Red diesel / VOSA

BRNDL

That's one of the most outrageous things I've ever read on here. Where do you draw the line? Buying stolen goods? Cutting out the middleman and doing the stealing yourself? It's all just an 'OPPORTUNITY to save money or make money, weather (sic) it's legit or not' after all?

Shocking

Holier than thou statement?

I am not defining the levels of opportunity in this statement, as there will be a differing severity for different crimes. YOU ARE RIGHT, it is all an opportunity, can you honestly say you have never taken an opportunity no matter how insignificant the value?

Again, it's a black or White scenario. You either have or have not. Criminal is such an aggressive word to use and covers a wide spectrum of wrong doing.

I am not suggesting the majority of people are going to start lieing on their tax returns, or start stealing goods and selling them on to profit, engaging in severe criminal activity.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have misjudged how annoyed people are that you are stealing from them, because that's what you're doing, just like the fake whiplash claims that cost every honest motorist another £90 on their premiums, every tax-dodging red diesel user is stealing from the honest tax-paying motorist.

Are you really surprised that they're miffed ?.

I think you have misjudged how annoyed people are that you are stealing from them, because that's what you're doing, just like the fake whiplash claims that cost every honest motorist another £90 on their premiums, every tax-dodging red diesel user is stealing from the honest tax-paying motorist.

Are you really surprised that they're miffed ?.

Can you clarify where it states I am stealing from anyone?

FYI I DONT use red diesel, the topic clearly states that I am looking for the repercussions of doing so, and also that I have the opportunity to buy some if I so wish.

How much do I owe you?

Edited by BRNDL

Can you clarify where it states I am stealing from anyone?

Here, for starters:

That is a difficult question for me to answer. Personally, I am employed full time and pay a healthy amount of tax and N.I into the pot, although I do have a business outside of my primary work that does not declare tax at all.

Now, I assume some people are going to jump all over this branding me a criminal for defrauding the system. On a no frills approach I would agree with you.

Can you tell me what the turn over is on this business to have you assume I need to pay any tax?

Ok

I wasnt going to do this, but here it goes.

The business that I have is cleaning driveways around my local area. I charge £30.00 per drive any ONLY do this on a Saturday morning, so it earns me £30.00 a week. I have purchased a pressure washer for £250.00 and other accessories that leave the assets at around £500.00. I am not even sure if I have broken even yet as I do it as and when I can be bothered. I started it as a little something to get me out of bed on a saturday, and that is the honest truth.

I already work a 40+ hour week, this business is more of a hobby to date than an income driver. I pay circa £800 pm in tax and N.I each month, so please dont suggest I am ripping off the tax man to such an extent that you feel offended by me earning an extra £30.00 per week sweeping driveways.

Its only your imagination and the perception of what you read from others on here that allows you to think that I am a tax evading notorious criminal like some have suggested on here.

Like i have stated above, if you feel this means that I am a criminal then have a good long look at yourselves and ask the same question to the man in the mirror...have I ever knowingly, no matter how large or small defrauded the system? I think you MAY find some truth and controversial reckonings are to be had.

I hope this clears things up a little...and if you still have the perception that I am indeed a criminal then for that I apologise, but I wont change my current tack.

Edited by BRNDL

I and everyone I know think people who deliberately defraud the exchequer, whether MPs or red diesel users are fraudsters and yes, criminals. Perhaps that makes me 'holier than thou' in your eyes, but tells me all I need to know about your morality

I am not defining the levels of opportunity in this statement, as there will be a differing severity for different crimes. YOU ARE RIGHT, it is all an opportunity

The unqualified statement of yours I quoted, give the distinct impression that you would be willing do ANYTHING illegal to save or make a few quid. If that's not what you meant then you need to look at your communication skills. If it is what you meant then I hope your mates keep a padlock on their gear and I hope the law catches up with you as soon as possible :(

can you honestly say you have never taken an opportunity no matter how insignificant the value?

Yes I can say that. I have never knowingly bought stolen, knock off or illegally imported goods - nor would I.

Edited by Blunderbuss

I and everyone I know think people who deliberately defraud the exchequer, whether MPs or red diesel users are fraudsters and yes, criminals. Perhaps that makes me 'holier than thou' in your eyes, but tells me all I need to know about your morality

The unqualified statement of yours I quoted, give the distinct impression that you would be willing do ANYTHING illegal to save or make a few quid. If that's not what you meant then you need to look at your communication skills. If it is what you meant then I hope your mates keep a padlock on their gear and I hope the law catches up with you as soon as possible :(

Yes I can say that. I have never knowingly bought stolen, knock off or illegally imported goods - nor would I.

I want to show how reasonably acceptabe it is for a healthy proportion of people to accept something that has not had some, or any duty paid on it. Maybe this is a generation issue or I have got this totally wrong.

I DO NOT CONDONE THE SALE OF STOLEN GOODS, I HAVE NOT, NOR INTEND TO ENGAGE IN SUCH ACTIVITY.

I DONT NOT DECLARE MY £30.00 PER WEEK EXTRA INCOME, THEIRFORE YOU FEEL I AM A CRIMINAL.

^^^Just clearing a few things up for you^^^

Edited by BRNDL

I DONT NOT DECLARE MY £30.00 PER WEEK EXTRA INCOME, THEIRFORE YOU FEEL I AM A CRIMINAL.

Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"

Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "

Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"

Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"

Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

I want to show how reasonably acceptabe it is for a healthy proportion of people to accept something that has not had some, or any duty paid on it. Maybe this is a generation issue or I have got this totally wrong

I think you will find its a minority of people who think like that, I certainly hope so. As for it being a generational thing, I don't know how old you are, but my 21 and 24 year old kids know its wrong, as do their mates. IMO, your second option is the correct one

I DO NOT CONDONE THE SALE OF STOLEN GOODS, I HAVE NOT, NOR INTEND TO ENGAGE IN SUCH ACTIVITY.

Glad to hear it

You are confusing me with someone else, I never mentioned your extra income. I think you are a 'potential' criminal because by your own admission you are considering running your Audi A6 on red diesel, something you know to be illegal. And there is no need to shout by the way.........

^^^Just clearing a few things up for you^^^

I'm very clear as to where you stand, thank you for the warning.

I think you will find its a minority of people who think like that, I certainly hope so. As for it being a generational thing, I don't know how old you are, but my 21 and 24 year old kids know its wrong, as do their mates. IMO, your second option is the correct one

Ok, I accept that maybe I am wrong to a certain degree...but I still think you need to open you eyes a little. If I offered your lad a bottle of Jack Daniels for £5.00 ( if he drinks it ) and he was on the way to buy some anyway for £25.00, you are confident he would turn me down? If he would then good on you for perfect parenting skills. Why dont you ask him this evening and let us know what he says? May help prove a point either way?

Glad to hear it

You are confusing me with someone else, I never mentioned your extra income. I think you are a 'potential' criminal because by your own admission you are considering running your Audi A6 on red diesel, something you know to be illegal. And there is no need to shout by the way.........

Apologies for this...

Potential criminal...lol, what a hollow statement to make. So because I have considered it I have the "potential" to be a criminal...please! So any thoughts you have that are outside of the law proclaims the potential to be a criminal...

I'm very clear as to where you stand, thank you for the warning.

Sorry I have replied between your quotes and resubmitted the whole post...^^^

Edited by BRNDL

The business that I have is cleaning driveways around my local area. I charge £30.00 per drive any ONLY do this on a Saturday morning, so it earns me £30.00 a week. I have purchased a pressure washer for £250.00 and other accessories that leave the assets at around £500.00. I am not even sure if I have broken even yet as I do it as and when I can be bothered. I started it as a little something to get me out of bed on a saturday, and that is the honest truth.

if you earn 40K a year what on earth are you doing washing driveways on saturdays?

if you earn 40K a year what on earth are you doing washing driveways on saturdays?

I want to build the business and have someone working for me part time...It is still in its infancy. I would rather get up and be earning money for 8am in a morning and be finished for 10am with £30.00 in my pocket. Plus what is wrong with earning money cleaning driveways. I am also looking at setting up a recruitment agency early next year, should I not do that either because I earn reasonable money?

No need to drag my income into it really, I like working, especially for myself.

Edited by BRNDL

If I offered your lad a bottle of Jack Daniels for £5.00 ( if he drinks it ) and he was on the way to buy some anyway for £25.00, you are confident he would turn me down? If he would then good on you for perfect parenting skills. Why dont you ask him this evening and let us know what he says? May help prove a point either way?

My son is away at university so I won't get the chance to ask him tonight, but I'm fairly confident of what his answer would be for two reasons. Firstly, he watched a TV documentary with me about knock off booze a little while ago. Lithuanian crime gangs selling mass produced rot gut vodka and bourbon (yes, JD) in very realistic bottles. The contents were likely to make you ill and the proceeds went to fund drugs, prostitution, slave labour gangs and human trafficking. My son is smarter than that and likes to sleep with an easy conscience at night, do you? The other reason is I have bought him some Woodford Reserve Kentucky bourbon back from the US - legally duty free of course :)

Edited by Blunderbuss

My son is away at university so I won't get the chance to ask him tonight, but I'm fairly confident of what his answer would be for two reasons. Firstly, he watched a TV documentary with me about knock off booze a little while ago. Lithuanian crime gangs selling mass produced rot gut vodka and bourbon (yes, JD) in very realistic bottles. The contents were likely to make you ill and the proceeds went to fund drugs, prostitution, slave labour gangs and human trafficking. My son is smarter than that and likes to sleep with an easy conscience at night, do you? The other reason is I have bought him some Woodford Reserve Kentucky bourbon back from the US - legally duty free of course :)

Ok, again I appreciate your views...and yes I sleep very well.

Thank you. :)

Edited by BRNDL

BRNDL - you really need to read what people write before you go off on one. It might make you appear more intelligent - which wouldn't really be that hard.

Perhaps you could give us a figure at which undeclared earnings become taxable.

£30 per week - no problem - ignore it.

£300 per week - no problem - ignore it.

£3000 per week - no problem - ignore it.

P.S. You did say that you wouldn't comment, but still feel the need to react and demonstrate your superior logic. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the record, could you let me know if you and Dennis are related, or went to the same school?

I want to build the business and have someone working for me part time...It is still in its infancy. I would rather get up and be earning money for 8am in a morning and be finished for 10am with £30.00 in my pocket. Plus what is wrong with earning money cleaning driveways. I am also looking at setting up a recruitment agency early next year, should I not do that either because I earn reasonable money?

No need to drag my income into it really, I like working, especially for myself.

If you earn £40K and your are not declairing the £1,560 you will earn in a year washing driveways then you appear to be evading the tax you should pay on £1,560. Wikipedia defines tax evasion as follows:

Tax evasion is the general term for efforts by individuals, corporations, trusts and other entities to evade taxes by illegal means. Tax evasion usually entails taxpayers deliberately misrepresenting or concealing the true state of their affairs to the tax authorities to reduce their tax liability and includes in particular dishonest tax reporting, such as declaring less income, profits or gains than actually earned or overstating deductions,.

Tax evasion is an activity commonly associated with the informal economy and one measure of the extent of tax evasion is the amount of unreported income, namely the difference between the amount of income that should legally be reported to the tax authorities and the actual amount reported, which is also sometimes referred to as the tax gap.

I appreciate tha Wikipedia may not be 100% accurate. You may not be the biggest criminal on earth but yes you appear to be a criminal. Harsh words but isn't that the reality?

If you earn £40K and your are not declairing the £1,560 you will earn in a year washing driveways then you appear to be evading the tax you should pay on £1,560. Wikipedia defines tax evasion as follows:

Tax evasion is the general term for efforts by individuals, corporations, trusts and other entities to evade taxes by illegal means. Tax evasion usually entails taxpayers deliberately misrepresenting or concealing the true state of their affairs to the tax authorities to reduce their tax liability and includes in particular dishonest tax reporting, such as declaring less income, profits or gains than actually earned or overstating deductions,.

Tax evasion is an activity commonly associated with the informal economy and one measure of the extent of tax evasion is the amount of unreported income, namely the difference between the amount of income that should legally be reported to the tax authorities and the actual amount reported, which is also sometimes referred to as the tax gap.

I appreciate tha Wikipedia may not be 100% accurate. You may not be the biggest criminal on earth but yes you appear to be a criminal. Harsh words but isn't that the reality?

I totally agree with you. I have never defended this. What I am saying is if I am a criminal then how many others on here are? Its the Holier than thou people that I find quite irritating at times.

As for £1.5k, I wish... maybe next year.

Ok let's all put our hands up

I don't have any convictions but 1) I do occasionally break the speed limit on motorways and 2) I did once shoot a bird that I thought was a partridge that turned out not to be a partridge. In my defence everybody I was with also thought it was a partridge (and it was a stunning shot.)

Edited by AVB