Restoring a classic bike

Blunderbuss

Anyone else into classic bikes? This is my first restoration, the product of that fine British gun maker Birmingham Small Arms. It's a 1970 BSA A65 Thunderbolt. The bike was a runner when I got it but very tatty and it eventually it gave up the ghost so i decided on a nut and bolt strip down and rebuild. That was about 5 years ago! :blush:

It has been painfully slow for lots of reasons, and I only grab an hour here and there as I live away from home a lot. I also confess to nearly giving up on a few occasions and selling it as an 'unfinished project' when I hit problems along the way. I feel as if I'm on the home straight now though as the engine is back in the frame and today I spent the day fitting a new wiring loom and bolting peripheral hardware back on. I was clueless when I started this (I probably still am), but along the way I've acquired a city and guilds in Motorcycle repair and maintenance, learned to weld and do a bit of metal turning and few other skills. It's not a concourse restoration (by a very long way), but it's a hell of a lot better than when I started.

I suspect it will be a few months yet before it's on the road, but hopefully in time for the spring :good:

IMAG0285.jpg

That's excellent !! I am a powder coating sprayer and it's amazing how many people just give up when it gets tough or cold well done !! Ps: well done if you need any parts painting get in touch ;-)

Cheers, a local guy powder coated the frame for me, but there are a few parts I've painted myself which could either do with powder coating or professionally painting. I'll attend to some of these minor issues once I've kicked it into life for the first time!

Edited by Blunderbuss

I did the same as you with a Triumph T140V Bonneville. Was a massive achievement to get it sorted and up and running again. I sold it as soon as i had it MOT'd as i hated riding the thing. Too far removed from the sportsbikes i was used to. Still glad i did it though.

Yours is looking very smart. Keep us updated. :good:

have been into classic bikes for fourty years have not seen a better self build well done !isaw afriend build ablast cabinet from an old washing machine and a small sand blaster worked well,and used an old flatley clothes drier to dry small painted items.if you need help contact

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, and the offers of help. I may take you up on them. I will update this thread as I make progress, but it is likely to be slow as I'm not going to get time to do a lot more in the next few weeks. I found a couple of pictures of it 'before'. It doesn't look too bad in the second as the sun was shining and I'd given it a good clean. But up close it was bad! It's starting to look a lot better with the engine bead blasted, the barrels stove enamelled and the engine covers polished. I've got to get the tank painted yet, but as that is a few quid I'm going to wait until I've managed to get it running before I fork out what what will hopefully be the last big expense.

Dissasembly-30-Sep-07015.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

Love the picture of the bike with its reason for extinction in the background-Honda :innocent:

Sorry, but it's another Brit bike, a Triumph :yes:

Good job mate, I can sort you on a good price when you want the tank done mate. we have just done a fireblade tank and finished a full respray on a Douglas Vespa, that looks real smart.

Hmm.... I will be in touch. The tank has chromed side panels which I'm going to leave as be, they're not perfect but they'll do - I got a few quotes to redo the chrome and nearly had a seizure! I'd be after having the rest of the tank painted (black, bot the original blue) and the thin coach lines where the paint borders the chrome. Got the two side panels which need doing as well with the transfers lacquering over.

Well Blunderbus, I think you have a nice, well, nearly nice bike there, that will be a money pit for you and absorb all of your meagre pension.

I suggest that you sell it to me for, well, the phenominal sum of............... £100? .................negotiable, .......so much more than you paid for it....... too much I know, but I will promise to take you for a ride on the back once I have transformed it to concourse condition. I await your response....

Well Blunderbus, I think you have a nice, well, nearly nice bike there, that will be a money pit for you and absorb all of your meagre pension.

I suggest that you sell it to me for, well, the phenominal sum of............... £100? .................negotiable, .......so much more than you paid for it....... too much I know, but I will promise to take you for a ride on the back once I have transformed it to concourse condition. I await your response....

Jim you're all heart :lol:

Ive had my Triumph TR6P (Saint) for near on 30 years , i've nut and Bolt restored it once and part restored it Twice !

Its had a Hard life in my hands

But i Love it !

Same as Ted Simon rode around the world in Jupiters Travels. The single carb versions were always best.

Beat you on the rebuilds though. My XS650 has had 4 in about 14 years. Tuning it and running it on dope didn't help....