redfield leopould or night eater

Tomm

As above, picking up my .17HMR on Friday and will be looking to see what scope I want to sit on it, at the moment I have narrowed it down to these 3, the Leopould and the Redfield look the same, cost the same and are made by the same company but are there any differences in quality of glass e.t.c.? also a slightly cheaper option would be the night eater. all 3 would be a 4-12 magnification range and I don't really want to differ from that. not a fan of fixed magnification on Rimfire rifles, I have looked through all of the threads on here and saw what other people are using, I am not a big fan of MTC as I once had one on a air rifle and didn't like it at all. I want something that's half decent but wont cost the earth, what would you recommend?

many thanks

Tom

You're right, the Redfield is the same as the VX1 except it's cosmetically cheaper. If you can get them both at the same price, then it has to be the Leupold out of the two. It really depends on what YOU prefer and particularly so with the reticles. However, as you "once had an air rifle", I wouldn't totally ignore the new Genesis from you know who.

Tomm

Have a read of this test report, makes interesting reading. Because of the findings I bought the Vortex recently and am very pleased with it.

...............My link

I've got a set of Vortex binoculars and they're first class. I've never seen their scopes but if they're anything like the bino's then you can't go wrong there! :good:

Another vote for Meopta Meopro.

If its Redfield or Leupold I'd have the leupold. Better build. But on an HMR, especially if you're rabbit shooting, light gathering is all important and the Meopta will be better than either. In fact for no frills quality optics with excellent light transmission a Meopro is hard to beat for the money.

I've got a Redfield Revolution 4-12 x 40 on my .22lr. When I get my .17hmr I'll be getting the same in a x50 lens. Really pleased with my Redfield.

I'm very pleased with the Redfield Revolution (4-12x 40) on my HMR too. Clearer than the Leupold that was on previously!

Isn't the magnification on the 50mm only x9?

As above, picking up my .17HMR on Friday and will be looking to see what scope I want to sit on it, at the moment I have narrowed it down to these 3, the Leopould and the Redfield look the same, cost the same and are made by the same company but are there any differences in quality of glass e.t.c.? also a slightly cheaper option would be the night eater. all 3 would be a 4-12 magnification range and I don't really want to differ from that. not a fan of fixed magnification on Rimfire rifles, I have looked through all of the threads on here and saw what other people are using, I am not a big fan of MTC as I once had one on a air rifle and didn't like it at all. I want something that's half decent but wont cost the earth, what would you recommend?

many thanks

Tom

The loopy, it will retain its value better than the redfield. if you can afford why go for the cheaper night eater, my mate has one and its pants compared to the leoplds