Owning a parrot

guinty1

Thinking of buying a parrot, Thinking along the lines of something like a blue fronted amazon, dont want something as big as an african grey. does anyone have experience of keeping parrots that could tell me the does and donts of buying and keeping these birds. Please no smart **** answers about pirates and pieces of eight, keep it for someone else s post.

Thanks in advance.

OMG fraught with danger.

My buddy had a parrot not sure on type but very pretty and colourful,it could select the only expletive in any sentence and repeat at the most inoportune moment,imitate just about any mobile fone and throw nuts etc with pinpoint accuracy throught the bars of its cage into teacups and the like.He couldnt give it away and in the end had to tranquilize it to dupe someone into buying it.

On the other hand he has an african grey that is more entertaining with its talents.

They live forever too.

Make sure it is healthy and has clear eyes, I've never had a blue fronted amazon but had african and timneh greys as well as senegals. Try to get a young bird as some bond better with men and others with women. If you get a young bird then it will be easy to tame and train to do tricks :good:

Mate had one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IZmRnAo6s -

They can be funny but also VERY noisy - almost ear piercing - they need a lot of work - need to be let out and need a lot of attention -- AND they bite - I was asked to go let her out each day - great I thought - sat there while she wondered about - then back in cage time she was on my shoulder and I stood up zoink - got a pierced ear - put my hand up - got a pierce finger and it HURTS.

Also as said this one emitted loads of fine white dust - was everywhere -- to my mind it's worse than having a dog.

dave

I have an African grey. The amount of dust they create is unbelievable.

We inherited my father in laws when he died, dust and vets bills. Try giving a parrot medicine and take your life in your hands. Ours started pulling feathers, the should live in flocks and get lonely in the end we took it to a sanctuary.

I have to say that I do not think that it is rite to keep birds in cages of all animals birds should be free to fly where they please to keep such wonderful things in a cage cannot be rite.

If you want a pet have the time to look after it properly get a dog cats are a wast of good fur most dogs could not survive without having people to look after them and in turn they they will give you love and be loyal.

If you must have a bird then get some chickens they have the advantage of giving eggs as well.

One of my Hobbies is keeping and breeding and showing aviary birds, finches, canaries, softbills and parrotlike species.

Parrots are longlived and require a lot of attention to keep them happy...I have kept and bred many species of parrots over the last 30 years. I have never kept a parrot in a cage without at least spending at least 2 or three hours with it out a day. They are certainly not for a novice birdkeeper in my opinion.

I currently have several lineolated parakeets, cockateils and parrotlets which are aviary bred and not tamed. If you buy a parrot to keep in captivity make sure it is hand reared which in itself will cost you possibly 100% more than a aviary reared bird. Be prepared to dedicate some considerable time to it...its generally recognised that Parrots need more care than an average child.

I would urge you to reconsider but if you are adamant you want a parrot consider a smaller species like a lineolated or a bourke..and get two....buying a solitary parrot and then neglecting it after the novelty has worn off is condemning the bird to a life of solitude and misery.

Dont forget also that many parrots will outlive their owners.

we had a couple of parrots in the past, senegal and african grey,

The senegal was a bit vicious and liked to go for my fingers,...

The african grey was great had it from young and me and the wife use to have it perched on our shoulder walking around the house.

It was deffinatly more of a womens bird, but when she fell pregnant she could not handle it as much as she wanted, so lost the bond a bit to be honest.

It always knew when i was on the phone and made one hell of a noise...and it was very chatty.

Had a few occassions where it started plucking its feathers out etc.....in the end after about 8 years, i was sat in the front room heard a bump and checked the parrot and it was just led on the bottom of its cage.....didnt look good and died..

I will not have another bird in the house (unless she is blonde and 6ft tall with blue eyes) but i think i would go for a amazon rather then an african grey to be honest..

I have to say that I do not think that it is rite to keep birds in cages of all animals birds should be free to fly where they please to keep such wonderful things in a cage cannot be rite.

If you want a pet have the time to look after it properly get a dog cats are a wast of good fur most dogs could not survive without having people to look after them and in turn they they will give you love and be loyal.

If you must have a bird then get some chickens they have the advantage of giving eggs as well.

Agree with above

Know nothing about Parrots,but in one of the local towns near me there are Macaws(?Vivid colours of green,blue,red and yellow)flying about over the town most of the day.The look on the faces of tourists as they hear a loud screech and then look up to see these beautiful birds flying overhead is amusing.They apparently fly back to the owner each evening.Nice to see.