Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you stop the thread now I`ll have to come and camp in your garden, wonderful thread, great skills, I`m jealous, I was an electrician in a former life, looking at this thread I wish I`d been a fitter turner, (bit late now) carry on, How about a video of the eventual launch and first shot.?

How about a video of the eventual launch and first shot.?

Yep... I hope to video both the test firing and the first 'live' shot. I have been trying to find a camera I can borrow or rent with a high frame rate so I can get some good slow motion shots...

And yes, I will of course post them :)

Yep... I hope to video both the test firing and the first 'live' shot. I have been trying to find a camera I can borrow or rent with a high frame rate so I can get some good slow motion shots...

And yes, I will of course post them :)

Try the guys that make Tru Shot they may be able to help that's got a good frame rate and you can watch it back in slow motion and see the shot ball hit!!!!

I didn't necessarily intend on stopping posting, I just don't want it to be one of those posts that keeps flashing up on people's accounts and it pee you all off!

Mate this has got to be one of the coolest most interesting threads on PW. The more it 'keeps flashing up' the better. Love following the progress of this project!

I'd love to see daily updates, as others have said this is probably the most interesting thread this forum has ever seen.

But I do understand that daily update are not possible, well not unless you give up working for a living.

I also wish it was easier to follow a thread on this forum, but no matter how many times I click the follow button along with

instant notification I never get an e-mail, and it doesn't stay watched for more than a few days before the forum decides I don't really want to know anymore.

Actually the forum software is the least user friendly, and most frustrating software I have ever come across.

Neil.

Thanks for the offer! Sounds interesting!!! Whats the wall thickness like?

Sorry for delay....will measure tomorrow. Wall thickness must be in excess of 12mm.

Thanks for the offer! Sounds interesting!!! Whats the wall thickness like?

Sorry for delay....will measure tomorrow. Wall thickness must be in excess of 12mm, if my memory serves me well. Got it from Wildman Bob Colley in 1992.

Sorry for delay....will measure tomorrow. Wall thickness must be in excess of 12mm.

Sorry for delay....will measure tomorrow. Wall thickness must be in excess of 12mm, if my memory serves me well. Got it from Wildman Bob Colley in 1992.

Thanks for getting back! Sounds like we might have a 4 bore coming up next!!!

I've only just got in from the workshop... :D

I spent quite a bit of time making a shelf for the bench grinder this evening and having a bit of a clear up.

Following the mundane stuff i got on with the machining! Once I got the grinder set up i made up a cutter to mill a radius in the corner to avoid stress points.

Then i set up and started the whole process again on the other side. I got it all roughed out tonight and i'll finish it tomorrow at some point.

Edited by Wildfowler

Not sure to be honest, i haven't really thought about it... It'll be done by mid next month as long as I don't have to travel with work too much. I still need to get the brass for the cartridges and a few more tools but I need to wait until pay day now, it shouldn't stop progress for the time being though.

just read from beginning to end... one of the best things i have read all the way through, youve done a great job and must say im impressed.... surely on a job like this it hasnt all been plain sailing.... whats the worst thing that hasnt gone according to plan? all the best steve

surely on a job like this it hasnt all been plain sailing.... whats the worst thing that hasnt gone according to plan?

There honestly haven't been any catastrophes, the most frustrating part was cutting the oak stem and stern blocks as it was so hard it ate tools, i got through 2 circular saw blades and a chainsaw chain.

The worst thing that hasn't gone to plan was the stringers which span between the frames of the punt. I tried to buy wood long enough to make them in one length but it cost a fortune so had to join them, i used a scarf joint which i cut using a home made jig. When i bent one of them around the frames the joint gave way (i hadn't let the glue dry long enough) so i had to cut a new one which was not a quick process. Also i had to cut a new frame as one of them wasn't quite up to scratch ar the top radius wasn't quite right (i think i cut the wrong side of the line on that one!) Other than that i managed to break my one and only ripper cutter yesterday when i was roughing out the action block. i ended up having to regrind it by had which is far from ideal but worked well enough.

My eldest son wanted to make something using the machines today so we had a bit of a machining lesson (obviously under VERY close supervision!)

We then got to a stage where we needed the mill so i had to finish off the action block. My son wanted to help with that too so we had a lesson on milling.