Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whereabouts are you on my phone I feel it deserves a pw launch ( bottle of merry down smashed on the side)

Knowing my luck it will go straight through the hull! I'm keeping her maiden voyage low key in case of any misdemeanors! :D

And in fairness she still isn't 100% complete but the tide is right for it this weekend and the bits that are not finished will go on her over the coming couple of weeks.

Once they are on and the name is put on the side im sure there will be a few more people come and see her go in.

I gelcoated the washboards first thing this morning. Unfortunately due to the cold weather it took ages to set so i didn't manage to paint the backs, hence not being ready for launch tomorrow...

I painted the inside of the fixed wash boards too.

Edited by Wildfowler

Are there no ends to you’re talents!?! I can’t believe you are making the trailer as well!

An amazing project! I have been watching a series on discovery called "dream boats" I know nothing about boats or anything slightly nautical but this thread has inspired me, I might make a canoe :hmm:

I wouldn't say i know anything about boats, i just wanted to build a punt so now i know this boat in particular... intimately :)

As for building one, all i can say is do it! i fancied building a canoe too... they are relatively cheap as you dont have the frames, etc but you get a great boat at the end...

Have you thought about using thole pin outriggers instead of wooden blocks?

With their greater width they enable the use of a significantly longer oar which gives far greater mechanical advantage when rowing.

Will you be using the RPG style of sculling oar mounting? They are in the wrong place since RPG himself could`nt scull.

Have you thought about using an offset iron sculling crutch which is far more effective.

Your quality of workmanship is truly outstanding.

I had thought about using outriggers but for the area i will use the punt, there is no real need to row a long distance so mechanical advantage is less important. More important for me is to have a compact, low profile craft that i can fit down extremely narrow gullies, so to have shorter oars suits my application well.

Have you posted any pics of your punt yet? How is your joint renovation project going?

I don`t know if you can make out some of the features I`ve mentioned.

An iron deck band which permits of a much shorter breaching rope with fixed forward gun rest. Cockpit mounted screw elevating gear, outriggers, with incidentally,oars that are too short. This punt will comfortably work an 8ft oar and the outriggers require some height adjustment

The sculling crutch is not yet fitted and I`ve got the black bottom line wrong although the punt is short of another crew member and an 11ft 130lb gun which should make everything sit nicely in the water.

The build quality of this punt in comparison to yours is dire, although we know it will work well in practice and, much to everyones amazement, it did`nt sink when we launched it.

I don`t know if you can make out some of the features I`ve mentioned.

An iron deck band which permits of a much shorter breaching rope with fixed forward gun rest. Cockpit mounted screw elevating gear, outriggers, with incidentally,oars that are too short. This punt will comfortably work an 8ft oar and the outriggers require some height adjustment

The sculling crutch is not yet fitted and I`ve got the black bottom line wrong although the punt is short of another crew member and an 11ft 130lb gun which should make everything sit nicely in the water.

The build quality of this punt in comparison to yours is dire, although we know it will work well in practice and, much to everyones amazement, it did`nt sink when we launched it.

Looks good in the pics... some close ups would be good. Why not start a thread?!?

This is how the trailer ended up as of last night.

This is it fully extended. It's not going to win any beauty competitions but its functional and didn't cost the £1000+ for a pre built one that is long enough...

The joint where the angled poles meet the main frame wasn't sturdy enough so i added some extra bracing. I will pop down and get some extra 8' poles and clamps on Monday to make it symmetrical. Fort the time being this works well, it will take my weight with ease at all points so will easily take the 40 - 50kg of punt spread across the entire length. I took it for a test run and it towed through the country lanes without any issue.

I've used small latches to secure them when they are up. I will put some rubber seals around them to make them fully water tight when up. All fittings and screws are solid brass or marine grade stainless to avoid corrosion.

Whilst i was working on the punt a blue-tit came for a visit.

I made the rowlock plates last night and fitted and finished them this morning.

My mate came round today to assist with the launch, he told me i have OCD as all of the screw heads are aligned (on these and the hinges) I'm not sure myself! :eh: :wacko: :crazy::D

This is it virtually complete but in need of a clean.

I took out the floor boards and swept it out, then used the mrs trusty dyson and then wiped it down with a damp cloth... and still there is dust! i'm sure once i get it on the trailer it will soon go.

With the floor boards

So now I need some name suggestions!

I made the rowlock plates last night and fitted and finished them this morning.

My mate came round today to assist with the launch, he told me i have OCD as all of the screw heads are aligned (on these and the hinges) I'm not sure myself! :eh: :wacko: :crazy::D

This is it virtually complete but in need of a clean.

I took out the floor boards and swept it out, then used the mrs trusty dyson and then wiped it down with a damp cloth... and still there is dust! i'm sure once i get it on the trailer it will soon go.

With the floor boards

So now I need some name suggestions!

Edited by la bala

amazing topic, look forward to seeing the launch and maiden voyage. what do they say, god bless all who sail in her. :good:

The maiden voyage was planned for today. High tide was at 14:00, i had planned to get there for 12:30 so i had some time to play about. at about 11:00 the wind started to get up, my mate popped down to the launch site and it was choppy and blowing hard straight down the creek out to sea, so far from ideal for a first dip in the water. at about 15:30 the wind died down, just as it was too late to load up and get launched. I was massively pi**ed off! all good things come to those who wait i suppose, and it certainly isn't worth rushing it a cocking things up!

Maybe tomorrow...

On a practical note, Col. Hawker recommended the use of a sheeps fleece on the floor of the punt which made the hard,cold,wet floor boards far more comfortable to lay upon.

Traditionally, and don`t laugh, as a continuation of this our punts are carpeted inside. The difference it makes to your comfort is quite amazing and it kills all the box like echo you get whenever you move about. Quite important when you`re actually stalking birds.

Different areas have different traditions. Down here, punts are never named but are usually referred to by the name of the builder. Considering that a punt might last a hundred years, ours is seventy years old, it ensures that the name of the builder lives on as testement to his handiwork.