400yrd group size

Dougy

Here's a question for the long range shooters on PW,

What size group would you expect from your set up at say 400yds, the question came after i had some practice on paper at just a tad over 400 yesterday and was well dissapointed with the group size of 2". Am i expecting far too much from a 22.250 or would you be happy with the results ???

Before all the "Mr & Mrs perfects start having a dig i did say "practice on paper"

I did 2 groups one a 5 shot group and correct for wind, and actually over corrected, i guestimated a 5mph wind from 10 oclock and it worked out at only 2 mph, the other 3 shot without wind correction which actually pointed out the over compensation and put me 1.5 inches off centre as against 5 inches roughly when compensating for the stronger wind. There were actaully 2 shots touching :w00t: but i knew it wouldnt be my expert shooting, and i dont and wont ever claim i can get 0.18 group at 400yds :whistling:

I would be quite happy with a two inch group at 400 yards from any rifle. How many shots was it and how windy was it, even the slightest breeze will open things up a bit and you are talking Approximately 0.5 MOA even now which is the equivalent of a v-bull at f class. bear in mind group shooting and score shooting are very different things though, if you run your bolt very fast between wind changes you can put in a good group but not always in the correct location, correcting for the wind changes in slow fire puts them in the centre but not always in such a tiny group. I think the smallext 5 shot group i have witnessed at 500 yards was just over an inch for a 338 lap mag but I still beat the guy overall on the day because my 3 groups of between 2.5 and 3" were all fairly central for score but he got small group size.

As above, the difficult thing is placing the location of the group correctly. 1/2 moa is not to be sniffed at at 400

So what your saying is its pretty good to acceptable. i was thinking it was rubbish.

I was thinking about getting new brass anyway (12 months old and 5-6 firings) and getting anal on case prep to see if i can tighten it up a little more.

So what your saying is its pretty good to acceptable. i was thinking it was rubbish.

I was thinking about getting new brass anyway (12 months old and 5-6 firings) and getting anal on case prep to see if i can tighten it up a little more.

I should not change anything once a load shoots, if its averaging this and not just doing the odd fluke try taking it further out. 5-6 firings is pretty light use by many stds

That brass is not ready for the bin yet, full length size it, anneal the necks and shoot it another dozen times.

Thats excellent shooting in anyone's book. If this is a factory rifle please publicise the make and model as the manufacturer deserves a pat on the back.

A

Its a Sako 75/ 111 laminate, rebarrelled by Steve Kershaw using a Lothar Walther match heavy barrel 22",this was done in September 2010, i have'nt done much with it until just a few months ago, the scope is a Swaro 5-30x50Z6i bullets 55grn nosler varmint, powder 38grn H380, velocity 3875. (a bit fast but plan on dropping it a tad) CCI br primers Redding com dies.

Just waiting for Brock & Norris to finish another one ive had rebarreled, see if it shoots any better :good:

Its a Sako 75/ 111 laminate, rebarrelled by Steve Kershaw using a Lothar Walther match heavy barrel 22",this was done in September 2010, i have'nt done much with it until just a few months ago, the scope is a Swaro 5-30x50Z6i bullets 55grn nosler varmint, powder 38grn H380, velocity 3875. (a bit fast but plan on dropping it a tad) CCI br primers Redding com dies.

Just waiting for Brock & Norris to finish another one ive had rebarreled, see if it shoots any better :good:

Steve does do good work as do Brock and Norris. Even so 2 inches at 400 yards for a semi custom is good going.

A