Todays Poll in Daily Mail "defend your property"

DSPUK

so 5 % of daily mail readers are ***** thats interesting.the other 95% are hoping they dont get a visit from innocent ramblers looking for a lost dag in theyre front room at 3 am .wot happened to an englishmans home is his castle its good to see the majority agreeing that you should be able to defend your family and home from verminous scum.but when are they going to remove the problem and make all trespass a criminal offence ,its not a civil case 4 toerags inbreak into your property its a crime simples.soon as they cross your boundry its 999 time and if they keep coming you should be able to protect what is near and dear to you without fear of prosecution but please dont use it as an excuse to bladder some1

I thought you were already allowed to use reasonable force to defend your self and your property. :hmm:

Yup,but the devil is in the detail:and your version of "reasonable"if you are put under pressure at 3 a.m. may not look so reasonable under cross examination in court whatever the rights & wrongs of it.

Yup,but the devil is in the detail:and your version of "reasonable"if you are put under pressure at 3 a.m. may not look so reasonable under cross examination in court whatever the rights & wrongs of it.

What other way can it be. You can kill someone that brakes into your house and there be no investigation. ?

It sems the whole of British Law is bedevilled with the word 'reasonable', which is ridiculously subjective. As far as I'm concerned, if someone is trying to break into your home when you are inside, then your life, or physical well-being is in danger. Judges pronouncing on these cases always use the word 'proportionate' to describe the amount of force needed to repel the intruders--ie, if someone attacks you with a knife, you can respond with a cricket bat, but not a flame=thrower, or machine gun. If there is more than one person attempting to enter your house in your presence I believe the use of any firearm is acceptable.

In the Leicester case one man and one woman were up against four, presumably, men. Even if the householders had a knife and a cricket bat, they were outnumbered. If I was judge, jury, or prosecutor I would maintain that the use of a shotgun was reasonable and proprtionate. They should walk free and the matter should not be involved in any decision over the SGC holder's future suitability to own a shotgun, or any other firearm.

It sems the whole of British Law is bedevilled with the word 'reasonable', which is ridiculously subjective. As far as I'm concerned, if someone is trying to break into your home when you are inside, then your life, or physical well-being is in danger. Judges pronouncing on these cases always use the word 'proportionate' to describe the amount of force needed to repel the intruders--ie, if someone attacks you with a knife, you can respond with a cricket bat, but not a flame=thrower, or machine gun. If there is more than one person attempting to enter your house in your presence I believe the use of any firearm is acceptable.

In the Leicester case one man and one woman were up against four, presumably, men. Even if the householders had a knife and a cricket bat, they were outnumbered. If I was judge, jury, or prosecutor I would maintain that the use of a shotgun was reasonable and proprtionate. They should walk free and the matter should not be involved in any decision over the SGC holder's future suitability to own a shotgun, or any other firearm.

Agreed! :good: - surely they look at the home owners past - it's fair to say if he has never had any real involvment with or been in trouble with the police then he is not a "gun toting looney" - in my opinion if you set foot on someones property with the intent to do harm you are fair game - although the person firing the gun should be accountable if it is proven that the person was a girl guide selling boxes of chocolates etc or a person asking for directions.

it would also be good practice to not go to persons private residenced between 11pm and 4am - usually if someone is skulking around a house at this time they are up to no good!

Regards,

Gixer

or broken down locally or occasionally as I find myself delivering documents late.

The simple facts are if they were outside trying to get in it wasn't self defence and he could have put a warning shot into the ground and they would have cleared off. If they were inside its a different matter we shall see, but it also smacks of having the gun by the bed incase as lets face it nailing them outside doesn't sound like they had time to get the gun out of the safe etc. They were held for 3 days which doesn't sound good for them, its a hard one you want to be pro self defence and the law is clear that you can if the right criteria are met but this increasingly sounds like it has more to it.

or broken down locally or occasionally as I find myself delivering documents late.

The simple facts are if they were outside trying to get in it wasn't self defence and he could have put a warning shot into the ground and they would have cleared off. If they were inside its a different matter we shall see, but it also smacks of having the gun by the bed incase as lets face it nailing them outside doesn't sound like they had time to get the gun out of the safe etc. They were held for 3 days which doesn't sound good for them, its a hard one you want to be pro self defence and the law is clear that you can if the right criteria are met but this increasingly sounds like it has more to it.

Alex,

I have documents delivered continualy and have never ever seen anyone trying to deliver these after 11pm or before 4am - can you honestly say this is common? and breaking down? nowadays how many people go to a house? nearly everyone has a mobile phone an coverage is rarely a problem in the UK...

I would also argue someone trying to get in is self defence - are they trying to get in to harm you and your family? who knows! once they are in it's too late - castles dont have defences on the inside - they have it on the outside! one the attackers are inside it could be too late.

the whack job liberals have our laws standing on thier heads to the point where people are in fear of even defending thier family and home! how ridiculous is that!!!

I would hate to have to shoot someone but if it was a choice of my family or them?...BANG! as long as it is found to be a criminal i'll dance a jig as the police lead me off to prison. :good:

having been robbed in a previous house I can say it puts severe strain on a person and thier family, my wife did not settle - ever - in that house again and it was known to be a reletively good area!

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Alex,

I have documents delivered continualy and have never ever seen anyone trying to deliver these after 11pm or before 4am - can you honestly say this is common? and breaking down? nowadays how many people go to a house? nearly everyone has a mobile phone an coverage is rarely a problem in the UK...

I would also argue someone trying to get in is self defence - are they trying to get in to harm you and your family? who knows! once they are in it's too late - castles dont have defences on the inside - they have it on the outside! one the attackers are inside it could be too late.

the whack job liberals have our laws standing on thier heads to the point where people are in fear of even defending thier family and home! how ridiculous is that!!!

I would hate to have to shoot someone but if it was a choice of my family or them?...BANG! as long as it is found to be a criminal i'll dance a jig as the police lead me off to prison. :good:

having been robbed in a previous house I can say it puts severe strain on a person and thier family, my wife did not settle - ever - in that house again and it was known to be a reletively good area!

Regards,

Gixer

you'd be surprised we do legal documents and fairly regularly these go to remote smart houses late god forbid getting the wrong house and getting shot knocking on the door :no: same as remote not necessarily meaning good mobile signal so the potential is there for someone late to need a phone.

Its fairly irrelevant as most intruders don't break into a house that is occupied and the occupier is awake as they don't go looking for a fight unless there is something of proper value there. I'd still suggest while they are outside they aren't a true threat but once inside and challenged that would make them fair game and its far from too late.

This story has miles to go when more comes out till then its speculation but its sure got the trigger happy fraternity excited.