How to calm a ESS bitch

goldypurple

ive recently taken on a new pup, she is 7 months old and is a cracking dog,

she will sit and stay when told

walk on the lead fine, needs more training to walk to heal but hey she is young lol.

she will fetch and carry well.

so far im happy with her training

she is well exercised

but has anyone any tips on how to calm it down, she is always excited, jumping about etc, absolutely mad at times any tips ideas?

thanks in advance

After your dog has learnt to sit on the whistle and stop on the whistle you need to teach it to quarter/hunt up. Heel is the last thing to teach a springer, training should involve plenty of exercise in the way of quartering. It might not help immediately with the jumping and bounding because she's a springer but she will be more susceptable to self control knowing that you are structuring an intentional leader lead hunt.

Thanks for the sensible comments, much appreciated, some good points taken on.

i spose what is really doing my head in is the over excitement with her and when she gets like that, peeing herself all the time, any tips on a remedy on that.

i can be sat on the sofa with her by my feet, no other dogs about, and stroke her and she will wet herself etc

this is my third dog that ive trained, ive two sprocker bitches, and i never had this trouble with them

Not wanting to sound rude but maybe next time you buy a dog a bit more research should be done !

Outlander

as for your statement, i think is rude, you dont know me from adam, you dont know what research i have done, whether this is my first dog etc so next time keep it to yourself, thank you

My 12 week springer bitch wets herself occasionally. I believe peeing themselves when we pay them attention is the ultimate sign of acknowledging our authority. I find that it gets worse if I get frustrated by it and better if I ignore it. If I approach her she pee's but if I call her to me and wait a second or two whilst she jumps up at me she is alright. I don't have a solution but I know for sure that if I get frustrated and behave in the slightest way upset it makes her worse. Thing is that confuses me the most is that she isn't a timid dog. I think it just goes with the breed and hope that she will grow out of it as she gets to know me more.

I agree with much of the above. Spaniels are known for having a high drive and can be excitable. You have to accept that and work with it. Also, we don't know the full circumstances of your home life and training / working routine so a comprehensive diagnosis is not possible. Rarely is on a forum.

One consideration is the food you give the dog. If it has a high level of animal protein, say over 22% then that can cause behavioural problems in some dogs. Check the label on your dog food and if the animal protein is 22% or more then gradually reduce the animal protein content by buying a different food and weaning the dog off the higher protein food over three or four days.

age might take the edge off a little, failing that reduce the protein content in its food. If the dogs just fringing on the hypo though you need to just harness it the best you can it can be an asset. Many gundog breeds are getting too zippy its a direct result of heavy trial oriantation in breeding. Your sprokers were maybee not like this as they cannot be trialed through the fact they were cross bred. More red letters in a pedigree aint always a good thing in an every day working gundog. been there myself its like doing the school run in a formular 1 car at times. If spaniel trials consisted of one man with his own gun controling a pair of spaniels they would be bred very different

am i the only one on hear that has a ess that will be at my heal all day ? sometimes i walk around arranging shooters and beaters and forget about her :whistling: but when i turn around she is at my heal :yes:

Not the only one. Mine lays at my side while I'm fishing, is happy to lay on the sofa if we doing nothing, used to spend a few days a week with my wife at her work yet worked a beating line enthusiastically all day. She's laid asleep on the settee now, but in ten minutes or so when I put my wellies on to go mole trapping she'll be wide awake and leaning against the door so I don't forget her.

I agree with much of the above. Spaniels are known for having a high drive and can be excitable. You have to accept that and work with it. Also, we don't know the full circumstances of your home life and training / working routine so a comprehensive diagnosis is not possible. Rarely is on a forum.

One consideration is the food you give the dog. If it has a high level of animal protein, say over 22% then that can cause behavioural problems in some dogs. Check the label on your dog food and if the animal protein is 22% or more then gradually reduce the animal protein content by buying a different food and weaning the dog off the higher protein food over three or four days.

Do absolutely nothing of the sort. The pup is 7 months old and needs feeding on a good quality (not neccessarily expensive) puppy food. A 7 month springer is not half way through it's puppyhood. Feed it a good quality, highly recommended (by people who have some idea and you trust) puppy food. Many of them are higher than the 22% content the above suggested to reduce.

Edited by zeroin