some rabbits with the hornet.

aister

went for a quick bang with my hornet tonight before putting the kids to bed. this is 5 of the 23 i shot in 40 minutes. havnt had the hornet long, so far 45 grain ppu seems to be about the best accuracy wise, sellier and bellot has the edge but its twice the price. i have tried a few home loads but still not bettering the ppu which is grouping at about an inch at 100.

post-29954-0-27370100-1349030083_thumb.jpg

Good shooting :good: But I have to say that picture looks weird and out of proportion, unless the rabbits are as big as dogs in Shetland! Did you take it on the phone?

What sort of meat damage are you getting with the hornet?

the photo is a bit out of proportion but the rabbits were really big for some reason.

as for meat damage it depends where they are hit and the range, sometimes you can hardly tell other times its a bit of a mess.

The hornet will take bunnies fine with head shots, never tried a body shot. It does hares realy nice with chest and neck shots. I havent yet wasted a carcass myself. Bunnies in the chest ? i think you will bust the innards but like i say never tried it but its a lot of energy to put into a small body

after everyone saying about the size of the rabbits and me thinking they were quite big too i had to nip out and have another look so i have just come back in. this is the biggest one of the five in the photo, he weighed in at 3lb 15oz and was 25.5 inches from front paw to back paw. now that i have done all that i am not sure how that compairs to an average one ha ha ha :wacko: :wacko: :shout:

post-29954-0-37242100-1349037372_thumb.jpg

id like to hunt these rabbits , bet they smash the foxes round your way lol,

are you sure the local school wasnt just grazeing there pets outside ive never seen such a large wild rabbit id say they beat the hares up

no foxes up our way :good:

i am quite surprised at the size of them because the park these were shot in is very heavily shot.

I shot a hare yesterday at 100 yd with the hornet. 40 grain v max and I did a lot of damage found the jacket well deformed just under the fur on the other side.

Thats exactly what i should expect from such a bullet choice. If you want them for the pot try a 45grn serria Hornet bullet @ 2900 fps or an RWS factory 46grn TMS @ 2550 fps. 40 grn v-max are meant to blow little furry criters up. Classic case of you get out what you put in LOL

S&B was the most accurate factory load I found for my Hornet. I was paying £8/20 for it. How much are you getting PPU for?

With the right bullet the Hornet doesn't wreck stuff. I used to front end the bunnies I shot and the backstraps and back legs were fine. They weren't game dealer friendly but for the pot at home they were fine. There's not much meat on the front end anyway.

That's a big bunny by the way. I've never shot one that size in my area.

S&B was the most accurate factory load I found for my Hornet. I was paying £8/20 for it. How much are you getting PPU for?

With the right bullet the Hornet doesn't wreck stuff. I used to front end the bunnies I shot and the backstraps and back legs were fine. They weren't game dealer friendly but for the pot at home they were fine. There's not much meat on the front end anyway.

That's a big bunny by the way. I've never shot one that size in my area.

i pay £25 for a box of 50 PPU.