£15 Pigeons

Dr Spin

I am writing my first post to express my disappointment with my first taste of pigeon shooting with a professional Company. Having only shot Wood pigeon on three occassions before so as a complete novice I decided to go with a couple of my mates to gain some valuable knowledge from the experts.

I ended up coming home very disappointed and a bag of 8 pigeons for a full days shooting. Admittedly the weather was atrocious on the morning but on the afternoon it turned into a beautiful day. I was set up in a field where we had seen a large number of pigeon. I shot my 8 early on but my gripe was what happened next. I spent the rest of the day (4-5 hours) staring into space. All the pigeon disappeared. However no representative came to check if I was Ok or check on my bag. I was left completely alone with no backup which I think is not good for a novice.

I am the type who does not carry a mobile phone but I was not told I needed one and my mate was visited by one of the employees and moved to a better spot without asking. When I complained the next day I was told they assumed I was getting a good bag and had heard a lot of shots coming from my direction. Funny the day before the boss told me that we are dealing with wild animals and never to take them for granted!

The day before I shot a bit better 15 and at 6pm the pigeons starting to really come in to my field. Low and behold one of the workers turns up and packs everything up. I was told later by the boss I should have told him wait but as a beginner I assumed that was the finishing time and why didn't the worker use his common sense?

I have cancelled my next trip with this company and I have been recommended a Company in Lincolnshire which I will be contacting.

The whole incident as a beginner has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have stood all afternooon in a ditch , fired no more than 25 carts, shot only half a dozen pigeons. Enjoyed myself 100% , paid nowt for the day , made sweet and sour pigeon in the slow cooker, and look forward to doing the same again.

I agree that wild birds are completely unpredictable but I was not complaining about that. It was that as a complete novice I was left in a field miles from nowhere and not checked up on for 5-6 hours. There is also the safety aspect if I had fell down a ditch or shot myself in the foot how long would I have laid there for!

I do a lot of deerstalking and the companies I go with are a lot more professional. You are given a walkie talkie, or a set rendezvous point and time or checked on at regular intervals. Also if they say you start at 9am then that's when you are actually in position not 11.30! What upset me the most was the boss knowing I had only shot 8 birds and had nowt for over 4 hours quite happily took the £125 off me!

I'm going to a lot more careful which company I choose in future or I might just stick to deerstalking

It seems to me that you need to ask questions of an outfitter before you book. In your case when you phone the next outfitter you plan on using you may want to ask;

-how often will I be checked on every hour, every 2 hours?

-will I be moved if there are no birds flying in my area?

-what is the end of our shooting time?

-can we extend that time if the birds are flying well?

Remember Outfitters can not read your mind and are doing a hard job. Most do the job well and are willing to work with their clients, BUT as a client you have to be up front about your abilities and have a realistic expectation of what you can accomplish in the field.

Ask for advise and ask if one of the guides would be willing to stay with you for an hour or two until you get your feet settled under you and you are comfortable.

It is very easy to blame a guide or outfitter for a bad day, but did you do your home woek before you booked the trip? Did you ask the right questions? Did you ask for help or tutoring? It is a two way street.

I hope this helps with your next outing.

NTTF

I am going over to England (Manchester area) over the next few weeks can someone tell me a few company's i can contact, i don't mind traveling away from the Manchester area if it means better shooting, if you don't want to post just PM me

Sorry to here about your day Dr. Spin and i hope the same doesn't happen to me, but as i have now read NEW TO THE FLOCKS post at least i know what qestions to ask :lol:

does price's vary??? what do i expect to pay

The Company is a very well known Southern outfit with a very good reputation. Both my mates had shot with them before and recommended them. I was upfront and told the Outfit I was a novice but as I keep saying the problem was that no one had checked on me during the course of the day as to safety and pigeons etc.

If I had been moved to a different spot like my mate had and still had not shot anymore birds then I would not have complained as I would feel they had done their best.

I have reached the conclusion that when there are a lot of pigeons about it makes the pros job a lot easier but when they are scarce it highlights any problems with organisation and supervision

You say you don't carry a mobile and your mate was moved without needing one however I think it's always a good idea to have one when out shooting just in case you need it like you said about falling in a ditch etc... you could have then also rung them and advised them of the situation.

Ben

The Company is a very well known Southern outfit with a very good reputation. Both my mates had shot with them before and recommended them. I was upfront and told the Outfit I was a novice but as I keep saying the problem was that no one had checked on me during the course of the day as to safety and pigeons etc.

If I had been moved to a different spot like my mate had and still had not shot anymore birds then I would not have complained as I would feel they had done their best.

I have reached the conclusion that when there are a lot of pigeons about it makes the pros job a lot easier but when they are scarce it highlights any problems with organisation and supervision

take up golf mate thats for moaning folk!! :lol:???

I realise now I should have took my mobile but since I was a novice and I was not told I did not take one. I will always do so in the future. Before the shooting sessions no mobile numbers were given out or requested by the Company so I assumed again that I could do without a mobile.

In Scotland where I deerstalk most of the time you can't get a signal so I'm used to using walkie talkies or having someone check on me.

As you say the will be handy in case of an accident that is as long as after the accident you are conscious/can still use a mobile.

Assuming anything is a bad idea :lol:

I am sorry you paid money for a days shooting you were unhappy with, and I hear you when you say what you are complaining about (no checking on you, no moving you). However, and I will stand corrected if I am wrong, but you would have posted completely differently if you had shot 100 birds I think ???

If so, then you really are complaining about how many birds you shot.

As others have said, I have sat in a field and looked at the nice clouds for hours on end and shot next to nothing - come home happy and gone to do it another day. If I had paid good money to a commercial outfit I would expect them to have done the reccy work, sat me in a good spot and moved me if needed. I wouldn't however assume I didn't need a mobile (franly stupid not having one when out shooting in my view) or assume that people would know how I was doing. I would be straight on the blower moaning there were no birds and wanting to be moved. I guess you will know for next time.

Kirky - Golf, LMAO

Dave66 - I too for my first time out stood in a ditch for about 4 hours with my mate and I shot "a pigeon" and got what can only be described as trench foot but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dr. Spin - if you go out again go with a mate or two - I have been out on my own and each time I fell fast asleep and found it very dull. If you can go out with someone who knows a thing or two then it will make the day.

I am writing my first post to express my disappointment with my first taste of pigeon shooting with a professional Company. Having only shot Wood pigeon on three occassions before so as a complete novice I decided to go with a couple of my mates to gain some valuable knowledge from the experts.

I ended up coming home very disappointed and a bag of 8 pigeons for a full days shooting. Admittedly the weather was atrocious on the morning but on the afternoon it turned into a beautiful day. I was set up in a field where we had seen a large number of pigeon. I shot my 8 early on but my gripe was what happened next. I spent the rest of the day (4-5 hours) staring into space. All the pigeon disappeared. However no representative came to check if I was Ok or check on my bag. I was left completely alone with no backup which I think is not good for a novice.

I am the type who does not carry a mobile phone but I was not told I needed one and my mate was visited by one of the employees and moved to a better spot without asking. When I complained the next day I was told they assumed I was getting a good bag and had heard a lot of shots coming from my direction. Funny the day before the boss told me that we are dealing with wild animals and never to take them for granted!

The day before I shot a bit better 15 and at 6pm the pigeons starting to really come in to my field. Low and behold one of the workers turns up and packs everything up. I was told later by the boss I should have told him wait but as a beginner I assumed that was the finishing time and why didn't the worker use his common sense?

I have cancelled my next trip with this company and I have been recommended a Company in Lincolnshire which I will be contacting.

The whole incident as a beginner has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Hi, Dr Spin.

I don't know which outfit you went with but I used an "OUTFIT" last year and they did everything they could to make our day a good one.

We were dropped off by the rep and not long after we were paid a visit to see how we were doing. It had started to rain and he promptly told us to pack all our wet gear straight into his jeep and moved us on to another field which he had reccyed as there were pigeons on it.

He called back again shortly after to make sure we were o.k.

We were informed that 2 vehicles drive round all day spotting and shooting off a few rounds to spook the pigeons off fields with no shooters on, and to keep them moving around.

We had a great day even though it rained.

I agree wholeheartedly with Pin , that it was a bit stupid going to a strange place without a mobile so you could either call the employee or at LEAST your mate to see how he was doing etc.

If you are a complete novice at pigeon shooting , who set up your hide and deek patterns? If it was you then that might have contributed to your lack of BAG.

If you had informed the guides that you were a novice then SHAME on them for not doing their job properly.

AND, last of all why are people AFRAID to GRASS UP the offending Company.

This is a PIGEON FORUM where we are all adults and lots of people come on here for advice etc, and I am pretty sure that if I had paid "GOOD MONEY" and been let down by anyone I would TELL EVERYBODY and face the confrontation coming from the offenders.

And if they "AIN'T GOT THE BOTTLE" to respond to a complaint then they need SHAMING.

I am so sick of all this Pussy-footing, treading on egg shells mentality; just in case we "UPSET" someone

TOUGH LUCK , I say. If you do a SH*TE job be prepared to face the flak.

And if you ain't got the BALLS to respond to a complaint, don't do the job under false pretences.

SO, I will repeat the request.

WHO WERE THEY?:lol:?:P??

Coz I would DEFINITELY like to know if nobody else does.

:lol:???

Dave K

P.S

If you wanna pay only £5 a pigeon send me a pm.

:/:/:lol:

Only Joking.

Sorry to hear about your day Dr Spin.

It might be worth complaining in writing to the company involved putting all those points forward. You never know they might be willing to make amends.

Out of curiosity how many carts did you use for the bag?

I thought this thread was going to be about a very expensive resturant !

LB

The Company I went with was Thames Valley Pigeon Shooting.

They chose the spot and set the patterns out for me. On day 1 it consisted of one magnet and 9 shells without legs. On day 2 it was a magnet, a floater and 20 shells without legs.

I told them that I had only shot 3 times and Will gave me some good tips about concealment etc.

I used less than a box of cartridges including shots fired to try and stir them up at regular intervals.

I made all my complaints to Will the next day face to face but got no response.

I must accept part of the blame for no having my mobile but as a novice if nobody tells me how am I supposed to know?

I hope this answers everyone's questions

The Company I went with was Thames Valley Pigeon Shooting.

They chose the spot and set the patterns out for me. On day 1 it consisted of one magnet and 9 shells without legs. On day 2 it was a magnet, a floater and 20 shells without legs.

I told them that I had only shot 3 times and Will gave me some good tips about concealment etc.

I used less than a box of cartridges including shots fired to try and stir them up at regular intervals.

I made all my complaints to Will the next day face to face but got no response.

I must accept part of the blame for no having my mobile but as a novice if nobody tells me how am I supposed to know?

I hope this answers everyone's questions

Over to you Will.

Dave K

He is a novice pigeon shooter, he could have asked 100 questions and still not asked the correct ones. Without the 20:20 hindsight smart ***** like “new to the flock†possess how was he supposed to know?? The company concerned should have taken a little more care / interest in him – if only because he is a future repeat business customer. OK the mobile phone issue was a lapse of common sense but no excuse to abandon him. A gesture of good will (no pun intended) would be in order, negative publicity will affect more than just this customer.

photopro

Without the 20:20 hindsight smart ***** like “new to the flock” possess how was he supposed to know??

photopro

photopro;

There was nothing smart ***** about those questions. They should be asked of any outfitter at any time by someone considering using one.

That post was meant to help not only Dr. Spin but anyone else considering using an outfitter in the future.

NTTF