£15 Pigeons

Dr Spin

Having read this from top to bottom I would say Will took loads of stick before responding, and see absolutely no problem in the way he did. KW also seems to have far more balanced view of how the day went.

I wouldn't be pigeon guide if you paid me 100 grand a year :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a thankless job. Get everything right with hundreds of birds dead and thats what people were expecting so its normal. Nothing doing with nothing much about and people will moan and complain about paying money for something they have percieved they didn't get.

This is a general comment about being a pigeon guide, I have no interest in taking sides in this one I am sure there is a lot more to it than has been said.

I was going to stay well out of this one but have decided to add my input. :)

Its a thankless job. Get everything right with hundreds of birds dead and that’s what people were expecting so it’s normal. Nothing doing with nothing much about and people will moan and complain about paying money for something they have perceived they didn't get.

Unfortunately this attitude is often the case, some shooters see more in a days shooting than a pile of dead birds, others don’t.

However, and I will stand corrected if I am wrong, but you would have posted completely differently if you had shot 100 birds I think

I agree totally, if Dr Spin had been shooting away all day he wouldn’t have even thought of mentioning the so called lack of attention.

I don’t think there is a guide in this country who hasn’t received ex-customers of another guide who have had experiences that haven’t met their expectations. My father gets them and I’m sure other guides get some of his unhappy ex-customers.

Paying for a days shooting doesn’t guarantee anything. So long as you receive a service for your money then you can’t complain, a good bag of birds is an added bonus that can’t be produced out of a hat.

Apart from the moral responsibility you will also find under The Health and Safety Act 1974 you have a duty of care to your paying customers.

This is a fact, EVERY shooting guide that takes out paying clients should hold private liability insurance, my father pays over £700 per annum for his. Unfortunately not many guide do, it’s their neck on the line if there is an accident.

Cheers,

Mark.

"On Day 2 You told me to keep below the hide and this I did but with no pigeons about it made no difference. Of the 8 I got one I shot off a branch and one I shot at long range off the ground sighting the shotgun................."

very sporting shots :)

:) MR

You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time seems relevant here.

Like MR I’ve tried to stay out of this as I feel this (or any other such forum) is not the place to be arguing the toss over commercial situations. People have to make a living and there are always two sides to every story. Sometimes the company gets it wrong and sometimes the client. In my book the old chestnut ‘the client is always right’ isn’t so. Any commercial situation is a two way street. There are too many times on here when people (generally ones who rarely post much else) slag off the professionals, the companies that supply the shooting and the products and quite frankly I for one don’t want to hear your problems…talk straight to the man and sort it out between yourselves. Like men.

That’s my view on commerce now my take on the problem…most of us on here know that Woody is among the most difficult quarry to pin down. Great when it works but a pain when it doesn’t. Whether or not you ‘buy’ your days you ‘pay’ for them somehow but if you always expect to win when pigeon shooting then take up another sport. There are people on here who probably don’t shoot much above 100 pigeons a year and then there are some who shoot 1000’s, tens of 000’s but I’d stake my hat on the fact that everyone has more ‘bad’ (relative term) days than good (again a relative term). That’s the name of the game we all enjoy. I guess a novice who’s perhaps seen the vids (why don’t they ever make ‘em of a typical day?) or heard all the tales might have high expectations and if you’re not akin to the sport if nothing much is happening it can get pretty boring but that’s all part of the game. Mr B might have done things a bit differently, checked to see if the guy had a phone, checked how much of a player he was and maybe spent a bit more time with him or taken a course in man management as sometimes the best reaction is to say **** it! :) OR maybe it was just a clash of personalities. Hey these things happen but what a shame when we all share a common interest that so much **** gets chucked around and bad feelings result. That doesn’t help anyone ‘cause like now no one’s a winner, everyone looks bad.

:) MR

There are too many times on here when people (generally ones who rarely post much else) slag off the professionals, the companies that supply the shooting and the products and quite frankly I for one don’t want to hear your problems…talk straight to the man and sort it out between yourselves. Like men.

when we all share a common interest that so much **** gets chucked around and bad feelings result. That doesn’t help anyone ‘cause like now no one’s a winner, everyone looks bad.

Blimey Highlander talking sense :)

I agree, and I am sure both Will and Dr S could do without airing the dirty washing, I am sorry for both you guys, but I really feel Dr S you should have resolved this outside the forum, when a man relies on a good reputation built over many years it can easily been dented and that seems very unfair in this case, the very fact of naming the thread £15 woodies tells me all I need to know, I suspect if I had to put a price on my wildfowling it would scare yer pants off, its not about what it costs per bird its about so much more :P

pavman

On Day 2 You told me to keep below the hide and this I did but with no pigeons about it made no difference. Of the 8 I got one I shot off a branch and one I shot at long range off the ground sighting the shotgun as a rifle so there's probably 2 more than a lot of novices get.

2. It sounds to me like you need some serious tuition in the use of a SHOTGUN as both your memorable kills were "SITTING TARGETS" , of which , it seems ; you are more skillful in ,whilst using a RIFLE to kill your quarry. A few days at a clay shoot might not go amiss, or at least a few days out in the rough locally.

Well I have already mentioned the fact that I have used Will's outfit before and had a very enjoyable and "looked after" day. And I was MOST surprised that you told me it was him.

After reading all of the posts and Will's response it seems to me that a large portion if the blame lies in 2 main categories.

1. Your associates you went with should have mentioned the fact a mobile phone would have been a good idea AND also knowing you were a novice,they should have rang Will themselves to make sure you were alright.

2 . as above.

I am NOT SLAGGING ANYBODY OFF just giving some FREE, EXPERIENCED ADVICE.

If you have read any of my most recent posts especially the one regarding our 1,300 + fortnight you will have read that the amount of hours, miles and blanks that we endured throughout the year would have killed off many a shooter. But it all came good that time.

We got "SLAGGED OFF" for doing our 1,300 birds , (jealousy rearing it's ugly head) by a number of members on this site and we don't give a ****e what they think as this will ALWAYS HAPPEN. (kiddies as they are)

Since our fantastic bags , in the last 2 wekends we have endured hours of driving round looking for pigeons(yet again). Set up our hides and took them down again , many , many times and have shot less than 60 birds a day.

That to us is a bad weekend.

We would LOVE to bag up every weekend. (probably break my bank in doing so)

BUT we don't moan about it because we EXPECT it a lot of the time and we do it for the farmers and our benefits.

We know it is hard but we don't have the pressure of doing it for some "Fare paying customer". That is where HARD comes in.

I don't envy any guides' job,as I know how hard it is to give OURSELVES a good day.

QUOTE(Highlander @ Aug 23 2006, 02:36 PM) *

There are too many times on here when people (generally ones who rarely post much else) slag off the professionals, the companies that supply the shooting and the products. quote .

I totally agree with you Highlander.

And so will BAD DAYS happen ,with a professional guide like WILL or just with your mates ,or on your own.

Dave K

P.S And I can only presume that the pigeon shooting round your way was **** and that is why you decided to visit WILL'S Domain. (UNLUCKY this time.)

so topgunner its down to me is it? jeez the world is full of EXPERTS after the event? you said you had read the posts maybe you did but you sure as hell did NOT understand them, I have tried my sodding best to be as impartial in this as I can! this is about ONE man and his views of HIS treatment regardless of the rights or wrongs of his "views" please do not have the temerity to "blame his mates" you may have read my post on this well READ IT AGAIN then come back and answer some of YOUR OWN points

oh and this is my last word on this as I am starting to get well ****** off with all this.

cheers KW

er a bloke that is as honest as the day is long and as up front as you can get but for some reason a **** to his mates