Am I Being a big wuss ?

Salop Matt

Ive always shot either an over and under or semi-auto ! But have settled on shooting a Semi auto and I love it real comfortable and am shooting well with it (for me)!

How ever for any formal shooting i dont have a SXS or O/U to use, so when I last went clay shooting with the FIL he took his old AYA sxs and I had a bash with it .....

28gram cartridge the exact same as I shoot in my semi and after 20 shots my shoulder really knew about it and it wasnt enjoyable!

Has the semi auto left me a softie or are SXS`s always heavy on the shoulder ?

This was with 28 grams so what the heck 30gram or 32gram must be like I dread to think !

FIL is considering selling his SXS and am considering buying it ! But not if its going to punish me every time !

i started with a semi, then got a cheapo side by side, it did take some getting used to, but persevere and you will get used to it in no time at all. the more you are tense and you are expecting the kick, the more it will hurt, just forget about the gun and focus on the target :good:

Edited by pegasus bridge

The general opinion is that SxSs are lighter guns and will therefore be punchier, however IMO it's all about gun fit/mount.

I've got an AYA side by side which comes up beautifully and fits like a glove due to just the right amount of cast on the stock. I always shoot it gun-down and I've shot all sorts in it (this season been using 30 and 32gms) , and basically don't feel it at all even if I'm just wearing a t-shirt (and I used to be a bit of a pansy about recoil when I first started shooting).

Experience, mount, fit. :good:

Edited by Thunderbird

Just what you are used to (or you are perhaps a big girl)...I went and shot 100 bird sporting with a mate, I was using my Maxus and he was using an AYA SxS....after about half the stands I had a go with his gun with exactly the same carts as through the auto and it didn't half kick in comparison! Autos are nicer for a lot of carts, I only use my game gun for walked up / rough shooting so a handful of 30g game loads is fine.

I shoot 24g loads on Claus through my O/U and they ate nice low recoil carts, no discernible disadvantage with the lighter loads (got a trophy yesterday using them so they must work).

I use SxSs when ever I can only using my Browning Gold S\A when wildfowling with heavy loads. Providing you get a ballanced load a SxS is fine . If its a light game gun then stick to 28gr loads . I can shoot a hundred or more at pigeons in a day with no recoil problems in my Kestrel game gun or AYA no 3. But of course if your gun does not fit you then expect recoil problems no matter what load you use. I have one Spannish SxS that is too short in the stock and it used to bruse my second finger when in contact with the trigger guard. However cured the problem with a rubber pad on the trigger guard.