Buying Guns at game fairs

solz

hey, bit of a noobie question but id rather have some good advice and looking silly than not have any advice at all.

hopefully my SGC will arrive before the midlands game fair, so if it does i would be going to look for a gun at the fair, but have a few questions about buying at a show.

firstly will they accept card payments at the show? i have herd there are cash machines on site but don't fancy walking around with £500 ish in my pocket (that's my budget for a gun)

also is it advisable buying from stands? or is it best to find stands that are from close to where i live and then visit the shop afterwards( possible to get a bit more advice from their shop rather than their stand?)

if you buy a gun form a stand can you take it home with you that day? or do they send it to ur local RFD?

finally i have never brought i gun before so what is the process of buying guns (this is the really silly question) obv have to have my SGC with me, am i right in thinking i will get a receipt for the gun? and am i able to claim the VAT back? i am VAT registered

once again sorry if it seems sill asking all this but like i said i would like to get it right :)

thx solz

ps this is all based on my SGC arriving, and the show being on lol, if not then i will still go for a look around.

Never been to a show, first thing I would do is go around your local gun shops to see which gun/s you are interested in and if you can try them out.Check out their prices and also look on the like of gun trader for prices again.

One reason I choose to buy loacally is they are on the door step if you need help, theres no problem in shipping the gun back to your local shop. If you buy from a show and they are from far a field and you have problems think about how you are going to get it back to them.

Supporting your local also keeps the in businees (assuming they are good gun shops) and enables you to continue getting supplies. You build up a good relationship with them and expert free help and advice when needed.

Some times at shows there are probally some good offers / deals that are too good to miss, that one has to take advantage of.

Yes they will accept card payments

I've bought guns from stands and been pleased with my purchases but as always caveat emptor

If you have your certificate with you and an open slot if it's a Section 1, then yes you can take it home on the day.

You will get a receipt if you buy from a company. VAT wise, provided they are registered and you can justify it with HMRC then the VAT on the gun is no different than any other purchase - provided it's for business use of course ;)

On my last VAT inspection they didn`t` think I could claim the VAT back on my pickup, telling me they would check it out and let me know. Had to eat humble pie and rang me to say it was OK. I wouldn`t` attempt to claim it back on a gun unless it was in connection with my occupation.

Traders do take cards but I agree with the poster who said better to buy local in case of problems.

Bill

[will get a receipt for the gun? and am i able to claim the VAT back? i am VAT registered

If your business buys the gun and it can be legitimately prooved that the gun is used within the business then yes you could claim the VAT back. For this you would need to be a professional pest controller or similar whose main income comes from the business.

Even if the above is legit if the invoice is made out to you as opposed to the VAT registered concern then no you cant claim it back.

A

If it is a second hand gun you can reclaim the VAT, providing all other requirements are met such as legitimate business use etc. ONLY on the margin between the suppliers buying in cost and the selling price.

The invoice must show both figures and state it is issued under a margins scheme.

So a 500 quid gun, possibly a 50 to 100 quid margin divide by 1.2 and claim back between 10 and 20 quid. I really wouldnt bother tempting HMRC to look at things for the sake of a tenner.

howdy solz have bought from fairs am going to midland myself to check out 28g models,you can take them home with you,they will take your bank card as well,down side if you buy new and there,s any problems, shipping to them would be a ball ache,if its used it will only have warranty for 3 months i think so thats ok,what i,m gonna do is check out what feels right an then buy it from my local gunshop.regards john.

I've bought a couple from gamefairs,but the same priciples apply as they do when buying from your local dealer,the only difference being that if you have to return it for any reason the cost of carriage is met by the dealer who sold you it.Avalon do this I believe.

If it hasn't already been said;don't forget to take a slip,or ask the dealer to throw one in.

Buying from fairs/trade shows etc has the same risks as anywhere, but with the added component of "bargain madness" - you think you have seen a bargain in amongst the mass of stands and the chance of an unwise impulse buy rises higher than when you visit shops individually. Added to that is the potential distance of the dealer after the show is over. It is also easier to miss defects on a gun, when you are surrounded and squashed in a half dark marquee/hall with a thousand other people after the same bargains. I nearly bought a lovely Beretta, but at the last minute of taking it up to the till to pay for it (where the lighting was better), I saw a whacking great dent and scratch, halfway down the rib!

Take some time before you go, have a loose idea of what you want, try a few mates guns for fit if you can. Look at the shop prices on the Internet and in a few of the mags, and write down a list of guns and approx second- hand values to take with you so you can refer to it if you need to. REALLY inspect the gun well, a pocket torch is your friend there, preferably have a mate with you for a second look. Get any warranty written on the receipt if you can.

Finally, if you can ( and you will be stronger than most of us IF you can! :) ) try and tell yourself you are only going for a fun day out and reduce the pressure to make your only aim to walk away with a "real bargain" - I really hope you get a gun, just make sure it IS the one you want. Happy hunting, let us know how you get on.........

well thanks for all the advice so far, i will take it all into account :)

one more silly question, if i end up do buying a guy what is the process, am i right in believing they right it on ur license and give you a form to send off in the post?

If it is a second hand gun you can reclaim the VAT, providing all other requirements are met such as legitimate business use etc. ONLY on the margin between the suppliers buying in cost and the selling price.

The invoice must show both figures and state it is issued under a margins scheme.

So a 500 quid gun, possibly a 50 to 100 quid margin divide by 1.2 and claim back between 10 and 20 quid. I really wouldnt bother tempting HMRC to look at things for the sake of a tenner.

there is only VAT on seconhand guns if the original owner claimed the VAT back when they bought it new

well thanks for all the advice so far, i will take it all into account :)

one more silly question, if i end up do buying a guy what is the process, am i right in believing they right it on ur license and give you a form to send off in the post?

Yes, they will write it on your licence (make sure you politely check the serial number on the gun against the licence as well) and give you a purchase report sheet, which must be given to the police within 7 days, some forces allow you to do this on-line, I personally copy/scan the sheet before I send it and make sure it is registered post.

Edited by Bloke

there is only VAT on seconhand guns if the original owner claimed the VAT back when they bought it new

I am afraid that is not quite the case.

There is VAT payable on the difference between buying and selling prices.

Whether or not the original purchaser claimed back the VAT has nothing to do with this.