Do pigeons really know what a gun is?

walshie

I have some annoyingly persistent pigeons that come in my garden and make a mess of our shed. If I go to the door and look at them they ignore me. If I go to the door holding an airgun, they fly off. Even holding my arms as if I'm holding a gun will make them vamoose double quick. Can something with such a tiny brain really understand when I can or can't do them any harm?

i think they do. crows certainly do. i was decoying crows from a hide, and as usual - they would jink off several hundred yards away at the slightest movement. a lady came past riding a horse on a bridal path at the back of the hide, i came out of the hide and had a chat with her, and the crows then contiuned to fly directly down the hedgeline they had been on, they definitley understood that a horse and person was clearly not a threat to them, as soon as she left, i stood in the same place and they would not come anywhere near.

I think all wildlife can tell by our body language if we are just walking or actively stalking. Same as the antelope who stand and watch a lion walk through the herd as they can tell its not hunting. Next day they see it and go on full alert as I reckon predators give off a "vibe" when in hunting mode.

Probably more to do with this than recognising a gun.

Im not to sure because on Saturday morning I was in my hide and after sitting there for a while I needed to strech so I stood up with my gun in full veiw , a woodie was flying past saw me with my gun and decided to fly over and have a look.

That pigeon is now in the freezer !

In a word no they don't. I say this as i remember having this discusion with a mate when we were out for chub on the river. A pair of mallard passed us and i pointed the bank stick at them and they flared just the same as if i was weilding the gun- suppose that makes it both No and Yes?

Birds certainly learn safe range if they be geese comming off the sand or crows sitting out in a field, it dont take them long to learn what height is safe to fly over the gun in the gutter in the case of geese or how far out is safe from hedgeline rifle fire in the case of crows.

I think all wildlife can tell by our body language if we are just walking or actively stalking. Same as the antelope who stand and watch a lion walk through the herd as they can tell its not hunting. Next day they see it and go on full alert as I reckon predators give off a "vibe" when in hunting mode.

Probably more to do with this than recognising a gun.

this will anser the question .why do thay fly over when you are making a cuppa or roling a fag is it that you are not giving off the hunting vibe

crows cant count either,

If 2 of you walk into a wood the crows will fly away, but if 1 of you leave they will return...'onest... a bloke down the pub told me

:shaun:

I have experience of this, when we feed our animals we get loads of jackdaws, crows etc come in after the animals feed. If I wait with the gun none come near, but if my brother walks and feeds with me then goes leaving me hidden in the hedge as soon as he is 100 yards away they start dropping in.