recommend a cheap s x s

remy 700

As above, and go for a non ejector, then you wont have to hunt around for spent shells...and it will be cheaper still :yes: Aya Yeoman is a good start point although the chokes are often 1/2 and full...which is a bit tight imo for the close birds, but good for the 35 yarders :yes: But then the tighter chokes come into their own if you go roost shooting :good:

Edited by turbo33

A clean AYA or Baikal would do nicely . There are other good solid makes too . Check it with some snap caps if you get an ejector . I stick some tape over the primer of snap caps to check the pins strike ok .

I would not bother too much over the chokes , you can get them opened if you want but the pattern plates do not look a whole lot different from full to cylinder if you ask me .

Edited by vole

There aren't really any makes you need to avoid, though some are better than others. AYA seem OK and Baikals are reliable and live forever, but there aren't really any bad ones to worry about.

Apart from fit, which is important, make sure they're tight, remove the forend and try to twist the barrels in relation to the stock, it shouldn't really have any play. Make sure it all feels OK, the forend should be tight, make sure the stock isn't cracked and so on.

Buy something with 70mm (2 3/4") chambers or longer. Many old SxS guns are 65mm (2 1/2") and it's dangerous to use longer cartridges, but only using short carts can limit your choices dramatically, it's worth paying extra to be able to use any normal cartridge.

As to the chokes, they aren't that important. Many SxS guns have 1/4 or 1/2 choke, and a full, but there are obviously many combinations around. Ideally I'd be looking for around 1/4 to 1/2 for pigeons, but it's not that critical. Tighter chokes are good on the long distance birds, but they don't help for close targets. They're also more annoying to clean.

Edited by bedwards1966

As to the chokes, they aren't that important. Many SxS guns have 1/4 or 1/2 choke, and a full, but there are obviously many combinations around. Ideally I'd be looking for around 1/4 to 1/2 for pigeons, but it's not that critical. Tighter chokes are good on the long distance birds, but they don't help for close targets. They're also more annoying to clean.

i would totaly agree with that, IMO i wouldnt buy a gun with really tight chokes unless you are going to have them opened up. with a really open choke you can, to a certain extent, fill up the pattern by using a hevier shell. there is a lot that will disagree with me but this is what i have found after using a couple of guns with no choke. the gun that sticks out in my mind is the solway magnum i had which was choked full and full, ok for flighting geese but for shoting ducks on a night flight it was a clean miss or total destruction.

Edited by aister

For cheap sxs you won't go wrong with wabbitbosher of here have a look on the trade guns for sale,he will keep you right.

Most stuff in gun shops at them prices will be about knackered.

Figgy

got a gunmark kestrel sbs 1/4 n 1/2 choke from mr wabbitbosher for 40 quid barrells cleaned up nicely and the stocks nearly done ,ideal hide /rough gun no complaints that man does a good service for all :good: :good:

got a gunmark kestrel sbs 1/4 n 1/2 choke from mr wabbitbosher for 40 quid barrells cleaned up nicely and the stocks nearly done ,ideal hide /rough gun no complaints that man does a good service for all :good: :good:

Yes I have a rifle from the bosher its been a1 , I will keep an eye for a bargain like yours , thanks for the helpfull replies all above

• 1 month later...

For cheap sxs you won't go wrong with wabbitbosher of here have a look on the trade guns for sale,he will keep you right.

Most stuff in gun shops at them prices will be about knackered.

Figgy

Yes I have a rifle from the bosher its been a1 , I will keep an eye for a bargain like yours , thanks for the helpfull replies all above

Thank you All for the recomendations , i've just had New stock of budget side by sides in , i will be listing LOADS on tuesday !

Watch this space (well the Trade for Sale space) for WHOPPER Bargains

Edited by wabbitbosher

for £50 I would go for the best conditioned barrels...you can't get too brand fussy at that budget........£50 is so cheap for what it is I would think some of the guns racked were close to scrap...(obviously they will be within proof to be for sale) but I would think condition wise most are pretty poor..I think I would look to spend at least a tank of petrol on a rough gun not half a tank!..if a gunshop is elling for £50 I guess that means they got the guns for @£20 each...I would be wary at those levels.?

atb.

Guest cookoff013

i`d seriously recomend a gunmark kestrel. i`ve been after a tidy one myself.

as for the posts of "get one that fits", just buy one and make it fit. sxs usually are short in the LOP, and dont even bother putting the stock in the crook of the elbow and saying its ok. the only way to see if it fits is to shoulder it. some use shoulder pads but that looses the feel of a gun sometimes. my merkel is a real short stock, as they are ment to e re-stocked and fitted, its easy to add length, its hard to take it away (for fitting purposes)

as for chokes, leave them be. you are not missing the birds because of the .5mm restriction at the end of the gun. these over choked light guns are designed to run game loads, traditional loads are slower, wouldnt even entertain black gold etc in a light gun.

for £50 I would go for the best conditioned barrels...you can't get too brand fussy at that budget........£50 is so cheap for what it is I would think some of the guns racked were close to scrap...(obviously they will be within proof to be for sale) but I would think condition wise most are pretty poor..I think I would look to spend at least a tank of petrol on a rough gun not half a tank!..if a gunshop is elling for £50 I guess that means they got the guns for @£20 each...I would be wary at those levels.?

atb.

While for £50 you aren't likely to get something in mint, unused condition, provided there isn't any serious pitting or major play in the action, it'll safely go bang and do the job as well as something costing £500. It may not be as nice, but still functional and possibly with many years life in it. Also, the good thing about something that's already had a few bangs, scrapes and dents is you don't worry about adding any more as much!

Here's some pointers for you:

Make sure the gun is tight whether close or open - try and twist the barrels on the action and check for looseness.

Does it open and close easily without excessive pressure on the top lever?

Check the barrels for dinks and the faces for any out of the ordinary marks.

Take it apart and check for any other signs of mis-use or messing about e.g. knackered screw heads, funny welds in the bottom lump, cracked stock or forend etc?

Check it's nitro proof!

Stick some caps in and check the triggers break smooth.

If it's an ejector (I'd doubt it for 50 notes) make sure they both work.

Actually an ejector is no worse than a semi-auto - you just get used to spitting your empties into the side of the hide net with a SxS or O/U.

I wouldn't worry about chokes either - I have one gun choked full & 3/4 so I just shoot the birds further out :good:

I've always bought second hand and been very happy. My last was an ex-Bosher gun and I'm really chuffed with it. It's up to you, but personally I'd wait and see what Mick lists on Tuesday. I'll be having a sneaky look myself :innocent: