Posting venison/meat

gixer1

Bit of an odd question but if I wanted to send someone some venision (roe haunches etc.) how do you go about posting it? can you post meat? and if so what do you reckon would be the best way of sending it? Ice would obviously be water by the time it got there and i would be worried about just sending it as is.

Regards,

Gixer

I had some meat delivered in the past standard courier in a polystyrene well insulated box and everything inside was vacuum packed with an ice block and it seems flash frozen first. Next day delivery obviously and hope its not too warm and gets delivered early at a guess

I had some meat delivered in the past standard courier in a polystyrene well insulated box and everything inside was vacuum packed with an ice block and it seems flash frozen first. Next day delivery obviously and hope its not too warm and gets delivered early at a guess

spot on i used to send salt fish and smoked salmon up and down the country by next day courier same way

Alex,

Excuse my ignorance but was the ice block vacuum sealed in with the meat?? or just ice around the vacuum packaging? also, what are the laws on dry ice inside the box? that way the water isn't an issue as there is none...

Regards,

Gixer

depends on what it is packed in, my wifes work has boxes of trout eggs delivered from Denmark, last year 6 boxes (600,000 eggs!) went astray ending up in a German warehouse for 2 days in the middle of summer, they were eventually redirected to Manchester and picked up, upon opening it was found the the edges had started to melt but the middle was still on ice (packed layers of crushed ice and eggs) the eggs were split in development but hatched OK

they use a polystyrene box about 2 inch thick with polystyrene segments to create layers, all excess space if filled with crushed ice and the eggs are live so not frozen!

would be heavy to send tho!

As said large polystyrene box,vac pack, chill to +2,(it does not have to be froze)or about, place ice packs, seal wrap and post next day or same day. Post marked as perishable goods :good: we used to post meat from butchers on the odd occasion some time back.

I am sure I have seen beef ,pork and lamb advertised in magazines , but perhaps these firms use couriers instead of the Post Office. As a little aside, in the days of my youth, thats a long time ago we had day old chicks delivered live and chirping by the bicycle powered post man.

Blackpowder

These people manage it http://www.donaldrus...delivery-policy

http://www.parcelforce.com/help-information/sending-advice/prohibitions-and-restrictions

Perishable foodstuffs and articles

Fresh fruit, meat, fish and other perishable articles should be able to withstand transit times of at least 48 hours and must be sent by guaranteed next day service as a minimum requirement within the UK . Packages must be clearly labelled "PERISHABLE". Packages of fish should be smoked or chilled, and sealed in vacuum packs before consignment. In all cases they must be enclosed in adequate polystyrene containment to prevent contamination. It is the responsibility of the shipper to package all perishable articles in such a manner that during transport within the system the contents are kept at an appropriate temperature that is unlikely to give rise to a risk to health.

Edited by HDAV

Polystyrene box, inside a cardboard box. ice duvet on base, pre-chilled meat, vacuum packed, ice duvet on top. Tape seal poly box, place in cardboard box, seal and label as perishable.

There must be no possibility of water, blood or other liquid escaping.

Look on Google for the ice duvets. Most butchers have vaccum packers and may do that bit for a few quid.

The ice duvets are like quilted foil and plastic filled with water. We sent processed game and venison out in them and safe for 72 hours.

Parcel Farce or other carriers, not general post.