub for a pint upon which he lost colour vision before passing out and being taken to hospital etc - I'm sure the full story must be on the net somewhere if you're interested. I remember thinking about those lectures and the story on Ray Mears for most of the journey home.

Anyway sorry to go so far off topic - at one point I did find this kind of stuff interesting infact the drug lectures are the only few I seem to remember actually enjoying.

Does anyone know anyone with a kiwi fruit allergy?

They are banned in packed lunches at my son's school.

I've got a mild allergy to almost all raw fruit and vegetables! :rolleyes: Its worst with things like melon, kiwi and celery and virtually none existant with stuff like stawberries, raspberries and carrots?! It's just mild itching inside my mouth/throat that gets worse the more i eat and it eventually builds to a rash, swelling and my throat closing, great fun(!) Oddly, if the food is cooked or processed it doesn't happen. :blink:

I'd like to have a toxicology report done but at £300 minimum and me being tight, i'm happy just to avoid certain fruit and cook my veg :lol:

Cheers, interesting.

Used to love all shellfish, especially oysters. Don't know if I had a bad one but since then they make me violently sick, all other seafood/shellfish still OK.

:hmm:

Used to love all shellfish, especially oysters. Don't know if I had a bad one but since then they make me violently sick, all other seafood/shellfish still OK.

:hmm:

Same, all seafood I'm fine with except them. I've had both raw and cooked oysters and it's the same. I even once had a dish at a restaurant which included a poached oyster in horseradish ice cream (whoever thought that up wants slapping but that's another matter), anyhoo, I scraped it onto a side plate but a bit of the ice cream juice ran onto my steak and I ate it.

About midnight, puked it all up. Was a bloody expensive meal too, at Bell's Diner in Montpelier in Bristol. Used to be our pre-holiday treat.

I'm allergic to the adhesive on dressings and tapes. The better it sticks, the more reaction I get. The stuff they used on my back when I had a chest drain last year took ages for the skin to recover. The sticky they use to hold canular in, will not even stick to my skin.

Same, all seafood I'm fine with except them. I've had both raw and cooked oysters and it's the same. I even once had a dish at a restaurant which included a poached oyster in horseradish ice cream (whoever thought that up wants slapping but that's another matter), anyhoo, I scraped it onto a side plate but a bit of the ice cream juice ran onto my steak and I ate it.

About midnight, puked it all up. Was a bloody expensive meal too, at Bell's Diner in Montpelier in Bristol. Used to be our pre-holiday treat.

My wife is the same with mussels :sick:

We knew she was bad if she ate them, but we were in Brazil once and she had some rice thing with a meal which had the odd mussel in it. She thought it would be OK if she just sacked the mussels and ate the rest, but she was still bad in the night. :oops:

All things duck for me. If I have a duck egg I go into anaphylactic shock. I have to wear gloves when cooking with duck fat or it makes my joints swell up and I come out in a massive rash. If I eat the meat I get the same rash and become somewhat regular. I do eat a wild duck or two over the winter though as its my favourite meat I just buy extra bog roll.

I must be allergic to attractive women, when I see them my knob goes all funny and swollen!

:lol:

Nial

That makes me think about my little dog he has been dun so there is no problem with him chasing the ladies but if he has to strain hard to have a poo he get a big stiffy and for some reason and finds it imposable to walk until it goes down its so funny to see him thinking what is that big thing doing there.

back to the allergy thing the one that gets me is oil seed rape when in flower it gets rite up nose that bloody pollen.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

fish and shell fish had a bad episode about 8 weeks ago had a spring roll that had a couple of shrimps in it.4 days in hospital throat closed tongue swollen worst rash and itching you could imagine and my blood pressure dropped through the floor.now have to carry an e pen with me