Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've made a fantastic job of the punt, well done,

I think your mate was right, you must have OCD, getting all those screw heads in the same position !

Yeah... seeing as you are the 'mate' that said it, you would!!! :lol:

But as you are one of the few people to have seen it in the flesh, thanks for your comments!

A rather apt name, noting your wife's passion, could well be "Hippocampus" the mythological sea horse.

I thought Hippocampus was the scientific name? :hmm: anyway, i like the idea of mythical or real sea creatures...

maybe Cetus... latin for sea creature, originally translated from the greek word ketos meaning sea monster. Cetus is also a constelation... :hmm:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the first to admit, i've been a bit slack on the punt recently. Work has been bonkers and i've had to spend a lot of time over seas so at the weekends i've just been fowling and spending as much time with my boys as possible. Over the past few weeks ive grabbed an hour here and there.

This is the rubber seal i've fitted around the wash board hatches to make them completely water tight. I'll replace it with a grey one if i can find it...

I have finished fitting the hinges and bolts on the hatches too.

yeah, i had a spell not so long ago where i was traveling a lot but that quietened down when i changed role but it seems to have gone bonkers again! They're not even nice places to visit! Finland last week, milan the week before and Moscow this week! GREAT! :no:

Anyway, I've had a major rethink on the gun though!!! Is an engineering company going to take as much care over it as i would???

For the money that i would have to pay an engineering company to make the gun, to essentially do something i'm quite capable of doing myself given the right tools, i might as well put a bit more cash with it and get the right tool! So the mrs has given the go ahead to get a lathe! This way i can make the gun myself to my own requirements and own picky standards. I know how that sounds! and i'm not saying i will definitely make a better job of it, but once i have the lathe i can make the cartridges, replacement components, etc and i can also make some more 8 bore cartridges... I'm also thinking about making a second gun, proofing it and maybe selling it??? not sure yet...

So now i'm on the look out for a reasonable Colchester Triumph... Preferable with DRO and QCTP so if anyone knows of one please let me know!

I don't know how I've only just seen this but very impressed! The boat house as well!

I've got a friend that's 'doing up' an old punt at the moment. I'll have to show him this. Something I'd love to do.

Now I don't wish to detract from the thread so pm if you know the answer. But I assume you'd go out with the punt for geese before they fly off the river/bay in the morning? Surely that's going to disturb the roost/upset a lot of folk waiting at the sea wall?

Again PM if you like and hugely impressed :good:

On my marsh it isn't too much of an issue as there are only about 10 fowlers who consistently go fowling. Also I'm the marsh 'warden' so if anyone wants to go out they all let me know where and when, so I can actively avoid them.

Similarly, down south we don't have a lot of fowlers on the sea wall as all the land is privately owned and shooting is restricted, unlike up in Scotland, so again this is less if an issue. I can't imagine that the number of outings and indeed shots that I have will affect anyone else.

Infact there are 2 other punt gunners in my area, one of which does shoot my area of marsh and he only had one shot last season in my area...

Edited by Wildfowler

• 1 month later...

On my marsh it isn't too much of an issue as there are only about 10 fowlers who consistently go fowling. Also I'm the marsh 'warden' so if anyone wants to go out they all let me know where and when, so I can actively avoid them.

Similarly, down south we don't have a lot of fowlers on the sea wall as all the land is privately owned and shooting is restricted, unlike up in Scotland, so again this is less if an issue. I can't imagine that the number of outings and indeed shots that I have will affect anyone else.

Infact there are 2 other punt gunners in my area, one of which does shoot my area of marsh and he only had one shot last season in my area...

Hat off to you so far Wildfowler!

Its been a fantastic read upto now, cant wait to see the finished product. I been a keen wildfowler for some time now and strangely enough was approached recently to team up to build one of these fantastic crafts. After seeing whats possible, I'm now very interested in making this happen. Ive been looking around for some ideas as you did when you started this adventure, and was wondering if you was willing to help with the design? I believe i have the tools and the space and time, just need some direction on the how?

One of my brothers is an engineer too, hes out of the country most of the time but im sure hell help with the gun parts in the near future.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Anth6568

I hope that you'll post a photo of the gun and punt firing, when it's completed.

I assume that it'd look something like this:

http://www.cityofart.net/bship/hms_royals_1915_firing.jpg

Regards,

Mark.

:) yeah, as soon as I get it sorted! I'll try and load progress pics of the gun build too!

I was gutted, I missed a suitable lathe on the well know auction site just before Christmas! It only fetched £1780 but was worth a lot more! Ironically I only missed it cos I was out fowling!!! :)

Edited by Wildfowler

Great job, I'm impressed. When I imagine it with the gun attached I think "Bismark".

On the subject of the gun, is that trigger a tested design ?

Tested in terms of 3d modelled and the mechanics work when simulated and I have prototyped a very similar design for a different project in the past.

The design is also very similar but not identical to another punt gun that I have seen...

As I now plan to make the entire thing myself I will redesign it to suit the tools I have access to but fundamentally the release mechanism will remain the same.

Out of interest, what makes you ask?