.17hmr or .22Lr

Jimmer

Got my license up for renewal and wanted a small rim fire for general pest control on the shoot and rabbit control as the .22-250 is a bit big and noisy. Was thinking of a .22 lr with subsonic ammo for noise reduction when the rabbits are side by side or so I don't scare off any of our pheasants during daylight hours. I thought the .17 hmr was a lovely round but still quite noisy or are there really good mods that can sort this out. Or is there a caliber I'm overlooking, but I do want to be able to get ammo easily.

Any help much appreciated.

Given a half decent rifle and scope and a little effort in selecting the most accurate round for it out of as large a selection as you can manage - yep, Winchester will be up there with Eley and SK, etc - coupled with a little practice with these loopy bullets, you should be able to easily add another 25 yards at least to Steve's distance in good conditions - more if you can accept a chest shot.

hi jimmer

i have both calibres and the first gun i reach for is the .22,i can manage head shots up to 100yds with winnie subs and absolutely love the gun which is an annie 1417,the question you have to ask is how far away do you want to be to shoot rabbits i prefer to try and stalk into them to about 60/70 yds if poss, but if there a bit nervous then ill take them at longer ranges.Also i have a DM80 mod which i think is one of the best out there

atb dave

HMR is much easier to use. I'm a half-decent shot, been shooting all sorts for years, but I'd struggle to put the first shot into a rabbits brain at 100yds with 22LR in the field. 50-60yds is more my style.

HMR will let me hit that brain past 120yds and kill a rabbit stone dead with a chest shot to 150yds. Obviously both calibres are capable of killing way past these distances, but these are real-world figures for clean kills that don't require sand-bags and range-finders.

HMR is much easier to use. I'm a half-decent shot, been shooting all sorts for years, but I'd struggle to put the first shot into a rabbits brain at 100yds with 22LR in the field. 50-60yds is more my style.

HMR will let me hit that brain past 120yds and kill a rabbit stone dead with a chest shot to 150yds. Obviously both calibres are capable of killing way past these distances, but these are real-world figures for clean kills that don't require sand-bags and range-finders.

Ye the 22 can be a bit loopy :) I tend to stick around 40 to 70 yards got the hornet for long range work.

The HMR is noisy, and you are not going to stop it, simply reduce it with a mod, it will never be as quiet as a .22lr with subs and a mod.

Noise isn't always about the quarry, it is sometimes about neighbours as well!

HMR excels with `17g V-Max, which will cost more than .22lr subs. But it will give you a decent bit extra reach.

You simply have to decide what works best for your land, many people have both and have a use for both!

I sold my HMR i dont miss it. .22 lr is cheaper to feed near enough totally silent on firing has almost equal 100yds windages to the hmr at 50yds a novice can hit a bunny in the brain every time from a good rest an experianced shot with good ammo (the key) can do the same at 75 or so without any rangefinding beyond estimation, 100yd bunnies are far from safe. If you have a need for something smaller and easier to moderate than the 22-250 to fill the gap from .22 lr then get a small centrefire like the .22 or .17 hornet, fireball etc. IMO The .17HMR with a SAK was certainly louder than my moderated .22 hornet with a T12 scout

I had both and got rid of the HMR. On a good day it is really accurate, but in the wind it can be a noisy pain. We have a bit of ground where 100 mtr shots are required and the 22 with practice will do this all day, Ok, chest shots only at this range, but it works really well, we have had well over 150 rabbits off this particular hill shooting across a narrow valley and into another hill, covered in warrens, it is really good shooting. We zeroed at 75m and then on my scope 100m is the third line down on the retical, a drop of 4 inches if i remember correctly.

We have been experimenting with NV gear and the 22 and it is deadly when used in this way. The shots are far closer typically and for the price of another rifle and scope good NV kit is available. Using a 22 with NV kit we have taken lots of rabbits and the odd very close fox. I found the HMR under gunned for fox at ranges where it was good for rabbits, and when close enough for the HMR the 22 with stingers is far better.

HMR's are really popular, but i find them really restrictive. They have a really useful band of i guess 80 - 120 mtr for rabbits, the .22 is good for 40 - 100 rabbits, and is far less destructive for bunnys

Got my license up for renewal and wanted a small rim fire for general pest control on the shoot and rabbit control as the .22-250 is a bit big and noisy. Was thinking of a .22 lr with subsonic ammo for noise reduction when the rabbits are side by side or so I don't scare off any of our pheasants during daylight hours. I thought the .17 hmr was a lovely round but still quite noisy or are there really good mods that can sort this out. Or is there a caliber I'm overlooking, but I do want to be able to get ammo easily.

Any help much appreciated.

i have hmr and 22lr,if noise is an issue 22lr is the way to go.i love shooting the hmr but find i have far better results with the 22 when lamping,and ammo is half the price.if i could only have one,it would be 22lr.but that said i still wouldnt sell the hmr.. :good:

went out last night a nd decided to take the hmr paired up with a lightforce 140 scope lamp.decided to try my sak mod on it from the .22 and found the accuracy a lot better than usuall it was a still night with little wind had it been a bit more breezy i would of opted for the .22 .both calibre good for bunnys but if id had to choose it would be the .22 for same reasons as already spoke about.

I think it's worth repeating that HMR is better than 22LR in the wind. There isn't much in it at all, it's very close, but people who leave the HMR at home and take 22LR when the wind is blowing are kidding themselves.

I'd like to see some of the 22LR supporters hit a 1" target placed randomly between 75 and 100yds first shot with a subsonic round, without a rangefinder, and with hollow point hunting ammo. The HMR will do it all day.

Have the best of both worlds and get a .17 mach2 ;)

Ben

totally agree .loving mine

The HM2 was released in 2004 and I guess you are about the only 2 owners in the UK, hardly a glowing endorsement of the calibre. The HM2 has died and is well on the way to hell. :yes: :yes:

The HM2 is all but as noisy as a HMR, but not as powerful or flat shooting, and it will never be as quiet as a .22LR with subs. :no:

So.. a round without the benefits of the HMR power and grunt but also none of the finesse or soft approach of a .22lr, and ammo price between the two. ???

I make that the Worst of Both worlds!

:lol:

Anyone who makes a comment along the lines of..."I don't miss my HMR", simply doesn't currently have a use for one.

That's fine, we don't all need every calibre, but that should not be interpreted as the calibre is flawed.

The .22lr and .17HMR are really quite different and offer considerably different levels of power, accuracy, range and terminal effect (.22lr is not capable of producing a satisfactory V-Max).

I have .22lr, .17HMR and .22WMR, etc, because "I" have a use for them ALL!

:good:

I had both and got rid of the HMR. On a good day it is really accurate, but in the wind it can be a noisy pain. We have a bit of ground where 100 mtr shots are required and the 22 with practice will do this all day, Ok, chest shots only at this range, but it works really well, we have had well over 150 rabbits off this particular hill shooting across a narrow valley and into another hill, covered in warrens, it is really good shooting. We zeroed at 75m and then on my scope 100m is the third line down on the retical, a drop of 4 inches if i remember correctly.

We have been experimenting with NV gear and the 22 and it is deadly when used in this way. The shots are far closer typically and for the price of another rifle and scope good NV kit is available. Using a 22 with NV kit we have taken lots of rabbits and the odd very close fox. I found the HMR under gunned for fox at ranges where it was good for rabbits, and when close enough for the HMR the 22 with stingers is far better.

HMR's are really popular, but i find them really restrictive. They have a really useful band of i guess 80 - 120 mtr for rabbits, the .22 is good for 40 - 100 rabbits, and is far less destructive for bunnys

Just to mix it up a bit, because thats what forums are about, you have your parameters, skill set and land requirements and it seems that .22lr is adequate for your needs. :good:

Personally I don't often go out to quite 100yards with the .22lr but find bunnies at 150-160 off the bipod with the HMR are not difficult. 80-120 metre bunnies with a HMR V-Max are simply point and shoot and head shots should commonly be straightforward, therefore not destructive! The HMR offers levels of power and accuracy unheard of with the .22lr, therefore giving many more options!

I don't see this debate/argument bandied about by so many (not suggesting you) that one is better than the other, they are different, in some situations the .22lr could be best, in other situations the HMR could be best!

You seem to be using what you find best in your situation :good: :good:

went out last night a nd decided to take the hmr paired up with a lightforce 140 scope lamp.decided to try my sak mod on it from the .22 and found the accuracy a lot better than usuall it was a still night with little wind had it been a bit more breezy i would of opted for the .22 .both calibre good for bunnys but if id had to choose it would be the .22 for same reasons as already spoke about.

you see this shows total ignorance of the comparable ballistics, on a breezy night the HMR is less affected than your .22 and that is fact. It is affected so you either compensate or simply restrict the distance you are shooting with. Noise is only really an issue round houses or some stock but I've rarely find it bothering bunnies. Often the noise just makes others look up, I've lost count of the times now where I have emptied one mag and started on the second from just pulling in the field gate. Its not a caliber that suits everyone but if you lamp from a vehicle its got the legs on it to seriously hammer rabbit populations.

you see this shows total ignorance of the comparable ballistics, on a breezy night the HMR is less affected than your .22 and that is fact. It is affected so you either compensate or simply restrict the distance you are shooting with. Noise is only really an issue round houses or some stock but I've rarely find it bothering bunnies. Often the noise just makes others look up, I've lost count of the times now where I have emptied one mag and started on the second from just pulling in the field gate. Its not a caliber that suits everyone but if you lamp from a vehicle its got the legs on it to seriously hammer rabbit populations.

Nobody can actually call the difference between a good .22 (ie not stingers etc) and a hmr on windage allowance. on paper we are talking 1/2" difference in a FV 10mph 100yd shot. Even in a 20mph side ripper FV its only going to be an inch with like an 8" correction, in the real world nobody calls that good. Totaly meaningless, the HMR is flatter thats it and the trade off is noise and dearer ammo

Anyone who makes a comment along the lines of..."I don't miss my HMR", simply doesn't currently have a use for one.

That's fine, we don't all need every calibre, but that should not be interpreted as the calibre is flawed.

The .22lr and .17HMR are really quite different and offer considerably different levels of power, accuracy, range and terminal effect (.22lr is not capable of producing a satisfactory V-Max).

I have .22lr, .17HMR and .22WMR, etc, because "I" have a use for them ALL!

:good:

You make a fair point BUT can that need be better covered by a small centrefire? i think for many it can be and far better, it certainly worked out that way for myself. Ok one needs to reload or have deep pockets if any real volume is being used but there are many lads who shoot 50 rounds of .308 at paper every single sunday morning across the country

Terminal effect on .22 lr has been answered you just need to exept you need to clean your barrel well before you try CCI segmenting holopoints again. Three sections bigger than the average HMR petal spliting off and a base section penetrating on thats heavier than a 17 in its full form is devastating. Its not just my gun that shoots them, my mates just got the new Varmint CZ and cleaned then a dozen or so and its also spot on. these are not my normal choice though as i am a SK guy through and through but i am trading terminals for total shot presision if i need a long shot

I think it's worth repeating that HMR is better than 22LR in the wind. There isn't much in it at all, it's very close, but people who leave the HMR at home and take 22LR when the wind is blowing are kidding themselves.

I'd like to see some of the 22LR supporters hit a 1" target placed randomly between 75 and 100yds first shot with a subsonic round, without a rangefinder, and with hollow point hunting ammo. The HMR will do it all day.

In my opinion if you can't consistantly do that then you shouldn't be shooting out that far. I know I'd be confident in that challange as I have spent a lot of time learning my ranges in every day walking about. Started with air rifle field target and progressed to FAC air. Now I have my .22rf some of the ranges people say thier only capable to is laughable and are ranges i would be comfortable in first shot hits with my daystate at 30ft.lb.