horses, anyone?

bigbird

3 kids 2 ponies, I am pleased to say my son has no interest in horses. My 14 year old daughter has a 14h 2 Connemara and my youngest 7 has a welsh section A. I have spent endless hours waiting for their turn to do something at a show. We do it all on a budget, some of the families have everything and it seems to be a case of what the jones have we want no matter what the price, unfortunitly for my kids I don't have that kind of cash.

Wife has an Irish Cob that is likely to be joined by another one as it's getting old and is all but retired. She did do some things with it but not much and my 4 year old, although he loves the horse and wants to ride it all the time, appears to be more intrested in tractors and planes.

Lol my aunt has always had horses bred welsh B's for years Had 30 ish at one point now down to 12 I think, she used to show jump her eldest son rides dressage they do more talking than competing I rode a bit when a kid not been on a hoss since 9/11 few friends hunt and point to point its an expensive hobby

Edited by HDAV

A welsh Mare, Gypsy Vanner, Fjord, 5 Haflingers, 2 Arabs, Tennessee Walker, several welsh shetland crosses, a few shetlands , 4 minatures.......they all add up to 32. Most ride and drive, some just ride, and a few are just starting.

Last count we had 13 carts, wagons, sleighs and carrages to drive, and Dad is finishing up another this week. We also work a bit of ground with the Haflingers, and do a bit of logging with just about whoever is the first to the gate.

NTTF

Despise them.

Not horses themselves but horsiculture and what it has done to the countryside. Okay they generally only take up a few acres for paddocks etc but there is suddenly a no shooting exclusion zone all around in case poor ol dobbin is spooked by a shotgun. Lost some prime roughshooting in exactly this way and know of others in the same situation.

The other reason I hate them is that once open a time there were small holdings, a cottage with a few acres, like something I would like myself. Now said smallholding is an 'equestrian property' with the grossly inflated price tag that entails.

Despise them.

Not horses themselves but horsiculture and what it has done to the countryside. Okay they generally only take up a few acres for paddocks etc but there is suddenly a no shooting exclusion zone all around in case poor ol dobbin is spooked by a shotgun. Lost some prime roughshooting in exactly this way and know of others in the same situation.

The other reason I hate them is that once open a time there were small holdings, a cottage with a few acres, like something I would like myself. Now said smallholding is an 'equestrian property' with the grossly inflated price tag that entails.

Our horses and ponies don't give a hoot if we're shooting nearby - in fact one of the paddocks is alongside the manege and we used to often set up the trap from there and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Flippin agree with the inflated price of property though - anything under 25 acres is at a premium, aimed at the 'horsey' market

Our horses and ponies don't give a hoot if we're shooting nearby - in fact one of the paddocks is alongside the manege and we used to often set up the trap from there and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Flippin agree with the inflated price of property though - anything under 25 acres is at a premium, aimed at the 'horsey' market

you try buying 3/4 acres of land round here.....not cheap at all as i half looked into it and no chance