Wildfowling - The law with multishot shotguns

Browning

I've been offered some wildfowling, which is good. :good:

My predicament is.......I want to use my Extrema 2, as it's the only shotgun I own that will shoot anything over 2 3/4" cartridges and is steel proofed.

My Extrema 2 is currently FAC multishot.

I know the law states that you can't use any shotgun capable of holding more than 3 cartridges in total, which means I can't use the Extrema2 in it's current state.

However, I still have the original crimped tube, rod, spring and end cap, which if fitted will limit the magazine capacity to 2.

So would this bring it inside the law, or do I have to go the whole hog and get it reproofed and back to SGC?

Has anyone ever done this?

Edited by Browning

Those were my thoughts Alex.

Another thought was just because I have it as FAC multishot, does it actually HAVE to be more than 2 shot mag capacity?

I can't see why legally you have an issue in that respect either, Its more of an issue the other way round were you to have at home the longer tube and the gun on a SGC that would be problematic but this way you are complying. I wouldn't advise the above approach of keeping the FAC capability and only loading two as that would be dodgy as the gun is still capable of being loaded with more.

they do stay on FAC thats not the real issue its whether they comply with the law on wildfowling and if on the marsh with a shorter tube it wouldn't be capable of being loaded with more than 2 cartridges.

The only real issue actually might be conditions as it wouldn't be covered by vermin control and i can't see that they would grant game or wildfowl on a gun technically in the licensed format illegal for the purpose

The only real issue actually might be conditions as it wouldn't be covered by vermin control and i can't see that they would grant game or wildfowl on a gun technically in the licensed format illegal for the purpose

Very good point. I recently got them to condition for AOLQ on my rifles, but doubt that they will have done the same for the shotgun.

Looks like I'll have to get it re-proofed and back onto SGC to be safe.

You can get magazine plugs in the US as some of their local bylaws ask for no more than 2+1 in some situations. I'm certain you would be able to mail order a plug (it's only a temporary fitting) but it effectively demonstrates that you can only load 2 into the magazine. If the law say you can't use more than 2+1, then I don't see how fitting a plug temporarily could be seen as contravening the law.

just copied this from a wildfowling website;

It is illegal to use a semi-automatic shotgun in the pursuit of wildfowl or game unless it is fitted with a device to prevent the firing of more than 3 cartridges in succession without reloading.

THE LORD BE PRAISED !!! SOME ONE WHO KNOWS THE LAW !!

part of it anyway, as its FAC you still have to work with the conditions attached to their use

The part I under stand al4x is if it is used to shoot game & wildfowl it should only be a 3 shot & even if it is a 5 shot on a firearm ticket it should only be used as a 3 shots ie 2 in the mag & one in the chamber . Have seen people coming up here & laying into Ducks & Geese all to often with 5 shot auto's & some people believe if they have a it on a firearm ticket they can simply because its on a firearm cert .

AS for the people from the boot shaped country well ! I puzzled as to why they are allowed to bring 5 shot auto's into this country to shoot game & wild fowl ? unless they are being supplied when the get here ??? . Sorry to mention them but it is a fact I & my neighbours have witnessed .

Pole Star

the problem is that people confuse two laws and mix them together.

the Firearms Act means that as it has been converted to 5 shot it is now and will remain a section 1 firearm and you will be required to abide by any restrictions placed on your FAC. ie usage/location/open licence

the question as to use of a gun capable of more than 2 in magazine and 1 in chamber is under the wildlife and countryside act.

this has been law for far longer than the current rules of the firearms act.

Although I have more law knowledge than most due to my employment, I know my limitations. when the penalties for cocking it up could be so great, dont take a risk... check with BASC if a member or a solicitor/other organisation if not.

Others may take the risk that you almost never get stopped, but if you do do you want to trust to people you have never met on a forum giving you advice on law???

I would ring basc to clarify the law if I was you.

I would think under the conditions on your fac you would not legally be allowed to shoot wildfowl even if you restrict it to 3 shots to comply with that side of the law.You are still limited to the condition on your ticket and can only shoot what your licence states you can shoot under the conditions of your fac.

It very much depends on you firearms department wether they would add the condition to your licence, they may even put a long winded condition that states "only when the firearm is restricted to 3 shots, you may shoot wildfowl on land you have authority to shoot." But if the land you are shooting is club owned then you need to make sure that you are allowed by them to shoot a firearm as most wildfowling clubs don't allow firearms to be used, although it would only be a 3 shot semi auto it would still be classed as a firearm.

I for one would be intrested to find out what basc have to say about it.

I would ring basc to clarify the law if I was you.

I would think under the conditions on your fac you would not legally be allowed to shoot wildfowl even if you restrict it to 3 shots to comply with that side of the law.You are still limited to the condition on your ticket and can only shoot what your licence states you can shoot under the conditions of your fac.

It very much depends on you firearms department wether they would add the condition to your licence, they may even put a long winded condition that states "only when the firearm is restricted to 3 shots, you may shoot wildfowl on land you have authority to shoot." But if the land you are shooting is club owned then you need to make sure that you are allowed by them to shoot a firearm as most wildfowling clubs don't allow firearms to be used, although it would only be a 3 shot semi auto it would still be classed as a firearm.

I for one would be intrested to find out what basc have to say about it.

+1

Better being safe than sorry.

the Firearms Act means that as it has been converted to 5 shot it is now and will remain a section 1 firearm and you will be required to abide by any restrictions placed on your FAC. ie usage/location/open licence

The shotgun can be re-restricted and placed back on SGC, it just has to go through the proof house before transfer.

The whole scenario is a strange one, and no-one that I can find (even BASC) have come across it before.

I've decided I'll either swap/part-ex for a 3-shot SGC or replace the original crimped tube and get it re-proofed back to SGC just to be safe.