One for the legal buffs please....

roy8762

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:stupid:

My thoughts were as above. If he cannot manage his staff in working hours then perhaps it is he who has the problem. In any event constant out of hours contact is at best inconsiderate.

Communication is the answer here.

It has all the hallmarks of someone not fully coping with their position and disrespecting employees right to their private lives.

Open discussion and practical suggestions to avoid the need for out of hours contact seem the way forward.

Been there had that happen to me for quite a long time, its not nice,specially when your told when you return to work after you rest days your going to get a rollokin and this is the call you get when you have finished work maybe hours after getting home, (I work perm nights 12hrs)

as been said a word is needed pronto, he has no management skills or manors. When this happed to me on umpteen occasions it ended up with me blowing all gaskits and giving my gaffer a right gud ear full +. Never happed since. I would reccomend a quite word first though or slip another phone in his jacket pocket and put call divert to that phone from yours :good:

It realy does bug me ditchman.....just to add insult to it all we don't get any overtime payment for meetings, conferance calls etc... Works out to be a day s month unpaid....

Why don't you resign then?! That'll really teach them! :w00t:

citizensmith.jpg

The time for words and texts is over.

It's time to let your fists do the talking.

Don't listen to any of the namby pamby stuff on here - get straight into work and start knocking them out.

Dont use your fists untill both your feet are bleeding ,an old Norfolk trick . Why dont you just tell the man that you dont want out of hours phone calls unless its an emergency .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

It realy does bug me ditchman.....just to add insult to it all we don't get any overtime payment for meetings, conferance calls etc... Works out to be a day s month unpaid....

been there done it got the tee shirt....a company owned my rear for 4 years, i would start at 3 in the morning on monday and would not get home till midday saturday, i spent half my time in a plane flying all over uk and ireland...i had unlimited expenses, stayed in what hotel i wanted never payed for fuel, and shot and charged it corperate......you either accept it and play the game and get chosen to be kicked up the ladder....or you swim against the tide, and that will never work....if you approach your boss with a gripe you will be marked...and dont expect any support from your mates at work..if you involve them they will treat you like a leper, you have got to make a choice, get stuck in or make an exit stratergy........

sorry but that is how it is now and that is why i got out of it, and why im unemployed now !

regards

1 day a month?? I don't regard that as a lot. I don't get paid overtime (senior staff don't), but we are expected to work 'reasonable hours' extra in order to get our job done. I'm holiday this week, but I went in yesterday for an important meeting - yes, it meant taking some time off decorating the lounge, but in the long run it makes my job easier being there.

If i wanted to work to rule (with paid overtime) I'd have taken the next grade down and a £10k salary cut!! I know which I prefer, so I put up with the occasional call out of hours or when I'm on holiday. If you're not happy about it then speak to your boss - assuming he's approachable.

Sometime I have to wonder if I would be better off like you Ditchman.....the problem with your plan mark.... After he's hacked everyone off..... He just puts his phone to answerphone!!!!

so then either find out his house number or the staff do the same out of hours turn the phones off, then complain that under the working time regs that you are not getting your lawful break between shifts ( dependant on what your employment is as there are a few exceptions to that one )

having read the replies on here,,especially from employer types Are you expecting your employees to work to live OR live to work. ???????????????????????

I had this situation where I was on call along with another chap we didnt get a call out allowance but got paid 4 hours plus time actually taken .

The other chap liked a drink , had a wife that worked and had various social hobbies , darts ,football referee etc,,,,, to offset this he used to put the phone near a beam in his house which stopped his works phone from recieving the call (he had a landline which he refused to disclose the No. of) ,,,the upshot of this was I got all the calls . None of the bosses gave a toss as long as someone did the business

It started out that the boss was to get the call first then call us on call blokes and pass on the job,,,,,,this got stopped and our customers where given access to our call out no.s to call us direct

after a month of this situation I started logging time spent on phone (in my own time) booking the call out time as my start time and adding it all to my working time ,,,some weeks I logged 90 hrs of inclusive time ,,,,,,,,,, since you are not paid to answer work related calls out of hours and are not paid to attend out of agreed hours meetings ,,,,WHY are you doing it ,,you have a contract I presume which deliniates your hours of work and pay ,,if there are no attatchments to your contract to cover this renegociate your contract or TELL your manager undef what circumstances you will play his game

If he cannot address these issues during normal working hours he is MAKING you work outside the hours of your contract or at the least diluting your rate of pay and incidently NOT doing his job properly

which way do you want to live your life

having read the replies on here,,especially from employer types Are you expecting your employees to work to live OR live to work. ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???

I had this situation where I was on call along with another chap we didnt get a call out allowance but got paid 4 hours plus time actually taken .

The other chap liked a drink , had a wife that worked and had various social hobbies , darts ,football referee etc,,,,, to offset this he used to put the phone near a beam in his house which stopped his works phone from recieving the call (he had a landline which he refused to disclose the No. of) ,,,the upshot of this was I got all the calls . None of the bosses gave a toss as long as someone did the business

It started out that the boss was to get the call first then call us on call blokes and pass on the job,,,,,,this got stopped and our customers where given access to our call out no.s to call us direct

after a month of this situation I started logging time spent on phone (in my own time) booking the call out time as my start time and adding it all to my working time ,,,some weeks I logged 90 hrs of inclusive time ,,,,,,,,,, since you are not paid to answer work related calls out of hours and are not paid to attend out of agreed hours meetings ,,,,WHY are you doing it ,,you have a contract I presume which deliniates your hours of work and pay ,,if there are no attatchments to your contract to cover this renegociate your contract or TELL your manager undef what circumstances you will play his game

If he cannot address these issues during normal working hours he is MAKING you work outside the hours of your contract or at the least diluting your rate of pay and incidently NOT doing his job properly

which way do you want to live your life

I can see where you're coming from and agree with most of what you've said, but I like to live my life comfortably and enjoy a few hobbies. Sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth and being in a job today isn't what it was like a few years ago, there are plenty of people willing to do your job and most are willing to do it for less pay. Plus some people like to moan about the slightest thing (not saying this is what the OP is doing)

From an employers point of view - it is necessary to OCCASIONALLY call an employee out of hours. The people I value the most are the ones who do answer when called. However it only happens very occasionally, when there is a real emergency and my guys know that so are happy to take a call. With a small team (28 people) most are happy to help out of hours when the need arises.

What you are describing above does not seem to the same though. You should not be called out of hours on a regular basis unless this is part of you job description (being on call etc) and are being compensated for the inconvenience. A way out of this would be to consult your employee handbook and read the company's policy on harassment and bullying. They will have one - it will say something like - all employees should be treated with respect etc. Tell your manager that his calls are causing you stress and you feel that you are being harassed. Make it clear that you are willing to help when it is a true emergency but that taking constant calls is affecting your family life and increasing your stress. Follow the meeting up with a letter or an email - be polite and try to be as accommodating as possible. Don't say that you will stop taking calls - just ask if the frequency of out of hours calls can be reduced, but make a big thing about stress.

I can almost guarantee that the calls will stop immediately. The last thing an employer wants is an employee away on stress because of harassment - or one who feels they need to resign because of it. As said already keep a log of the calls and text - if you were to do this for a few weeks it will make your case stronger when you sit down with your manager.

I've decided..... I'm gonna just shoot him! What cartridge should I use??? 30g no 6? Or aaa? The bloke is a total ***...... We don't even get dinner breaks.... His words were something like .... You get quiet periods...... But being as I'm managment. There's always something that has to be done! I will say guys, thanks for the advice!

I can see where you're coming from and agree with most of what you've said, but I like to live my life comfortably and enjoy a few hobbies. Sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth and being in a job today isn't what it was like a few years ago, there are plenty of people willing to do your job and most are willing to do it for less pay. Plus some people like to moan about the slightest thing (not saying this is what the OP is doing)

I was the same mind as this,,, this became so that i was living to work ,,,,the working time directive was being bought in at the same time 45 hrs per week UNLESS you and your employer agreed to opt out ,,,however if this was the case the employers had to agree to offset extra hrs with pay AND time off in lieue ,,,,, for a line manager to use the words comply or leave nowadays if they are trying to meet targets or maximise profits without your agreement outside your agreed hrs of work/contract is now looked upon by tribunals as constructive dismissal or at the very least is a defacto undefendable case of bullying

Edited by harrypen

I used to work for a t--t like your boss who used to comute about 80miles a day to work and spent the whole journey each way on the hands free ringing his staff. He also just couldn't switch off and was obsessed with work. If you see the regrets thread you can see how he will end up.

Remember, nothing is for ever.

I've decided..... I'm gonna just shoot him! What cartridge should I use??? 30g no 6? Or aaa? The bloke is a total ***...... We don't even get dinner breaks.... His words were something like .... You get quiet periods...... But being as I'm managment. There's always something that has to be done! I will say guys, thanks for the advice!

again breaking the terms of your contract,,,,,,your break times are / should be oulined in your contract ,,,employment law states you should be given at least 30 mins in 4hrs 30mins of working day or if stuck in a bad situation as quickly as reasonably possible thereafter

I believe im correct ,,if your contracted for an 8 hr working day,,,the 4hrs 30 mins was /is to allow you a mid session rest /meal break.....The extra 30 mins was put in so that you could not be made to work longer than this ,,,,after 6hrs would apply to a twelve hour shift but even then you are allowed a 15 min break within the 6 hours