air gun v baor

Sheldon Cooper

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look guys not being funny but was it dead ???? It was stone cold so the guns capable . If you was to get the same treatment would you laugh it off ? No .

I'm not saying its perfect and yes a 243 would be better but it did work .

A while ago there was a thread on a shooting forum of a hunter, who, whilst in Africa, shot an Elephant with a 22RF.... ???

Straight through the eye & into the brain..... they reckon it took the Elephant 15mins or so to drop, & then a good while to die.... :sad1:

Just to prove that the 22 could do, & make his willy grow a bit......Top Draw Knobber of *******... :yes:

He wanted ******* birched for it.

So...the guns capable....... :blink:

Exactly..... 'Why on earth?" Is the question when you could get a .308 setup for about a grand less.

In summary "pointless"

yup! It's a beautiful gun, but you get 15 full power shots max to each charge, it's almost 10lbs before you add a scope, it's longer than either the Air Ranger 80 or the Air Wolf and only has a 5 shot mag. As an FAC hunter it seems there are far better options around! It might appeal to the Yanks across the pond more - hence the launch in Las Vegas I guess - but I can't see it being a winner here...

A while ago there was a thread on a shooting forum of a hunter, who, whilst in Africa, shot an Elephant with a 22RF.... ???

Straight through the eye & into the brain..... they reckon it took the Elephant 15mins or so to drop, & then a good while to die.... :sad1:

Just to prove that the 22 could do, & make his willy grow a bit......Top Draw Knobber of *******... :yes:

now your being stupid . We can't all control others . I didn't say it was right or wrong but the fact is its dead

But the fact is you did read his post....

The other fact is we'll never see the video of the boar he missed or didn't put down properly.

You could kill a boar with a catapult.... Would the fact that it was dead go any way towards an argument that we should all be hunting with catapults?

they use spears in Africa so argue with them , the reason I watched it is because I'm bored looking after my kiddies :) while its raining . Each to there own and all that :) I can't judge others as I'm only human

Don't forget the rifle is largely for the us market. They have different ideas on hunting laws (you can throw an axe or some areas allowing air rifle but not cf). If its deemed acceptable for the us market then if course they will explore a new avenue.

I have yet to see a team wild vid that wasn't an ad but I'm grown up enough to make my own mind up.

Pointless demo , if the boar is injured do they then shoot it with a solid 12g slug off camera , or a good 308 set up for a grand less as pointed out! Naf

I wouldn't want to be armed with that Daystate if a miffed boar decided get stroppy.

I don't know if Daystate "sponsored" that video or if "Team W*****" did it all off their own bat, but there is a general consensus that Boar hunting should be done with a powerful rifle and I am happy to accept the words of experienced hunters on this. In my opinion the video is likely to encourage the more suggestible viewers to push the boundaries of what is possible with an air rifle - and that's a bad idea.

I clearly remember being in a group of four on an HFT shoot some years ago, one guy had a Superstar springer and happily boasted how it would "kill a fox, took a few shots but it did it....". This is the sort of person who will watch Team Inadequate and set off after Charlie with his Gamo and a Rambo survival knife.

Shame on the video, I actually like the Wolverine - what a great hobby rifle for rabbits and squirrels - and I feel that Daystate make some iconic air rifles, but this is too far.

I wouldn't want to be armed with that Daystate if a miffed boar decided get stroppy.

That is the most important observation in this thread. I've been in central European woodlands and you would not want to be armed with a peashooter if you needed the second shot

Edited by Full Pelt

That is the most important observation is this thread. I've been in central European woodlands and you would not want to be armed with a peashooter if you needed the second shot

The shot count i so low you probably wouldn't have a second shot to back it up. Maybe they have fitted an axe head to the butt, it would offset it nicely :-)

The shot count i so low you probably wouldn't have a second shot to back it up. Maybe they have fitted an axe head to the butt, it would offset it nicely :-)

As it's a "303" perhaps a bayonet would be more appropriate. They could paint it black, add a cheap laser and market it as the Wolverine Air Laser Tactical, or WALT for short.

:lol: :lol:

The way i see it, airguns past .25 caliber have little or not real application in the UK without even going into the practical limitations of throwing heavy lead with air power. I cannot speak for the US but the market is different there and so are hunting practices from what ive seen and heard.

The reasons these companies pursue these rifles probably, and this is all my opinion, is to showcase the companies proficiency and skills.

I watch team wild because i enjoy their UK stuff but although, yes, trophy and safari shooting has economic benefits for the locals i dislike it as i dont believe its "real" ad probably doesnt represent in anyway the average viewers experiences of shooting, how many here have been on a shooting safari? it also strikes me as a very old fashioned idea.

Furthermore in regards to the video, it looked like a clean kill which is great, but then again they havent had a negative word to say about almost any gun in their possetion yet. Again the impracticalities of the gun would have put me off anyway. Ive heard pigs get teritorial and angry? so perhaps it would have been a better video if it had charged him, and might ot taught him a lesson. It comes up allot on shooting forums, but The "right tools for the job" comes to mind. Airguns, FAC or not, will stick to normal airgun quarry, not wilderbeast.

Presumably (!) thay have had their FACs conditioned for this??

BASC's guidelines would appear to suggest what the vast majority of us are saying:

"

12. Is my normal deer rifle suitable for shooting wild boar?

Potentially yes. Wild boar are very large tough animals. Their chest cavity is well protected by a thick plate of cartilage, muscle and fat, which usually requires a deep penetrating bullet to humanely control mature specimens. Wounded animals can become very aggressive and attack the hunter or worse escape and attack people out in the countryside.

Therefore the suggested minimum calibre which is accepted by most police forces is .270 and 130 grain bullet and a minimum muzzle energy of 2600ft/lbs.

This should be regarded as the absolute minimum and larger calibre rifles should be used if possible. The 9.3 calibre rounds are very popular on the continent and are well proven for wild boar. It could be argued that .375 and larger calibres should also be allowed for wild boar.

12 bore or larger shotguns using only a single projectile (rifled slug) can also be suitable for wild boar in certain conditions."