how do you store your gun when its wet

kiffy

Hi guys, just wondering how you go about storing your gun after you've got it wet. I know putting it away wet isnt the answer and have dried mine of well. I have then rubbed it over with some general gun oil that i have had here for years,

but im wondering what you guys use? is it worth me getting a cloth and soaking it in oil, keeping it by mu gun safe and just giving it a quick wipe each time i put it away?

Edited by kiffy

If I'm in a hurry I run an oily rag over all the outside, then spray some GT40 down the barrel and mechanism.

Importantly I store the gun In the cabinet on its barrel so any excess oil will run down the barrel and not into the wooden stock.

Cos

I store the gun In the cabinet on its barrel so any excess oil will run down the barrel and not into the wooden stock.

oh i never thought of that, nice idea :good:

I think the answer is.... As far as possible, never store a gun wet!

i dont plan on it, just happens that two of the three times ive been out with my new gun irs rained, i dried it as well as i could and let it out of the safe for a couple of hours to dry first, i just wondered how others did it and what oils/chemicals they used

Edited by kiffy

If I have been out after ducks and get home late I give it a good wipe over with a handful of soft obsorbant paper, Andrex loo roll, spray with WD40 then leave it overnight in a warm room and clean the next day. Dont be tempted to put a wet / damp gun in a gun slip & then drive an hour or so home in a warm car; you will find rust spots already starting.

I carry a kitchen roll in the car and WD40; if everything is soaked I give it a wipe down before setting off for home. Dont pay to much attention to the old wives tale about WD40 taking the blacking off, Ive used it on all my guns from Brownings through to an English sidelock and never had a problem. If WD40 takes it off, it wasnt done right in the first place !

Before putting it back in its slip I wipe it down as best as poss' with a rag and some WD40 and then strip it down asap when back home,give it another wipe down,clean/dry it thoroughly(except the bores,which are left clean but with a thin sheen of solvent in them)and then always stored muzzles down in my cabinet.The slip is thrown over a radiator to dry.

Don't buy swatches;a single sheet of kitchen roll wrapped around your jag will fit very nicely indeed down a 12 bore barrel.

Never store your guns wet.

Edited by Scully

only use WD40 as a water displacement don't leave it on your guns for more than 24 hours ,it can rust them to hell ,make sure you wipe it off then oil it ,if iam in a rush i tend to wipe with kitchen roll ,and i use BRUNOX TURBO SPRAY as spray gets in all the nooks and cranny's ,then next day total strip down,took mine out on sat afternoon , didn't clean till 3pm Sunday and there was the brown stuff starting to appear on the worked parts of the gun ,mind you i was in that thunder storm for 2 hours and it was helling down ,if its been a cold day but no rain i get it out the slip and strip it down and let get to room temp as the metal will condensate as soon as it gets into a warm room ,leave for a good hour the clean and put away

Strip it and wipe it down with a WD40 soaked cloth, metal bits into the airing cupboard for couple of hours then out and a pull through /wipe over with a gun oil impregnated cloth.

I then leave it stripped and put it into the cabinet for a day before reassembling. My cabinet is within the house and doesn't suffer from damp or condensation issues though.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Hi guys, just wondering how you go about storing your gun after you've got it wet. I know putting it away wet isnt the answer and have dried mine of well. I have then rubbed it over with some general gun oil that i have had here for years,

but im wondering what you guys use? is it worth me getting a cloth and soaking it in oil, keeping it by mu gun safe and just giving it a quick wipe each time i put it away?

Dry it externally with chamois and paper towel. Let it come fully to room temprature so all condensation that will occur inside the bore does, then dry patch the bore and put an oiled patch through. all my rifles are stored with an oiled patch through them these days regardless, with longer storage periods i also do the chamber and use a thicker oil on both areas. Externally a very light oil is sometimes applied sparingly. Shotguns get similar but in saltwater situations the get rinsed before anything else as oil trapping salt is a very bad thing.

wet slings etc are always removed as they carry moisture into the safe

Water gets everywhere. I mainly use a Beretta 687.

I break it down into the three major parts. Then strip the ejectors out, dry the lot as best as I can with kitchen towls etc. Then leave to dry for 12 hours at least. Re oil, re assemble and put away. Recheck after 24 hours and 48 hours.

Rifles I try not to get wet, if they do then its stock out of the stock, wipe over and leave to dry, re oil, re assemble and put away. Rifle will want re zeroing before use.

A

Edited by Alycidon

After breaking the gun down I leave the parts to dry either by the fire or a radiator, I never use oli if the gun's still wet. The oil can trap moisture and cause rusting.

After the gun's dry I will clean the parts and then when Im satisfied I will oil it.

By pure luck the hot water piping run underneath the floorboards directly under where I installed the cabinet so it's constantly above room temprature in there. The warmth combined with a few bags os slicone gel ensures that My guns neveir get rusty.

WD-40 can damage the blueing and I had also heard it can also eat away at the solder holding the rib on etc.

I only EVER use WD-40 as a bore cleaning agent and nothing more. I use light oils such as 3in1 for oiling the barrel.

Yeah, I've heard that one too but have never yet come across anyone who has damaged their gun using WD40.

I use it as a water dispersant which is what it's designed for, and bore cleaner for which it works well. I've never had any issues but I do wipe it all down and then wipe over with 3-in1 as well as doing a final pull through with gun oil, when that runs out it will be 3-in-1 in the barrel as well.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that all of the expensive cleaners are an unnecessary expense.

Bore cleaner eh?

Thats handy to know, I've just ran out and there's always a tin of WD40 in the shed :good:

Cheers for that, tip of the day mate.

Yeah, seems to work well.

A quick spray up both ends, quick bronze brush round to evenly spread it, leave it 10 minutes, brush it a bit more throughly (I use a cordless drill on the rod at a slow speed) dry patch it out, then an oiled pull though, done. I'm a sod for cleaning guns too, the o/u gets done probably every 4 clay shoots, so that's 300 shells betwen cleans

I think the statement "WD-40 is Hygroscopic" is a myth...

Ive never found one scrap of evidence to support this - the product is described as water displacing, not water attracting or absorbing by its manufacturers.

Its just one of those sayings that was said once by someone and was passed on as the truth by someone else and so on... until it was written enough times that to the casual researcher it seems like a fact. There is 1000 x more of this miss information on the internet than there is cold hard provable fact.

I think the statement "WD-40 is Hygroscopic" is a myth...

Ive never found one scrap of evidence to support this - the product is described as water displacing, not water attracting or absorbing by its manufacturers.

Its just one of those sayings that was said once by someone and was passed on as the truth by someone else and so on... until it was written enough times that to the casual researcher it seems like a fact. There is 1000 x more of this miss information on the internet than there is cold hard provable fact.

Carry on using it then :hmm::no: