first shoot days - good or not so good?

Kes

As usual it had been a challenging year so far to say the least!

Plagued with foxes, 18 since June on less than 200 acres. Farm worked up earlier than all the neighbours so for nearly a month it was an island of bare earth in a sea of stubble. 75% of the partridge moved off to pastures new within a week of release! Pheasants really finding their feet and with a 10 acre plot of standing maize next door alongside all the stubbles holding them on such a small spot as ours has proved impossible.

Definitely got two legged visitors as well, heavy timber free standing highseat has been knocked over twice in last month, and at the weekend my brother caught our ex neighboury dogging out our wood!! No 'reason' for him to do it, he does'nt even have the shooting next door any longer, he just has a grudge against us/ our farmer! NOrmal excuse, his dog got away chasing a rabbit and he cannot get it back, which was a bare face lie as my brother watched him for a while before confronting him!

Hoping for

a: the plough to arrive at theneighbours!

b: the maize to get harvested

c: some hard weather

Had one small day to give the birds a flying lesson with 5 guns and 5 beaters, everybody got a brace to take home with the guns being very selective as to what they shot at.

mixed start really. im the keeper on one medium sized shoot and involved in another smaller saturday syndicate. had three early partridge days where i work and two out the three days were below what id thought we would get. big coveys still and dont seem to wana fly. theve been out for plenty of time. and the pheasants have got there wandering feet on. so its dogin in as much as poss. then the saturday shoot the just dosent seem to be the partirdges around there should be for this time of year. its gunna be a tough year.

We had our first day yesterday and were very pleased, the birds flew very well making some good sport for all the guns, everyone had some nice shooting throughout the day.

We ended up with 74 pheasants, 33 duck, 5 partridges (french) and 1 woodcock. These were shot over 7 drives with 9 guns for 306 shots.

Not had a day yet as it is the first year of us trying to set up a wild bird shoot.. We had a few broods and have managed to entice a lot of birds from the neighbours shoot,, hoping to have a day soon working out how to drive drives and place guns,, so I will keep you posted,,

What are your views on poaching ?

We have a few ` Wild bird ` shoots around us which are a good excuse for enticing our birds over to their ground. Birds will stray but I take exception against those who set out to bring them over their boundary. We are a DIY shoot and spend a lot of time looking after our birds 12 ordinary blokes who enjoy our sport. If you want to shoot pheasants put your own birds down and don`t` intentionally take birds from your neighbours it will probably end up messy.

Whear have all the birds gone? We had them a fortnight ago four days before the first shoot, didn't have them the next day when pegging out and havnt seen them since. Two poor shoot days now and I'm not seeing any large numbers anywhere. 20 acre of uncut barley on the boundary won't help but they're nor all in there!

Not had a day yet as it is the first year of us trying to set up a wild bird shoot.. We had a few broods and have managed to entice a lot of birds from the neighbours shoot,, hoping to have a day soon working out how to drive drives and place guns,, so I will keep you posted,,

So you're setting up a wild bird shoot by drawing in put down birds from next door?

If I had the shoot next door your feeders would be full of diesel

yup not really the done thing, we have a different issue a keeper who thinks its fine to dog back from our stubble. Just need to catch him in the process and sort it out in the meantime thats making me want to put more feeders out that way just to **** him off. You have to be fairly stupid to do it while sitting on a quad as the tracks are there for all to see

All my feeders are in the centre of the farm in my cover crops,, Iam not out to get our neighbours birds,, , I can't help it if the birds wandering over.. Both keepers know there birds have wandered over which we all joke about. And also I did say that my partridges where the wandering.. My grey partridges that is which has taken me 5 years to get up to the numbers I have,,

Edited by keeperdan