Unsuitable Referee

Applied for my FAC a couple of weeks ago, couldn't see that there would be any issues as i've held a SGC for over 35 years, plenty of land and two upstanding members of the community as referees.

Well the cheque was cashed ASAP then two weeks later I recieve a letter from TVP informing me that one of the referees is "unsuitable" and I need to find another - they even included a new application form with high lighted areas for my new referee to complete.

As you can imagine I was on the phone to the Firearms Dept PDQ - the lady on the phone explained that she was "not permitted" to inform me which referee was unsuitable or why. As I was unhappy to accept this she advised that I e mail the dept. and ask a senior officer to reply with who & why - as yet no reply. She also admitted that the FEO had not seen my application so the decision must have been made during the basic checks.

So now I am going to have two difficult conversations with my referees. One is a County Council member and the other a local arable/dairy farmer (2500+ acres) where I already shoot pigeons (he already holds SGC & an FAC). I would guess that both will be making enquiries to the Firearms Dept about being deemed unsuitable.

Now I do have an option for another referee but I don't think I will be going down that road yet. At the moment I am going to see this through and find out what the problem is.

Yes I do have an idea what the problem may be and yes I do have more info. than I've given in this post but it's private and concerns other people so not for this post. It is my believe that the firearms have made an error here - we shall see.

Damned if I'll give this up.

OXF

Edited by oxfordfowler

just get on with it and get the other referee sorted, you won't win this one in a hurry and they may well still not tell you who or why due to data protection. Some things are worth fighting but in this case it isn't because its not down to anything to do with you, one of your referees has something in their past and thats it done and dusted.

A few random thoughts.

It’s possible that the councillor has a criminal record buried in his past.

Perhaps the farmer has a licence to trade firearms that makes him unsuitable.

Maybe the fact you shoot on his land gives him a vested interest in getting you a licence so he’s not suitable.

Perhaps the councillor is on some official secrets list which means the police aren’t allowed to do a CRB on him.

Maybe one of them has severe depression.

It could be a relatively innocent reason why one is unsuitable.

I don't really see what business it is of yours why they are deemed unsuitable. It would be different if it was you that was said to be unsuitable.

You say you already know what the problem is, so either tell us or just let it go (let it go sounds best)

You are applying for a FAC, that's all. It isn't a Cook Report episode. :)

I think one of the issues is that he doesn't know which one of the referees is the "unsuitable" one?

..but he has said;

Yes I do have an idea what the problem may be and yes I do have more info. than I've given in this post but it's private and concerns other people so not for this post

So I imagine he has an inkling over which one it is. Just use another referee and get your licence back. It's not you that has flagged up, it is one of them. So surely it's up to that person to investigate why... not you, Columbo :) It's not really your fight is it?!? Why risk causing more hassle for yourself?

On a lighthearted note - never trust a councillor or politician :)

Edited by huffhuff

Good luck can't see a referee being overly happy if they didn't tell you they probably don't want you to know perhaps they are an undercover copper! The qualifications to act as referee are vague and it varies between forces. If you really want to push it contact the liscencing manager in writing and copy in the guidance paragraph on suitable referees. You would probably need to check with the referees and get them both to write in asking if they are suitable and if not why not.

If in your shoes and I wanted the licence granted before next easter I would re-apply with a new referee.......replacing the one you seem to know is the issue.There are times to swim against the tide but I do not think it will get you too far in this situation...

While I can imagine you aren't happy and want to win this, I think you'd be far better putting down another referee and getting your application on it's way.

There could be a few reasons why one of them is unsuitable, (though it sounds like you've an idea of who and why). I'd have thought that they might be breaking some data protection stuff by telling you who is unsuitable and why - at the very least finding out and persuading them to allow them is going to be hard and unlikely to happen.

Just get your application on it's way, the process is long enough without causing delays because of the 'I'm right and your wrong, and I'm going to prove it approach'. Just get your certificate, then if you must take it up with them do so when it's not delaying your shooting.

Thanks for the comments so far on this. Interesting the different slants taken by the posts.

I know I'm not "Columbo" and yes I do understand that the problem is with one of the referees.

Trouble is that I live in this village as do the referees, both of whom I have known for many years. One of them counter signed my SCG and my passport renewals a couple of years ago - no problem. The other signed off another guys FAC renewal only last month.

I have been to see both and both were very surprised and I expect that they will be making representations on there own behalf in the very near furture. I did have an idea where the problem might be however, like I said, in this case the Firearms dept have made a mistake and the referee concerned is hopping mad about it.

We shall see what happens.

OXF

I think you might be wrong here, on previous shotgun certificate renewals, I have used my neighbours, one a BT employee the other a retired engineer

supersport

http://www.westmercia.police.uk/application-forms/who-can-be-a-countersignatory.html

Who Can be a Countersignatory?

Below is a list of people who are considered acceptable to act as countersignatories. The list, though comprehensive, is not exhaustive:

• Member of Parliament (including retired)
  • Justice of the Peace (including retired)
  • Minister of Religion
  • Doctor / nurse
  • Lawyer / solicitor (including retired
  • Bank officer / manager (including retired)
  • Officer in Her Majesty's Service - except serving police officers and police staff
  • Legal executive
  • Stockbroker
  • Postmaster / postmistress (including retired)
  • Fire official
  • Customs officer (Executive Officer and above)
  • Building society manager
  • Councillor
  • Dentist (including retired)
  • Optician
  • Civil servant (Executive Officer and above)
  • Local government officer
  • Accountant
  • Civil engineer (qualified)
  • Surveyor
  • Architect
  • Head teacher / teacher (including retired)
  • Chiropodist
  • Farmer (landowner)

Well would you believe it :hmm: :hmm:

Didn't take long for the Firearms Dept to change thier minds.

Just had an e mail from one of the senior officers - "Both of my referees will now be accepted" the firearms officer will be contacting me to continue with the application :good: :good:

Result

OXF

I think you might be wrong here, on previous shotgun certificate renewals, I have used my neighbours, one a BT employee the other a retired engineer

supersport

agree, i had a fellow sgc holder do mine, for sgc and fac

Edited by landrover

supersport

http://www.westmerci...rsignatory.html

Who Can be a Countersignatory?

Below is a list of people who are considered acceptable to act as countersignatories. The list, though comprehensive, is not exhaustive:

• Member of Parliament (including retired)
  • Justice of the Peace (including retired)
  • Minister of Religion
  • Doctor / nurse
  • Lawyer / solicitor (including retired
  • Bank officer / manager (including retired)
  • Officer in Her Majesty's Service - except serving police officers and police staff
  • Legal executive
  • Stockbroker
  • Postmaster / postmistress (including retired)
  • Fire official
  • Customs officer (Executive Officer and above)
  • Building society manager
  • Councillor
  • Dentist (including retired)
  • Optician
  • Civil servant (Executive Officer and above)
  • Local government officer
  • Accountant
  • Civil engineer (qualified)
  • Surveyor
  • Architect
  • Head teacher / teacher (including retired)
  • Chiropodist
  • Farmer (landowner)

The Home office guidance for FAC referees is different:

http://www.homeoffic...pdf?view=Binary Page 50 (pdf) Chapter 10

Referees

10.7 A referee may be of any background or occupation. A referee must be of good character, whom the police may trust to give

honest replies to the questions contained on the referee form (the referee is not required to guarantee the applicant’s good behaviour).

10.8 Members of the applicant’s family may not act as referees. In the absence of a Court ruling, family is taken to mean the

following: mother; father; son; daughter; sister; brother; aunt; uncle; grand parent and mother/father/sister/brother in law. Cousins

are not regarded as immediate family but cohabiting partners should be considered as “family” for these purposes and not be

accepted. Serving police officers, police civilian employees and registered firearms dealers (but see paragraph 10.9) may not

act as referees.

10.9 If the chief officer of police is satisfied under section 44 of the 1997 Act that the application is for the renewal of a firearm

certificate in relation to a rifle or muzzleloading pistol for use only for target shooting, one of the referees must be an

official of the approved rifle or muzzleloading pistol club specified in the application. In these circumstances, the

referee may be a registered firearms dealer and need not have known the applicant personally for at least two years. The other

referee must satisfy the requirements of paragraph 10.6( B) above and must not be a member of any target-shooting club.

10.10 The referees are required to verify that the information given in questions 1 to 16 of form 101 is correct. The applicant should

complete all questions before asking the referees to verify the information concerned. The referees must endorse one of the

photographs in the manner given in the notes to Part D on page 4 of the application form and thereafter sign the endorsement.

10.11 The police should provide two copies of the Reference Form (form 125) and the applicant should give one to each of their

referees, after having completed Part A. The form includes instructions as to how the referees should complete the form, and the

criteria for the referees when considering the applicant’s fitness to possess firearms. The completed form 125 must be sent directly by

the referee to police headquarters, firearms licensing department. The full postal address of the firearms licensing department should

be included with the referee form, although as a matter of best practice forces may want to provide a pre-addressed envelope with

the form.

Edited by HDAV