Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

My original intention was to have a dovetail joint between the breech plug and the cartridge, however my friend who used to have a similar setup said his used to jam and scor the cartridge as it twists on the way in and out due to the amount of powder blowing back. The gun he uses now has a flat breech plug and the cartridge has a small tapped hole in the head that you wind a tool into and pull it out. I respect his opinion A LOT so I'm doing the same on mine.

If I don't get on with it I'll modify the breech plug or when I make the next gun I'll use a similar design to the Holland and Holland breech plug (the cartridge extractor doesn't rotate as it follows two keyways which means the cartridge slides straight in and out)

Edited by Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I make the next gun...

Has your Memsahib read that?

I admire your determination to see things through.

She knows me well enough to know that this wont be the last! :)

Whilst determination is an element, i do genuinely enjoy making it so i quite look forward to the challenge of making another one. The next will have to be bigger or different in some way, else i won't have the same level of interest in it (unless i can make one and sell it of course!)

I still plan to make a double 8 or single 4 next as it poses a different set of issues to overcome. Then i'll look at a larger punt gun or maybe a double barrel punt gun, similar to the Holland and Holland ones. I fancy making a single punt too... so many years of fun to be had now iv'e got the tools!

Edited by Wildfowler

If you're planning on making more in the future then perhaps you could set up a website and carry some adverts, it would at least go some way to funding the projects as well as providing a great resource for wildfowlers.

Yeah i might well do that! I don't know what kind of revenue you can generate from adverts on a website?

Nope! I took a couple of days holiday at the end of last week and took my dad and 2 boys for a lads weekend in the New Forrest and have only just got back so no time on the punt gun.

I'll be back on it in the evenings this week though, 100% guarantee! I'm getting withdrawal symptoms! :)

I`ve watched this post from the start, I`m very jealous of your skills, both metal work , design and photography. I`ll be a bit sad when your finished, unless you do make others?

Thanks! Don't worry, it wont be long until the next project is underway! As long as i can finance it!

Here I am sat here contemplating getting off my *** to make my next batch of rhubarb, strawberry and ginger jam....

I hang my man head in shame....

Ps ill trade a jar for a shot...!

The jam does sound good but at between £30 and £50 per shot it would need to be ;)

I have been thinking though... i really wanted to get along to the charity shoot but couldn't make it so once everything is fully tested, etc i might donate an outing in the punt to the raffle or auction it off next year... i know it certainly isn't up everyones street but there have been a few posts on various threads about punt gunning being something that they really want to do.

What do you chaps reckon?

I got out there last night and made the closing pin.

This is a (very poor) shot of the pin being turned

The i made the closing thumb screw (the machinists will notice that the knurl isn't very good)

This isnt the final thumb screw as that will be made of stainless (awaiting arrival)

I didn't spend too much time making this one and part of it needed a skim so i put it back up in the lathe. I was't concentrating properly and jerked the tool, this was the result!

It ripped it out of the chuck! a small reminder not to take the pith!

so i knocked up another one and put it together