.17hmr or .22Lr

Jimmer

hi jimmer

i have both calibres and the first gun i reach for is the .22,i can manage head shots up to 100yds with winnie subs and absolutely love the gun which is an annie 1417,the question you have to ask is how far away do you want to be to shoot rabbits i prefer to try and stalk into them to about 60/70 yds if poss, but if there a bit nervous then ill take them at longer ranges.Also i have a DM80 mod which i think is one of the best out there

atb dave

Good grieve that is some world class shooting. I couldn't even see a rabbit at 100 yds||

The .22rf subsonic I tend to use round the garden as the bullet drop is bad, and .17 HMR a bit further out and the .17Rem up to 150yds or so

Good grieve that is some world class shooting. I couldn't even see a rabbit at 100 yds||

The .22rf subsonic I tend to use round the garden as the bullet drop is bad, and .17 HMR a bit further out and the .17Rem up to 150yds or so

:hmm:???

Ok, everyones eyes are different and everyones capabilities or limits are different, shoot within your limits whatever they may be :yes: , but 100 yards isn't World class. :no::good: :good:

I'm not trying to start some p****** contest, and there are no prizes here for the longest shot, but many would be able to make a 100yard .22lr sub shot on a rabbit.

Its a bit far for me generally, and I don't go looking for the long ones, I usually stay under 100 with the .22lr, but my best is a baby bunny at 192 yards with the .22lr and Subs (done the day after I was using the same Combo at Bisley at 200 yards), and I have knocked off 10 shots with the Semi at 100 yards on the range, all in the black in 1.7 seconds!

Whatever, it is commendable to know your limits and stay within them, there are plenty more who could benefit from your restraint! :good:

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

my best is a baby bunny at 192 yards with the .22lr and Subs (done the day after I was using the same Combo at Bisley at 200 yards), and I have knocked off 10 shots with the Semi at 100 yards on the range, all in the black in 1.7 seconds!

You've set a new benchmark, move over 704yd hare.

there is no question that the HMR is easier to shoot and obtain 1st round kills past 100yds, though the .22 lr with subsonics in the right hands can be used way beyond normal parameters with good ammunition in the right hands also- thats unquestionable. As a comparisom a 130yds LR shot bunny has about the same degree of difficulty as a 300yds fox with a .223, it seems even newbies think the latter shot is easy- so whats the difference? perseption pure and simple. Oh and a whole trailer load of BS

I have a .17 mach 2 and I love it. It has made my .22 redundant to be honest. It is fast, flat and of course very accurate and in my opinion quiet, not as quiet as a .22 with subsonic, but quiet all the same.

Less powder leads to better moderation, just you cannot silence the sonic crack as it happens after leaving the moderator

Got my license up for renewal and wanted a small rim fire for general pest control on the shoot and rabbit control as the .22-250 is a bit big and noisy. Was thinking of a .22 lr with subsonic ammo for noise reduction when the rabbits are side by side or so I don't scare off any of our pheasants during daylight hours. I thought the .17 hmr was a lovely round but still quite noisy or are there really good mods that can sort this out. Or is there a caliber I'm overlooking, but I do want to be able to get ammo easily.

Any help much appreciated.

In a vain attempt to get your post back on track Jimmer your first option should be the .22LR, silenced and buy subsonic ammunition if you please.

The .17 hmr is without doubt a great rimfire round. Muzzle crack and the cost of ammo when compared with .22LR is a downside, but a big plus if you've been using your .22-250. :good:

It's interesting reading all this hyperbole about wind/noise with the .17hmr. If you decide to buy one here are a few other things to consider:

1. If you shoot "pests" downwind you will get few shots because there is every chance they will hear the muzzle crack.

2. If you choose a short barrelled rifle and can shoot the gun from inside the "truck" in an incoming wind try this: Open the opposite window and shoot pest! There is a better chance you will shoot more of the same because "they" or it won't hear a thing, The wind and baffle of the motor will take the crack away.

3. I would use my .17 hmr in the wind in preference to the .22LR for corvids at over 100 yards . In fact wind takes the noise away from the .17. If you are after crows on plough or drilling they will often sit there after a miss and a puff of dust behind until you can line them up properly!

On a windless and still October night I would reach for the .22LR and subs every time.

Get both mate, enjoy!

Edited by Whitebridges

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I'll go for the .22lr with sub sonic and mod. I think the .17 is a great alround keepers gun, but most of my shots will be sub 80 yards in the day and far closer if lamping, its the noise that clinches the deal though. It will take a lot of getting used to shooting a loopy round compared to the.22-250, I'll have to rekindle my air rifling skills and get back to improving field craft. Thanks again to all who replied.

manum 3

as deckers said not world class just lots and lots of practice as a member on here(cooter, told me,thanks mate) get to know your gun and your scope and practice,also as has been said there is a place and distance for both calibres

atb dave

manum 3

as deckers said not world class just lots and lots of practice as a member on here(cooter, told me,thanks mate) get to know your gun and your scope and practice,also as has been said there is a place and distance for both calibres

atb dave

Thanks Dave,

I have been shooting for 45 years now and have got medals for shooting (rifle) so was a quite good shot at one time (not now).

One problem, I believe, out of the 100 "long" shots how many are kills and how many are wounded. We've all done it, taken the shot and had a kill but can you do it consistently without wounding.

I've spent many hours testing .22 rimfire and you do get flyers at times and to get a score of 100 at 25yds isn't that easy.

One can never get away from, mine is bigger than yours, and my shot was longer, but 50% people I ask, can't tell the difference between 50yds and 100yds anyway!!!!

These comments are not aimed at anyone, just my experiences over the years.

Cheers all

Shoot straight

The HM2 was released in 2004 and I guess you are about the only 2 owners in the UK, hardly a glowing endorsement of the calibre. The HM2 has died and is well on the way to hell. :yes: :yes:

The HM2 is all but as noisy as a HMR, but not as powerful or flat shooting, and it will never be as quiet as a .22LR with subs. :no:

So.. a round without the benefits of the HMR power and grunt but also none of the finesse or soft approach of a .22lr, and ammo price between the two. ???

I make that the Worst of Both worlds!

:lol:

I wonder how many bunnies actually need that extra 45-50 ftlbs at 100yds to kill them?

I have the .22lr, WMR, HMR aaaand the .17M2, because i have a use for all of them, but guess which one gets used the least!?

I wonder how many bunnies actually need that extra 45-50 ftlbs at 100yds to kill them?

I have the .22lr, WMR, HMR aaaand the .17M2, because i have a use for all of them, but guess which one gets used the least!?

:hmm: Nobody said a bunny needed an extra 50ft lb at 100 yards to kill it, the HMR is perfectly capable at head shots further than this and body shots with the 17g V-Max are instantly fatal far further. :good: Also a .22lr with subs has way more power than you need to stop a bunny at 100 yards, a problem may develop for some in delivering it accurately though.

The inference here is simply that you do not have much use for a HMR :hmm:

:good: :good:

Edited by Dekers

Thanks Dave,

I have been shooting for 45 years now and have got medals for shooting (rifle) so was a quite good shot at one time (not now).

One problem, I believe, out of the 100 "long" shots how many are kills and how many are wounded. We've all done it, taken the shot and had a kill but can you do it consistently without wounding.

I've spent many hours testing .22 rimfire and you do get flyers at times and to get a score of 100 at 25yds isn't that easy.

One can never get away from, mine is bigger than yours, and my shot was longer, but 50% people I ask, can't tell the difference between 50yds and 100yds anyway!!!!

These comments are not aimed at anyone, just my experiences over the years.

Cheers all

Shoot straight

This can be debated until the cows come home, I am not suggesting and NEVER have, people should shoot bunnies at 100 yards with the .22lr, I made it clear you shoot within your capabilities, if that happens to be 100 yards for some then fine, it may be 40 (or less) for others!

And I have shot many a competition with the .22lr at 25 yards and the bull was tiny, a possible was common (using outward scoring) with any half decent shooter, if I ever dropped to 99, or God forbid 98 I would go away and cry!

Anybody who says they have a 100% kill rate with any calibre against every quarry at every distance, is either a liar or they have just started shooting, and you can't guarantee you will never get a flier with ANY round! :good:

ATB! :good:

Edited by Dekers

This can be debated until the cows come home, I am not suggesting and NEVER have, people should shoot bunnies at 100 yards with the .22lr, I made it clear you shoot within your capabilities, if that happens to be 100 yards for some then fine, it may be 40 (or less) for others!

And I have shot many a competition with the .22lr at 25 yards and the bull was tiny, a possible was common (using outward scoring) with any half decent shooter, if I ever dropped to 99, or God forbid 98 I would go away and cry!

Anybody who says they have a 100% kill rate with any calibre against every quarry at every distance, is either a liar or they have just started shooting, and you can't guarantee you will never get a flier with ANY round! :good:

ATB! :good:

Yep, poppers and crackers happen. No ,22 LR ammo i have ever used does better than SK or the old Lapua as they were known previously in subsonic. I still recon on about 1 in 50. still my wounding rates with the .22 are far less than the best of shooters can achieve with a shotgun on quarry. The real trick is being able to collect and dispatch any wounders with a quick backup shot (something you only rarely see gameshooters doing) or via a dog