ROY

Right chaps opinions please, I have never really had a proper interview for a half decent job before and have one tomorrow!! So should i shave my beard and get a decent suit or just go in one of my cheapy shirts and trousers combo and leave me beard???

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As someone who has interviewed many people applying for jobs where I worked, I always 'said' that personality, and the skills they bring with them, is more important than the way the person dressed. I don't mean that I would have been happy if someone attended an interview wearing jeans and a T shirt, You can pick up a decent suit in Tesco's etc, without spending a fortune. As for the beard, as long as it's neat and tidy, then leave it.

Good luck with your interview. :good:

Suit up man, dress for the job you want.

CVs, letters of application and the interview process are still the same more or less as they have been for decades. It's a formal process unless you are specifically told not to dress up, and if it's a requirement that for some reason they prefer people not to, they'll tell you.

GL.

You really don't want to see a picture of me ugly ****** at best LOL. A brief description will have to surfice Big fella 18st, Hair going grey, beard deffinately in need of a tidy up but thats a given. Tattoos on fore arms.

Suit, acceptable to take jacket off when you sit down breath mint anyway don't go in chewing gum! Tidy beard/hair no jewellery except wedding ring (if appropriate) and watch, take a pen and a fresh pad/notebook I use a freebie fake leather folder, take notes have some questions that aren't about salary,holiday or benefits!

Gen up on what they sell do, who owns them ( PLC, part of a group etc) make a note of the names you have been I touch with (be polite to the receptionist and anyone you meet) phone OFF!

Relax and remember they want you.

Aside from the clobber, always have a good question to ask at the end.

Never use your last question to ask about holiday allowance/lunch breaks/working hours.

A good question to ask would be (given the right job, or if it's not been covered)

"What would you expect me to achieve within my initial 60-90 days?"

I'll dig out some docs for you to read. I send them to all my candidates.

Oh and depending on the interviewer and their social activities, see if they're on LinkedIn. You may find a common interest between the two of you.

Back to the clobber - I went to an interview last week and did Chinos, posh jacket, white shirt and burgundy jumper. It's down to who is interviewing you. My interview was for a tailoring company, so I'd rather impress with some seasonal gear than a suit which doesn't fit..!

Edited by Billy.

Good luck! Given the job involves dealing with strangers, if you feel nervous during the interview (entirely normal), don't try to explain it away - breath steadily and let it pass. If you still want the job at the end of the interview, tell them. Enthusiasm and willingness go a long way. Hope it goes well :)

Nick