Should we bring back hanging?

Asa Bear

Hang em all. Hang em for petty crimes as well. Cut the hands from children caught stealing. If ur dog strays, hang that as well. If the milkman delivers the wrong milk, hang him also.

well said El Presidente! can i have the job as hangman at a tenner a dangle? i'll provide the rope ;)

Edited by beeredup

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang em all. Hang em for petty crimes as well. Cut the hands from children caught stealing. If ur dog strays, hang that as well. If the milkman delivers the wrong milk, hang him also.

i got short changed in the kebab shop the other night can we hang em all in there as i can't remember who served me?? :innocent:

Better safe than sorry, can't be too careful. Statistically, nobody who has been hanged until dead has short-changed a customer again.

Phew that's a relief I also don't like the bloke in paper shop either he looks at me shiftily when I buy my shooting mags

keebab shop? hang yourself for buying one!!! and before you do it, hang any Greeks in the country. we dont need their type over here. hang the jews and the muslims, and hang any christians. dig Michael Jackson up, and hang him for being a kiddy fiddler. hang Eamon Holmes for presenting SKY news, and that fit Naz bird who does the weather. Id hang Nick Grimshaw for being a fop, and id hang the Dali Lama for having a baldy head. Hang any breed of dog that barks too loud, and hang any SAS bloke who has ever carried a gun. Hang Pat Butcher for crimes against lesbians, and Nigel Mansell for doing MOvember all year round. Hang people if they pay their mortgage a day late, and hang Harrison Ford for making a dire 4th Indiana Jones movie just for the cash. Have we all got it out of our systems now? If not, id say "you want to borrow some rope?"

keebab shop? hang yourself for buying one!!! and before you do it, hang any Greeks in the country. we dont need their type over here. hang the jews and the muslims, and hang any christians. dig Michael Jackson up, and hang him for being a kiddy fiddler. hang Eamon Holmes for presenting SKY news, and that fit Naz bird who does the weather. Id hang Nick Grimshaw for being a fop, and id hang the Dali Lama for having a baldy head. Hang any breed of dog that barks too loud, and hang any SAS bloke who has ever carried a gun. Hang Pat Butcher for crimes against lesbians, and Nigel Mansell for doing MOvember all year round. Hang people if they pay their mortgage a day late, and hang Harrison Ford for making a dire 4th Indiana Jones movie just for the cash. Have we all got it out of our systems now? If not, id say "you want to borrow some rope?"

I didn't buy a kebab I got a BBQ chicken calzone and I think the blokes from turkey ;)

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

I'll fetch a bright torch ;)

The simple answer is that it can't be brought back. While I feel it's fair to say that there are some very extreme cases where people do deserve the worst that can be brought upon them, it cannot be done.

The issue is that even if we remade the police force and made them competent, and if they also stopped deliberately pinning things on people, making things up and generally doing people as they please, mistakes will always happen (and to anyone who does not accept that this happens - usually police officers - open your eyes, it does happen).

Proof? Look at how many people have been released from prison, or who were hung and later found to be guilty? They are the ones we actually discover.

It's bad enough sending someone to prison who eventually gets released after they are later found to be innocent, as that may ruin their life, but if hung then it's too late to do anything.

As to exporting them - I can think of places to send them, but I don't see that as a solution.

I think that it must be possible to reduce prison costs, and (if we ignore the daft EU human rights nonsense) why not use them as slave labour? I'm sure there must be something they could do.

Would it be practical to have them mining coal? I expect it would be worthwhile to have them do it, where it's too dangerous and expensive to pay people, rather than buy it in from abroad. Heck, it may be possible to export it and help reduce the financial crisis.

We've still got coal, it's just too expensive to pay people to mine it.

If prisons were made unpleasant enough, saving money at the same time, that would surely reduce the number of people prepared to risk going back inside.

The simple answer is that it can't be brought back. While I feel it's fair to say that there are some very extreme cases where people do deserve the worst that can be brought upon them, it cannot be done.

The issue is that even if we remade the police force and made them competent, and if they also stopped deliberately pinning things on people, making things up and generally doing people as they please, mistakes will always happen (and to anyone who does not accept that this happens - usually police officers - open your eyes, it does happen).

Proof? Look at how many people have been released from prison, or who were hung and later found to be guilty? They are the ones we actually discover.

It's bad enough sending someone to prison who eventually gets released after they are later found to be innocent, as that may ruin their life, but if hung then it's too late to do anything.

As to exporting them - I can think of places to send them, but I don't see that as a solution.

I think that it must be possible to reduce prison costs, and (if we ignore the daft EU human rights nonsense) why not use them as slave labour? I'm sure there must be something they could do.

Would it be practical to have them mining coal? I expect it would be worthwhile to have them do it, where it's too dangerous and expensive to pay people, rather than buy it in from abroad. Heck, it may be possible to export it and help reduce the financial crisis.

We've still got coal, it's just too expensive to pay people to mine it.

If prisons were made unpleasant enough, saving money at the same time, that would surely reduce the number of people prepared to risk going back inside.

If you can't make them work you can make them do pointless tasks. Bring back the following. The Crank is the best in my opinion. Must be soul distroying.

Treadmills for punishment were used in prisons in Britain from 1818; they were like twenty-foot paddle wheels with twenty-four steps around a six-foot cylinder. Prisoners had to work six or more hours a day, climbing 5,000 to 14,000 vertical feet. While the purpose was mainly punitive, the mill could grind grain, pump water, or ventilate.[2]

Shot drill involved stooping without bending the knees, lifting a heavy cannon-ball slowly to chest height, taking three steps to the right, replacing it on the ground, stepping back three paces, and repeating, moving cannon-balls from one pile to another.[1]

The crank machine was a machine with a handle that forced four large cups or ladles through sand inside a drum, doing nothing useful. Male prisoners had to turn the handle 14,400 times a day, as registered on a dial. The warder could make the task harder by tightening a screw, hence the slang term "screw" for prison warder.[1]

If you can't make them work you can make them do pointless tasks. Bring back the following. The Crank is the best in my opinion. Must be soul distroying.

Treadmills for punishment were used in prisons in Britain from 1818; they were like twenty-foot paddle wheels with twenty-four steps around a six-foot cylinder. Prisoners had to work six or more hours a day, climbing 5,000 to 14,000 vertical feet. While the purpose was mainly punitive, the mill could grind grain, pump water, or ventilate.[2]

Shot drill involved stooping without bending the knees, lifting a heavy cannon-ball slowly to chest height, taking three steps to the right, replacing it on the ground, stepping back three paces, and repeating, moving cannon-balls from one pile to another.[1]

The crank machine was a machine with a handle that forced four large cups or ladles through sand inside a drum, doing nothing useful. Male prisoners had to turn the handle 14,400 times a day, as registered on a dial. The warder could make the task harder by tightening a screw, hence the slang term "screw" for prison warder.[1]

all you are doing is producing really strong prisoners with your suggestion.

unless you mean to keep them underfed.

Hang em,hang em all! honestly if they are guity beyond reasonable doubt,give the 5 years to prove themselves innocent,then hang them.

But some people have been found innocent after 5 years, either due to police incompetence, a police stitch-up, or just new evidence/DNA etc.

By your working, these innocent people would be murdered.

But some people have been found innocent after 5 years, either due to police incompetence, a police stitch-up, or just new evidence/DNA etc.

By your working, these innocent people would be murdered.

yup thats true,but hey i think it's worth it,and before you type back, how would I feel if it was someone I know etc,i think with modern monitered policing,a 5 year time span and DNA etc,And if there was a 5 year span I think the case would be prosicuted by the defense to ensure all evidence was available,I think the chances of an innocent going to the Gallows is acceptably slim.

yup thats true,but hey i think it's worth it,and before you type back, how would I feel if it was someone I know etc,i think with modern monitered policing,a 5 year time span and DNA etc,And if there was a 5 year span I think the case would be prosicuted by the defense to ensure all evidence was available,I think the chances of an innocent going to the Gallows is acceptably slim.

While I fully understand your reasoning that it would do more good and would be worth it for the few innocent people who would die, I think that both on principle and the number of people who are innocent even after 5 years it is wrong.

Is it acceptable to kill one innocent person to avoid the cost of keeping prisoners? It's not possible to put a value on life.

It's not about the cost , it's about justice, while a murderer goes to jail I would imagine only the first few years would be he'll, after that they become institutionalised , that's assuming they hadn't done time before and. Settle in for all the security and training comfort and " understanding" from their therapist. But what about victim and their family who wake up ever single day and it sits with them for the rest of their lives. Switch on the telly, read a paper and there's another child murder, pensioner robbed/raped then killed. Is it worth the risk that an innocent might be hung? Yes I think it is, it's not about hanging being a deterrent, it's about justice and fear, if that prisoner knew that on X day he would be hung then he would know what it feels like to know the fear of death, with no chance of escape. There are a lot of beautiful kind people in this world, but there are a few too many that don't deserve to live

While I agree that there are certainly those who do not deserve to live, and that prison may not be enough of a punishment, I keep my view that it's not OK to sentence people to death as innocent people would die.

I do however feel that hard work would be better. More of a punishment than the current system, but not going as far as death for those who are eventually found to be innocent.

Probably not a popular idea as the mention of criminals normally makes people foam at the mouth but we should look at norway and its focus on rehab not punishment:

http://josak.hubpage...-system-success

http://www.globalpos...way-open-prison

Cost effective as the prisoners work

Inmates work between 8:15 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. The island is a farm, so there are cattle to tend, timber to cut and organic crops to grow. Inmates also work at a sawmill, using axes, knives and saws.

And reoffending rate of 20% , Cant find current UK rates but in 2007 they where 67%:

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/6312863.stm

Edited by gazzthompson